Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support

Frontier Developments announces support for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset will be part of Elite: Dangerous, their upcoming remake of their space combat classic, saying that the game is being gifted for free to all backers of the Oculus Rift Kickstarter. "We’ve been playing with the Oculus Rift dev kits and are excited about the potential – just glancing around your cockpit or being totally immersed in a space battle," says David Braben, CEO of Frontier. "Many of our backers have made it clear that they would like Oculus Rift support – and so do we! We’re very pleased with the results so far."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 11, 2013, 09:10 gray

jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 15:15:
Wildone wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 10:47:
IM IN.

There's also another VR headset which has a slightly different tech but looks cool

[url=http://reviews.cnet.com/wearable-tech/avegant-virtual-retinal-display/4505-34900_7-35828603.html[/url]

That looks really cool. They'd better get the latency low though. Maybe they can license tech from Oculus?

The FOV is really low at the moment, it's more of a HMZ competitor than a Rift competitor. The technology is incredibly interesting though, if they can get a unit out with a 150°+ FOV, well...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 17:49 DangerDog

I'm really concerned about the eye strain impact of the Rift, I have a feeling that it would be really hard to put down once you started using it and there's no such thing as moderation when it comes to gaming.  

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 15:15 jdreyer

IM IN.

There's also another VR headset which has a slightly different tech but looks cool

[url=http://reviews.cnet.com/wearable-tech/avegant-virtual-retinal-display/4505-34900_7-35828603.html[/url]

That looks really cool. They'd better get the latency low though. Maybe they can license tech from Oculus?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 13:43 HorrorScope

IM IN.

Hmmm... that also sounds interesting.

6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 12:05 Tumbler

Elite Dangerous is coming out for the PS4?!?

No I was just planning on spending some money this holiday on a PS4 but I've changed my mind because of Space Sims coming to the PC including this game so now I am going to spend that money on Flight sim related accessories.

Was just rambling about other concerns I have about nex gen consoles.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 11:58 Wildone

Elite Dangerous is coming out for the PS4?!?  

4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 11:48 Tumbler

I imagine this game for many people is like Star Citizen for me. There seems to be a lot of nostalgia for it and I'm excited to see another space game coming out.

Between this and a flight sim setup (HOTAS) I don't have a good reason to buy a nex gen console so I'm out! I'll get my HOTAS setup around launch time BF4 on the PC, and when that dogfighter alpha comes out for star citizen I'll be the happiest son of a bitch you ever saw.

It will be interesting to see what differences there are on the PS3 / PS4 versions of games. Part of this decision is just my assumption that the PS4 versions of games aren't going to be a lot closer to pc in options and services outside teh game. They'll look better but might still have 24 player matches instead of 64, dedicated servers will be few and far between. I hope I'm wrong. And don't even get me started on that Xbox Cloud bullshit. I will believe that when I see it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 11:01 Creston

Nice. Kudos, Braben.  

2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 10:47 Wildone

IM IN.

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Oculus Rift Support Oct 10, 2013, 10:27 InBlack

The Oculus cant get here fast enough....Oh and Elite too....  

I have a nifty blue line!

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo