Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Controller Demonstration Video

An update to the Steam Universe Steam Community Group offers this trailer showing off how Valve's new prototype controller fares playing games. The clip shows a variety of genres, and makes the case for how their new touch D pads overcome the inherent horribleness of console controllers for shooters. Word is this is the same controller that will be shipped with the 300 prototype Steam boxes they plan on shipping to testers.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 17, 2013, 08:28 Verno

Why did you build a persona around hating Steam on a PC gaming website? LOL. You're going to get exactly zero traction around here.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 17, 2013, 04:51 Ladron3dfx

http://youtu.be/qaUGOmip5sE

Steam family sharing, first impressions. uh,oh! Shocked2

No cupcakes! Wink

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2013, 05:01.

Steamworks

42. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 14, 2013, 17:22 nin

Sepharo wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 15:32:
Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 14:36:
Can I use a controller if I donít have a Steam machine?
Yes. Itíll work very well with any version of Steam.

With any version of Steam?

So I need the Steam client for the controller to work correctly?

What if I just want the controller and software driver to map the desired games sans the Steam client, sans the SteamOS, sans a fuckin' Steam Machine.

I base my entire identity around hating Steam.

Exactly. "Whaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 14, 2013, 13:29 Redmask

What if I just want the controller and software driver to map the desired games sans the Steam client, sans the SteamOS, sans a fuckin' Steam Machine.

Then you go to your room and play until it's bed time.

The controller is totally hackable, they've already said this so if you want to click a button to make a petition against Valve I'm sure you can do that.

40. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 15:32 Sepharo

I base my entire identity around hating Steam.

39. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 14:36 Ladron3dfx

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2013, 14:47.

Steamworks

38. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 14:23 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 00:57:
Tumbler wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 21:41:
This looks great! Just watching this video made me go start a game of Civ V. I'd love to have a controller to use for games like Civ V instead of this keyboard.

I don't touch the keyboard at all for Civ. It's 100% mouse game for me. It's probably be a pretty decent touch screen game.

It's probably great for a stylus, actually. That's why I want a stylus-based tablet PC - Civ4, X-COM, FTL in airports.

Also, sorry to the people saying the precision in Portal looked higher than on a gamepad. Maybe it's the person using it, but I am much, much, much faster and more precise on the PS3 than that guy was with this device.

Which is the problem - if this thing can't do FPS as well, why bother with it? I'm not one of those "M+K or death!" people, as I think the mouse on a couch is a good way to seriously damage your wrist, but this device just doesn't look to manage as well for the types of games I like playing on a couch. I like action games on the big screen while relaxed. Strategy games I prefer being more upright and closer to the screen. Yeah, this is probably better for Civ 4, but I'll keep playing Civ 4 on my desktop or laptop.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 13:56 saluk

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 12:24:
So this controller is exclusive to the SteamOS and/or any Linux distro the Steam Linux client is installed on? Yes/No?
No
"
"

36. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 13:52 saluk

Very cool. I'm impressed! Now I want to see them control joystick-centric games.

I think there is room for a lazy input device that works on mouse-centric games - it's something I have wished I had a few times. I can remember a few times when I was sick and wanted to play PnC adventure games while in bed. I used a remapper for my gamepad to act as a mouse, but it was very hard to control the pointer.

This may not be quite as good as a mouse for pointing or headshots; and it may not be quite as good as a dual-analog for platforming or action precision; but if it's pretty close to both it's a pretty cool device that meets a need. I have seen enough from this one video to know I will pick one up. Dunno if it will be my main controller; but I can totally see using it a lot.

35. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 12:24 Ladron3dfx

So this controller is exclusive to the SteamOS and/or any Linux distro the Steam Linux client is installed on? Yes/No?  

Steamworks

34. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 08:29 Undih

Soulburner wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 03:18:
It's interesting to see so many negative opinions about this here and on other sites. I was very impressed. Could you control a game like Civ5 with a gamepad as comfortably? The precision shown in Portal 2 and CounterStrike was also huge when compared with a traditional gamepad.

There's this one thing we need to remember: this is not supposed to replace mouse and keyboard for gaming. It's supposed to give a lot more precision than analog sticks and allow users to play keyboard+mouse only games on a big screen while sitting or laying on a couch. To me, this is huge.

Thank you!! You saved me a lot of typing!.

33. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 03:18 Soulburner

It's interesting to see so many negative opinions about this here and on other sites. I was very impressed. Could you control a game like Civ5 with a gamepad as comfortably? The precision shown in Portal 2 and CounterStrike was also huge when compared with a traditional gamepad.

There's this one thing we need to remember: this is not supposed to replace mouse and keyboard for gaming. It's supposed to give a lot more precision than analog sticks and allow users to play keyboard+mouse only games on a big screen while sitting or laying on a couch. To me, this is huge.

32. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 00:57 Sepharo

This looks great! Just watching this video made me go start a game of Civ V. I'd love to have a controller to use for games like Civ V instead of this keyboard.

I don't touch the keyboard at all for Civ. It's 100% mouse game for me. It's probably be a pretty decent touch screen game.

31. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 00:40 HorrorScope

My kids have already broken one of these wireless keyboards. It's so large it become difficult to set it aside. The mouse is easy enough but getting rid of both those in favor of a controller like this would be fantastic!

Seriously for pc gaming on a couch, get a nostromo.

30. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 21:41 Tumbler

My kids have already broken one of these wireless keyboards. It's so large it become difficult to set it aside. The mouse is easy enough but getting rid of both those in favor of a controller like this would be fantastic!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 21:33 Cutter

It can be a 1000 times better than a console controller but it's still a million times worse than KB/M!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 21:01 Slinkycatz

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 20:13:
Yep it's a laptop trackpad and for gaming it's not a great solution at all. And how that is setup they best have 3 shoulder buttons on each side. Somewhere your going to need to press buttons and the only reasonable way to do it with their setup is using shoulder button. Perhaps even 4 on each side is needed.

It is 3 on each side, here is an imgur of all the buttons on the controller.

http://i.imgur.com/YJxQZaN.jpg

27. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 20:47 HorrorScope

bigspender wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 19:13:
if it can't do mouse like accuracy at same speed a mouse.... then its inferior and therefore pointless

I can't help but agree.

26. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 20:13 HorrorScope

Yep it's a laptop trackpad and for gaming it's not a great solution at all. And how that is setup they best have 3 shoulder buttons on each side. Somewhere your going to need to press buttons and the only reasonable way to do it with their setup is using shoulder button. Perhaps even 4 on each side is needed.  

25. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 19:14 theyarecomingforyou

It looks like an improvement over traditional controllers but not as accurate as keyboard and mouse... WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT VALVE SAID IT WAS. I like to use controllers for certain genres of games and if Valve can improve that experience then I'll definitely be getting one. That said, I have no intention of playing Civilization 5 on controller - I'm more interested in trying to get my Leap Motion working with it.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo