Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I want to add a front panel with a card reader to my new PC, and I was excited at how the NZXT Aperture M has a grid on its face that matches my CM Storm Scout 2 case nicely. But, while this has a good rating on Amazon, there are many notes there about how easy it is to bend the pins in the CF slot, which I find bothersome. Compact Flash is obviously not the most commonly used type of media card these days, so that's not a deal breaker, but I figured I'd ask if anyone had a recommendation for this type of unit that combines functionality and cool looks before I commit to see if there's anything cool out there that I've missed.

Flashy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bit Battles.
Aeolus Shift.
Link: 30 Amazing Behind The Scenes Movie Moments.
Stories: You won’t believe what scientists found in chicken nuggets. Hint: Not chicken.
Iconic 'Afghan girl' image was almost cut, photographer reveals.
Science: Lonely Alien Planet Discovered Without a Parent Star. Thanks Jeffrey.
Your Local Puddle May Be a Source of Biofuel.
Arizona solar plant achieves six hours after sun goes down.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2013, 12:28 HorrorScope

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 18:40:
I limit myself to 1 Big Mac a month, otherwise I don't eat any fast food....it just isn't a good idea. I see it like smoking, we know too much about the shit that is in it to justify doing it.

To me a lot of food sold/prepared outside of fast food is just as bad. Tons of restaurants give us really way too much, calorie count vs fast food is usually worse and then who's to say who's ingredients are really better. Then sprinkle in the Sysco issue... Then I can buy as much crap from the grocer if I choose, once again really no better than fast food.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2013, 07:59 Julio

1badmf wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 15:18:
chicken nuggets, if that bothers you don't eat hotdogs then. nothing surprising about those results. i'm still gonna eat them.

I think some people had the perception that chicken nuggets were more nutritious that hot dogs. I saw a show on 'the making of hot dogs' a few years back. Before the commercial break there was a guy smoking a cigar while throwing pink stuff in a hopper behind him. After the commercial, the cigar was gone. I'm pretty sure I know where it went

To me the only thing surprising about the nuggets story is that when they say 'white meat' nuggets, that's probably a small difference to the 'dark meat' nuggets.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2013, 04:56 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 14:55:

It's neat technology, but egads, if 3 square miles is needed to produce only 280 Megawatts what size facility would be needed to power a city the size of New York? The number of mirrors/panels and the acreage to put them on would be HUGE.

Yeah, this plant is one of the first of its kind. Research is toward using liquid sodium instead of oil. It's higher melting point and density would allow it to be a more efficient heat conductor allowing more MW per sq mile. But yeah, even so, these kinds of plants take up space. Luckily AZ & NM are largely unpopulated...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2013, 01:41 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 14:49:

I've been reading about concentrated solar power (CSP) for about a decade, and think it's a key component if future energy production since it allows solar created energy to be used at night. Glad to read that this one is operating successfully.

The SW US could produce most of the electricity for the entire US using a combination of PV and CSP. High voltage DC only loses 5% of it's power over 1000 miles, so the distance isn't really a concern.

It's neat technology, but egads, if 3 square miles is needed to produce only 280 Megawatts what size facility would be needed to power a city the size of New York? The number of mirrors/panels and the acreage to put them on would be HUGE.

It's still a fledgling technology which will only continue to improve over time. And other areas will see combinations of solar, wind, water, etc.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2013, 00:21 Loopy

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 00:08:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 16:18:
Yeah, it's called raw chicken, lots of people are grossed out by it (a lot slimier and squishy than raw beef, etc.), despite the fact they like to eat it once it's cooked. Grow a pair, Sally.

OK, jackass. Too bad for you I grew up on a farm. I've killed chickens for dinner with a hatchet. Guess fucking what? They ain't neon goddamn pink inside. Maybe you need to grow a brain?

I don't know what kind of farm you grew up on, but on the one I live on, I open up chickens all the time and they're pink as day. Not only that, but in most of them I can even identify the Nuggets organ, right next to the heart and the balls. I heard they made a videogame out of the place I live at, called Stoker or Stalker or some such.

cluck cluck

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2013, 00:08 Agent.X7

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 16:18:
Yeah, it's called raw chicken, lots of people are grossed out by it (a lot slimier and squishy than raw beef, etc.), despite the fact they like to eat it once it's cooked. Grow a pair, Sally.

OK, jackass. Too bad for you I grew up on a farm. I've killed chickens for dinner with a hatchet. Guess fucking what? They ain't neon goddamn pink inside. Maybe you need to grow a brain?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 22:25 Creston

Boomer, PHJF and I had quite a good time being chased by cops while we were driving a firetruck. Of course, PHJF was hanging from the back, and the cops rammed him straight off. I had to stop driving I was laughing so hard.

The impromptu warfare we had with two other players around the Sandy Shores airfield was pretty awesome too. Or the time when we started a job, and he spawned 15 feet in the air and promptly splattered right in front of us. Hehehe.

There's a lot of fun to be had in GTA-O when it works.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 21:51 Loopy

I haven't been able to eat chicken nuggets since I puked on them as a kid and realized belatedly they didn't look that different going in than coming out that way. :/

Guess I dodged a nugget with that one.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 20:31 Yosemite Sam

Made lvl 10 on survivor, 18 k payout ... Plus at the end of lvl 8 you get minigun drops which you keep when going back to freeroam. Course seeing as you get punished for blowing up players cars its a dangerous weapon to use.

EDIT Heh, k so I boost a car from some ai woman. Shes giving me the do you know who I am speech as I haul her ass out of the car. As Im driving away I get a phone call from her, basically saying youre a dead man. Im thinking ya right, then a 1000 dollar bounty gets placed on me. Gotta love the attention to detail, kudos Rockstar.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2013, 21:06.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 19:23 xXBatmanXx

Booby no prick deal went through.... ActiBlizz now sole owner of itself....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 18:40 xXBatmanXx

I limit myself to 1 Big Mac a month, otherwise I don't eat any fast food....it just isn't a good idea. I see it like smoking, we know too much about the shit that is in it to justify doing it.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 17:26 Prez

When it comes to fast food I have one rule pretty much: if it tastes good, I eat it. Depending on how healthy or unhealthy it is I'll moderate it accordingly, but I love me some McNuggets drenched in sweet and sour sauce (Hmm, why is my arm tingling? ). Surely the two unnamed fast food outfits are McDonalds and Wendy's, since they are the two big ones that sell them.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 16:18 jacobvandy

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 16:08 Agent.X7

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 13:12:
Julio wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 10:00:
Yum, gotta love those chicken nuggets. Beaks & claws all round. Not totally surprising that chicken parts = chicken. I already avoid them, so no worries here.

It's not beaks and claws, lol. Though I have rarely gotten a little piece of bone in something like that (just spit it out like you do when you get something tough off a drumstick). These "scientists" (the one they quote is a professor/MD) found that the nuggets they cut up were half fat, skin, veins, connective tissue, and microscopic bone dust... AKA everything you get when you eat any cut of chicken with the bone in. Oooh, so terrible! It's not like human beings have thrived for thousands of years eating every morsel of an animal they could, no, we must be more discerning, like a child who wants the crusts cut off his PB&J.

Yeah, have you ever seen them make the goo that they put into chicken nuggets? It's pink, nasty paste.

http://youtu.be/rkDaajzamfA

And this is how they make the nuggets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ftiITYwJkk

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 15:34 HorrorScope

Question: What is everyone's thoughts on solar today. They pitch this now... We'll take your current Elec Bill and charge you 80% of that each month until it is paid off. In return we setup your solar and maintain it for free for the life of the payment contract, usually 7-10 years.

Prior it was something around a 20K install.

To me this sounds solid but I see very few popping up still. I live in one of the best places in the US for solar, the CA Valley. All sun, <1" rain from April to nearly to Nov.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 15:18 1badmf

I've been reading about concentrated solar power (CSP) for about a decade, and think it's a key component if future energy production since it allows solar created energy to be used at night. Glad to read that this one is operating successfully.

The SW US could produce most of the electricity for the entire US using a combination of PV and CSP. High voltage DC only loses 5% of it's power over 1000 miles, so the distance isn't really a concern.

in my background ideas for my scifi book i'll probably never finish writing, i envision moving the population to other continents while using northern africa as a solar/wind power station.

and re: chicken nuggets, if that bothers you don't eat hotdogs then. nothing surprising about those results. i'm still gonna eat them.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 15:04 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 10:00:
Yum, gotta love those chicken nuggets. Beaks & claws all round. Not totally surprising that chicken parts = chicken. I already avoid them, so no worries here.

Better than I thought. I recall the doctor with a surgical gloves who went in search of chicken nuggets and started by probing up the chickens wahzoo.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 14:55 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 14:54 jdreyer

30 Amazing Behind The Scenes Movie Moments.

Great photo set.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2013, 14:49 jdreyer

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo