Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 11, 2013, 19:51 Kitkoan

Redmask wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 14:21:
So you sit there with a tablet propped up and a controller? Why not just skip the middle man and get a proper handheld? That seems very awkward.

I have my tablet in a roocase which can prop itself up, and my tablet is always with me and a lot more functional then my NDS or PSP saw, with a better screen. Longer battery life, save state, etc...

It's not as awkward as you might think.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 11, 2013, 14:21 Redmask

So you sit there with a tablet propped up and a controller? Why not just skip the middle man and get a proper handheld? That seems very awkward.  

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 11, 2013, 07:49 Kitkoan

I personally use a Nexus 10 with a micro USB to usb connector to plug in my ps3 controller for emulators.

PSX, NDS, She's, etc... All work with the controller perfectly so no fighting onscreen controls unless I'm charging the tablet (can't plug in controller and charge since only one connector.) Xbox controller isn't as good as the emulators don't seem to ever see the back trigger buttons (L2/R2) though I think it's an Android driver issue for the Xbox controller.

And the Humble Bundles show up randomly with Android games.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 11, 2013, 00:54 mag

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:31:
What tablet would you guys recommend purely for gaming? I'm going to be stuck traveling for quite a bit for some time to come, so I figured I'd pick up a decent gaming tablet and play some of the better mobile/tablet games.

iPad? Android? Anyone have any recommendations?

Nintendo 3DS

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 18:40 Creston

Thanks for the feedback, guys!  

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 18:28 Ceribaen

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 17:26:
Ceribaen wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 14:06:
iPad has the obvious market advantage.

That's not true, it's been close for a while but Android recently overtook iOS in tablets just like they did smartphones years ago. The only reason there's a misconception of "Apple domination" is the sheer volume of advertising shit they shove down our throats in North America, where their market share is strongest.

There are WAY more and better games for Android, not to mention cheaper, all due to its more open nature as a platform. Anything on iOS that's worth playing is going to be on Android as well, and you'll never have a Humble Mobile Bundle for Apple... Just following those, I've amassed dozens of quality games for like $20 total.

Alright I should clarify, I was leaning more towards meaning that the 'AAA' mobile games (and other apps) still tend to be released for iOS first with Android possibly eventually getting a port (Clash of Clans finally on Android...!).

Granted on Android you also have the advantage of grabbing an emulator of your choice and playing whatever ROMs you want. And it's possible to do see with a gamepad even (not sure if iOS devices have that potential?).

I have actually in the past used my N10 where I hooked it up to my computer monitor and played some SNES Chrono Trigger with a PS3 controller.

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 17:26 jacobvandy

Ceribaen wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 14:06:

That's not true, it's been close for a while but Android recently overtook iOS in tablets just like they did smartphones years ago. The only reason there's a misconception of "Apple domination" is the sheer volume of advertising shit they shove down our throats in North America, where their market share is strongest.

There are WAY more and better games for Android, not to mention cheaper, all due to its more open nature as a platform. Anything on iOS that's worth playing is going to be on Android as well, and you'll never have a Humble Mobile Bundle for Apple... Just following those, I've amassed dozens of quality games for like $20 total.

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 14:11 Techie714 ©

I love my N10 that thing is awesome!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 14:06 Ceribaen

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:31:
What tablet would you guys recommend purely for gaming? I'm going to be stuck traveling for quite a bit for some time to come, so I figured I'd pick up a decent gaming tablet and play some of the better mobile/tablet games.

Though I like my Nexus 10 personally.

But when travelling - you need to really watch out for which games have online only requirements. Squenix was bad about this and I'm not sure which ones they've removed (or if they have) the requirements for and on which platforms. At one point they even disabled games on devices that were rooted for Android but I think they at least smartened up about that one.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 13:51 The Half Elf

New Nexus 10. I have the original Nexus 7, and beyond being the 'tiny' version, haven't had a issue with anything performance wise.

Then again I'm strangely addicted to the 'Where's my' Disney games.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 12:40 Creston

I thought about a Surface, but that's simply 400 dollars too expensive...

There are some games I like on iOS, one of my colleagues has some pretty cool tower defense game on his iPad, Plants vs Zombies 2, maybe the Deus Ex game, Baldur's Gate, Shadowrun Returns.

Hmmm, guess I've kinda made my mind up already.

Thanks tho, Beamer!

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 12:15 Beamer

Surface 2 or some haswell based PC and X-COM/Civ4/FTL?
Actually, X-COM is out for the iPad, isn't it?

I haven't played any tablet games that I think are fun for long-term. All of them are either puzzle games (which are great, but they're made for bite-size consumption) or overly-shallow strategy games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2013, 11:31 Creston

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo