Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a funny exchange at the plumbing supply store when I went to get a new fill valve for the bathroom in my office since after replacing our completely broken toilet we noticed this one was perpetually running as well. We picked this up at the same place as we got our toilet, which is for professional contractors, and for a moment I was confused by something he asked that made it seem like we needed to be pros to shop there. I then made a joke about how the box for this valve says "for professional installation only." MrsBlue asked if that was going to be a problem, to which the clerk replied, "not for me." Good stuff. Anyway, installation seemed to go without a hitch, so that keeps up for a couple of days I'll allow everyone to remove their life-jackets.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Enough Plumbers 2.
The Bravest Hunter.
Science: Meet the asteroid that might hit Earth in 2880. Thanks Jeffrey.
By 2047, Coldest Years May Be Warmer Than Hottest in Past.
Real-life 'Iron Man' suit commissioned by US military. Thanks Jeffrey.
Follow-up: Spider's super-thin ribbons key to silk tech.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2013, 08:53 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2013, 03:14:
jdreyer but I know it's bullshit.

Yeah, besides, it's those rich and powerful hippies that control things and the poor oil and manufacturing industries can't afford to go up against them (I'm paraphrasing, but I have actually heard this argument).

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2013, 03:14 Sepharo

jdreyer but I know it's bullshit.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2013, 00:44 jdreyer

ledhead1969 wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 19:38:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 18:09:
More than the asteroid, I find this pretty scary.

I'll actually alive then, hopefully.

It's based on a class paper not even written by a scientist. Blue posts this shit without actually reading it, don't fall into the same ignorance trap.

What's fascinating to me is how the mind can accomplish such massive self delusion. Chris Mooney wrote an excellent article explaining why certain people's minds work like this. He breaks it down:

1. Conservatism is a Defensive Ideology, and Appeals to People Who Want Certainty and Resist Change.
2. Conservative "Morality" Impels Climate Denial -- and in particular, conservative Individualism.
3. Fox News is the Key "Feedback Mechanism" -- whereby people already inclined to believe false things get all the license and affirmation they need.

Scientists are merely people who are rigorously trained in observing and measuring the world around us. Among these 1000s of people, 98% agree on anthropomorphic global warming and its catastrophic effects. There is no difference in the work done on AGW, quantum physics, special relativity, evolution, gravity, and so on. All of them have a large degree of consensus and a small degree of uncertainty, yet it is only AGW (and to a lesser extent, evolution) that is rejected out of hand. And yet these same people have no trouble getting into a jet (Bernoulli's principle and aerodynamics) or getting medicine from a doctor (biochem, microbiology, etc.). It's ALL science, people. It's all done the same way. It is illogical to pick and choose.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2013, 00:29 Creston

ledhead1969 wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 19:36:
Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:07:
Fucking Fox news.

Is this the mug shot of a future continent-killer?

START HIDING NOW!!!!

I'm sure that 800 years from now we'll have the capacity to deal with a 1.1km rock.

ABC, NBC, Discovery all ran that story. Of course, with your closed mind it's impossible for you to see past your agenda. What a simpleton. JFC and you vote, too.

My agenda? Because I'm so liberal? Laf.

On the dipshit list you go.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 23:40 jdreyer

ledhead1969 wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 19:38:

It's based on a class paper not even written by a scientist. Blue posts this shit without actually reading it, don't fall into the same ignorance trap.

Apparently you didn't read it either. SCIENTIST Dr. Mora and his grad students collaborated on this paper, and it's published in Nature, a premier scientific journal. Nice try at undercutting their conclusions by impugning the authorship of the study, but you fail. The Dr.s name is in the byline. And before you pull out the BS line of "His grad students wrote it and he just put his name on it," know that university researchers often employ grad students to assist in research and carefully vet everything that goes into it since their name gets top billing.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 19:38 ledhead1969

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 19:36 ledhead1969

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:07:
Fucking Fox news.

Is this the mug shot of a future continent-killer?

START HIDING NOW!!!!

I'm sure that 800 years from now we'll have the capacity to deal with a 1.1km rock.

ABC, NBC, Discovery all ran that story. Of course, with your closed mind it's impossible for you to see past your agenda. What a simpleton. JFC and you vote, too.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 19:34 Yosemite Sam

GTA online is a blast, even on your own. Tons of things to do, just unlocked survivor mode. Dont think Ill ever go back to single player, total opposite of 4s multiplayer which I never really got into. Would like to see more coop missions added, seem to be doing the same ones over and over again. Prolly be back in in an hour or so if anyone wants to jam.  

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 18:52 xXBatmanXx

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 16:12:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 15:03:
Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:29:
Had a blast on GTA Online last night. (Thanks for letting me tag along with ya, PHJF! Also: Show-off! )

Anyone going to be on tonight? Hit me up: Creston918. (on PS3.)

Ill try and get on and get through the first parts on ps3....no promises though.

Thanks Batz, leave me all alone on the 360 version *sniffles*

Some really fun/tough mission at 25, but the auto invite feature is rather... fubar'd at times.

I will try both, but haven't had much time....see below

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 18:38 Creston

Quboid wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 15:52:
That SLI combo I asked about works fine:

A: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked 2048MB GDDR5 (1045Mhz/6008Mhz)
B: Gainward GeForce GTX 660 Golden Sample 2048MB GDDR5 (1006Mhz/6108Mhz)

According to Nvidia's system information tool, they're running at their advertised speeds. According to EVGA's OC Scanner util, while running a benchmark flat out they're clocking 1005Mhz/3054Mhz and 1045Mhz/3004Mhz, i.e. their advertised speeds, per memory channel.

I'm surprised they're running at different speeds. Arma 3 has been fine for several hours 'research' and both 3dMark and 3dMark 11 ran fine. There's some graphic glitches in Arma but it's Arma, I don't expect SLI to work miracles.

According to 3dMark's SystemInfo readings, they're both running at 324Mhz/810Mhz. Hmm. Possibly it measures when they're idling.

Strange. I could have sworn that having memory run at different speeds would cause all kinds of fun fubar shit. Maybe they've programmed smarter memory controllers since then.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 18:09 jdreyer

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 16:53 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 10:17:
Meet the person who will be dead long before 2880 --->

If in 867 years we have not yet progressed sufficiently to deal with an asteroid then as a race we deserve the consequences of that inaction
I hope I'm here to find out!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 16:12 The Half Elf

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 15:03:
Had a blast on GTA Online last night. (Thanks for letting me tag along with ya, PHJF! Also: Show-off! )

Ill try and get on and get through the first parts on ps3....no promises though.

Thanks Batz, leave me all alone on the 360 version *sniffles*

Some really fun/tough mission at 25, but the auto invite feature is rather... fubar'd at times.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 15:52 Quboid

That SLI combo I asked about works fine:

A: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked 2048MB GDDR5 (1045Mhz/6008Mhz)
B: Gainward GeForce GTX 660 Golden Sample 2048MB GDDR5 (1006Mhz/6108Mhz)

According to Nvidia's system information tool, they're running at their advertised speeds. According to EVGA's OC Scanner util, while running a benchmark flat out they're clocking 1005Mhz/3054Mhz and 1045Mhz/3004Mhz, i.e. their advertised speeds, per memory channel.

I'm surprised they're running at different speeds. Arma 3 has been fine for several hours 'research' and both 3dMark and 3dMark 11 ran fine. There's some graphic glitches in Arma but it's Arma, I don't expect SLI to work miracles.

According to 3dMark's SystemInfo readings, they're both running at 324Mhz/810Mhz. Hmm. Possibly it measures when they're idling.

- Quboid

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 15:15 Creston

I'm still in the first parts too, so if ya need help, holla.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 15:03 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 12:41 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:39:

I should be around this weekend. Sorry about last night - I was drinkin my gin and watching breaking bad when I suddenly remembered I didn't sell Michael's stock before I logged off earlier in the evening...

Traveling tomorrow and Sat, but back Sunday...

No worries. The weird thing is that GTA will tell you someone is online even if they're in story mode. Since you showed up, I thought you were playing online. I'll know to check next time.

Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 11:34:
If it's actually functional/stable now I will join you guys this week. Last few times I tried to play it was a total clusterfuck and I sorta threw my hands up.

It seemed pretty solid last night. I had one disconnect, but PHJF and I did about five or so jobs without any hickups.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 11:42 mch

Hoping to get back on GTA Online (PS3) soon...but probably won't be able to for another day or two. I played with someone from Blues last weekend (my PSN name is CaseDesignate), but I'm not exactly sure who it was

PSN: CaseDesignate

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 11:39 nin

I should be around this weekend. Sorry about last night - I was drinkin my gin and watching breaking bad when I suddenly remembered I didn't sell Michael's stock before I logged off earlier in the evening...

Traveling tomorrow and Sat, but back Sunday...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2013, 11:34 Verno

If it's actually functional/stable now I will join you guys this week. Last few times I tried to play it was a total clusterfuck and I sorta threw my hands up.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo