Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Interviews

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 12, 2013, 14:48 Parallax Abstraction

I really used to like Alexander's writing. Her general talent is undeniable. But it's unfortunate that every article she writes now seems to have become about how gaming is reinforcing all the bad tropes in society and apparently holding back our advancement as a people. For someone who claims to love gaming so much, she sure seems to hate it now.

She makes a number of good points sometimes, it's just a shame that she takes any disagreement as "arming our enemies" (see the dialogue she had with Shawn Elliott about sexism in the actual industry workplace side of gaming) and seems to think that social issues regarding games are black and white and that you're either wholly with one side or against it. I also stopped taking her quite as seriously when she not once but twice appeared on the Giant Bombcast completely hammered, made an ass of herself both times and then said everyone who complained about how it ruined the shows (and it did) were just sexists who hated that a woman was on.

I've no problem with people who want to talk about societal issues when it comes to games but she needs to do so without being such on a high horse.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 12, 2013, 13:10 HorrorScope

Good thing she didn't start gaming pre-indy movement. She'd have a much shallower choice of games.  

2. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 12, 2013, 03:42 jdreyer

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 00:24:
"Leigh Alexander On The Biggest Problem With Video Games Today", ugh... thought I was going to read a well thoughtout article. Nope, just social commentary.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's the biggest problem, but it is a problem.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 12, 2013, 00:24 netnerd85

"Leigh Alexander On The Biggest Problem With Video Games Today", ugh... thought I was going to read a well thoughtout article. Nope, just social commentary.  

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo