Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Ship Design Competition

The Roberts Space Industries website offers the video of the CitizenCon 2013 live show, a broadcast celebrating yesterday's first anniversary of the announcement of Star Citizen, RSI's crowd-funded space game. One of the revelations along the way is their "Next Great Starship" design competition that will kick off at the end of this month. This will offer a grand prize of US$30,000 and high-end workstations for the team that creates a starship model to be included in the game based on voting from the community and their judging panel. Entries begin on October 31st and a YouTube reality series will begin in January and culminate with a winner in June, though this probably won't feature the chills and thrills of watching competition computer modeling they imply when they say the two finalists "will compete live in front of the judging panel and the community during the final episode that takes place June 8 in Los Angeles." Here's word:

Teams can register for The Next Great Starship October 31 through December 31. A preliminary challenge involves the making of a fully designed wave particle cannon, submitted via a YouTube video to a nine member judging panel including Chris Roberts and other members of the CIG design and art team, Crytek and even some to-be-named celebrity judges. Those initial entries will be narrowed down to a final 16 and one of the 16 will be voted on by Star Citizen backers. Then those 16 teams will embark on making their Starship entries. Beginning January 31, 2014, episodes of The Next Great Starship will air once a week on the Roberts Space Industries™ (RSI) YouTube channel with each team providing a work in progress update to the judging panel. Judges will eliminate teams down to a final two which will compete live in front of the judging panel and the community during the final episode that takes place June 8 in Los Angeles.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 13, 2013, 00:53 Flak

OldTimber wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 03:16:
First they want your money now they want your free work. Wow that space combat looks as boring as the one in SW ToR. This whole game needs it's Shatner moment, get a life people. Yeah I enjoyed the old WC/SC games but seriously that was in the 90's time to grow up kiddies.

Free work? As in they're paying the winners?

Nice logic, it wasn't bad enough that someone pissed in your cereal this morning

The positive is that whiny turds like this will be far, far away from the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 12, 2013, 15:23 Suppa7

OldTimber wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 03:16:
First they want your money now they want your free work. Wow that space combat looks as boring as the one in SW ToR. This whole game needs it's Shatner moment, get a life people. Yeah I enjoyed the old WC/SC games but seriously that was in the 90's time to grow up kiddies.

I still play freespace 2 to this very day every year or so. So please go fuck yourself.

Many of us want great new games in the space genre. Star citizen doesn't have to be a good game, it just has to renew interest of developers to create them again. Then among the shitty ones there will be one that is great.

That's how freespace was created.

24. Re: Single Player is the Military Story Oct 12, 2013, 07:18 eRe4s3r

Hanneth wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 20:33:
Yes, single player is only the military story.

Multi-player, Multi = more than one, can be played in the persistent universe, or your own personal server which accepts mods and only the people you want there.

I guess if you want, you can be the only person flying around on your own server which would kind of make it single player.

Well I pledged for some low value so I don't mind much, but I expected SP to be more like Freelancer, ie you could perfectly fine play the "MP" which just turned it into a pseudo-sandbox without story.

I am still not convinced Star Citizen is gonna be all that good. Space combat with fighters has the problem that it always turns into a circle strafe dance ballet where you whittle down shields then armor...

If they do the SP like Freelancer I would be happy. Ie, give me the option to run my own local universe and mod it to my hearts content.

But I already see it coming that x:rebirth is gonna me more in that direction.... but meh, I only pledged the minimal amount for the i300 and the game so I don't mind much. How people can pay $250 or more for this is quite befuddling though. It's just virtual spaceships after all.

23. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 12, 2013, 06:31 BadIronTree

AURORA VIDEO & INFO

CHECK out the new Aurora LN Commercial and new INFO

just the video

22. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 12, 2013, 05:26 El Pit

Next, they'll add RPG elements, then a MOBA mode, and... *sigh* I hope they can pull this off. I'm so afraid this will suffer from the Icarus effect.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

21. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 12, 2013, 03:16 OldTimber

20. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 21:49 Julio

Tumbler wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 21:31:
I'd be happy to join a team as the sound guy."pew, pewpewpew, PEW PEW"

Now all they need is to crowd source the programming and they're almost good to go.

19. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 21:31 Tumbler

I'm excited to see what people make! I wish I had clue where to even begin. I'd be happy to join a team as the sound guy.

"pew, pewpewpew, PEW PEW"

I can also do light sabers, "wonh, wohn, cuh-ch cuh-ch!"

I can also make engine sounds similar to a garbage disposal, a dishwasher and a lawn mower!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Single Player is the Military Story Oct 11, 2013, 20:33 Hanneth

Yes, single player is only the military story.

Multi-player, Multi = more than one, can be played in the persistent universe, or your own personal server which accepts mods and only the people you want there.

I guess if you want, you can be the only person flying around on your own server which would kind of make it single player.

17. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 20:03 eRe4s3r

ItBurn wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 13:37:
John wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 13:23:
BadIronTree wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 12:46:
Also check out the new ships :D
Retaliator
Gladiator
Pretty cool stuff! I wonder if the single-player campaign will include the same ships that are in MP though..

No. The single player campaign takes places in the military. You'll be flying military ships. I guess there could be an "undercover" mission where you'd fly other ships...

I really hope that is not all SP is gonna be.... especially since we were promised that we could run our own servers and mods.

16. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 17:41 Tom

McSterls wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 14:34:
I've got an idea for a ship I'll call the Penetrator. It's good for getting into tight spaces, like in game asteroid mining. Wet spaces, like a Water World or Rain Forest type planet. It leaves a hell of a mess sometimes too, due to a faulty reactor drive unit (think Firefly). Look for the Penetrator to be the most popular ship in the game!

In Star Control, the Syreen ship was called the Syreen Penetrator. And it was aptly named.

15. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 15:24 Kosumo

Putting the Loud in LoL since a 2012  

14. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 14:55 NegaDeath

Ludomancer wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 14:43:
This is the most brazen money-grab of all time.

Shouldn't these assholes be more concerned with developing their overly-budgeted game, than running fan contests and partaking in a reality show?!

Do PC gamers not complain about the lack of modability and community interaction with modern games (outside of gems like Skyrim)? These guys go the opposite route by not only saying modding will be supported, but also by engaging the community to build stuff into the main game itself, and they're assholes? I don't get it.

13. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 14:43 Ludomancer

This is the most brazen money-grab of all time.

Shouldn't these assholes be more concerned with developing their overly-budgeted game, than running fan contests and partaking in a reality show?!

12. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 14:34 McSterls

I've got an idea for a ship I'll call the Penetrator. It's good for getting into tight spaces, like in game asteroid mining. Wet spaces, like a Water World or Rain Forest type planet. It leaves a hell of a mess sometimes too, due to a faulty reactor drive unit (think Firefly). Look for the Penetrator to be the most popular ship in the game!  

11. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 14:12 Bill Borre

lol. "Have them design the game AND give us money for the privilege of doing so."  

10. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 14:12 Dmitri_M

fawker wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 12:18:
Hasn't this dude made enough to make his own art?
Cryengine is a bitch to work with..

9. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 13:55 jdreyer

Funny, not only is he crowdsourcing the funding of SC, but now he's crowdsourcing the design.

I hope he ends up using more than one. I'm sure some awesome ships will come out of this contest.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 13:47 Slinkycatz

On the forums people have already been creating their own ships as a way to pass the time while they wait for more SC news. This contest appears to be a response to those people so they can pit their designs against each other.  

7. Re: Star Citizen Ship Design Competition Oct 11, 2013, 13:37 ItBurn

John wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 13:23:
BadIronTree wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 12:46:
Also check out the new ships :D
Retaliator
Gladiator
Pretty cool stuff! I wonder if the single-player campaign will include the same ships that are in MP though..

No. The single player campaign takes places in the military. You'll be flying military ships. I guess there could be an "undercover" mission where you'd fly other ships...

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo