Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Thief Gameplay Trailer

Here is the first gameplay trailer from Thief, Eidos Montreal's upcoming return to the first-person sneaker series. The clip is narrated by stealthy master thief Garrett, who says, "I've been away, but I couldn't tell you where." Here's the description: "In this gameplay trailer, get your first in-game look at Garrett's hideout, the dark alleys of the City, and your old friend Basso. See all the pillars of Thief gameplay in action - Infiltration, Theft and Escape - as Garrett enters the Baron's manor, grabs the shinies and leaves without a trace."

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 18:50 MajorD

Weak! The more I see of this, the worse it seems to get. Graphics look nice, but that is all I'll give it. I don't know if it is the way the trailer was edited or what, but the voice acting is terrible; it felt too forced and disjointed.

So sad, as when the game was announced, I was very much looking forward to it, but definitely not anymore. They screwed up when they ran with their own artistic license and classifying it as a 'reboot', in lieu of just holding true to what made the original (T1 & T2) so appealing and successful.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 18:46 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 18:14:
Lets sum up the crapfactors:

No free jumping
QTE's (cuties?)
Forced third person perspective moments
Garrett's face
Garrett's voice
No hammerites (by the Maker, what!?)
No mysterious other-worldliness
Dishonored sensa magica
No FOV adjustment

I'm gonna bury my face in my palm now. Nn.

If they had put the Hammerites in then they couldn't have recycled Garret in that city hehe...

Aside that, what you say pretty much is what I fear. It's gonna be a 0% risk 100% console game. Context sensitive jumping is by far the stupidest thing though.

Also, I'd still not get this game even if there were cuties in it, but I fear they are just gonna put more QTEs in.

23. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 18:35 eRe4s3r

Scheherazade wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 18:25:
Overon wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 17:35:
I wanted Thief style game. I did not want Thief with the Dishonored style "supernatural" powers. Dishonored was very good however. Dishonored Thief is what we are getting, sadly.

Not sure if you played the later thief games, but as the series went on there was more and more occult stuff going on.

-scheherazade

The last parts of the last Thief game were spent running away from a creepy as hell witch too including an banishing of her at the end. Not to mention voodoo stuff and creepy hag covens.. so yeah, occult stuff was always rooted in Thief.

I am just kinda sad they do away with the ending of Thief 3 (or was it 2?).. personally I'd have preferred if we had played as the Orphan girl and not as Garret who I always thought was mortally ill at the end?.... *points for anyone who still remembers what I even talk about here.

I think a more fragile, more feminine thief would have lent to a much more careful approach by the player, not to mention that they could have put Garret still in there somehow and maybe done some proper story telling for once....

It's just too bad nobody does a true open world Thief game or tries anything with a slight risk attached (female lead) ;/ And I am not saying that because I am pro-feminine or whatever, I just am getting bored of them recycling characters that have absolutely no reason to still be in that city. And sorry, but Garret would be dead 5 seconds after stepping into that city ever again. He pissed off some mightily powerful forces, and they will never forget what he did.

Anyhow...

22. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 18:25 Scheherazade

I wanted Thief style game. I did not want Thief with the Dishonored style "supernatural" powers. Dishonored was very good however. Dishonored Thief is what we are getting, sadly.

Not sure if you played the later thief games, but as the series went on there was more and more occult stuff going on.

-scheherazade

21. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 18:14 ItBurn

1badmf wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 18:07:

where did you see supernatural powers? i didn't see any magic in this clip. a few poofy stealing effects, but nothing i would call magical. funny considering how a previous poster was complaining about how this wasnt supernatural and mystical like the original.

I think he has a bionic eye that allows him to see in the dark and highlight certain things and stuff. Could be magical. I personally never liked the magical stuff or the machines.

20. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 18:14 Quinn

Lets sum up the crapfactors:

No free jumping
QTE's (cuties?)
Forced third person perspective moments
Garrett's face
Garrett's voice
No hammerites (by the Maker, what!?)
No mysterious other-worldliness
Dishonored sensa magica
No FOV adjustment

I'm gonna bury my face in my palm now. Nn.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

19. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 18:07 1badmf

where did you see supernatural powers? i didn't see any magic in this clip. a few poofy stealing effects, but nothing i would call magical. funny considering how a previous poster was complaining about how this wasnt supernatural and mystical like the original.

18. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 17:43 Fion

Dishonored without powers would be fine with me, so long as its set in the steam-punky medieval setting. The PC Gamer article is a mixed bag, both good and bad. Early on it speaks of nostalgia accounting for how amazing the original game was, and I think people need to remember that. I trust that Eidos Montreal to pull through with a great game. After all they did a fantastic job of keeping the spirit of Deus Ex alive in DX:HR. Time will tell, and until then I'll be waiting for the DX:HR followup.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2013, 18:00.

17. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 17:35 Overon

16. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 16:56 Acleacius

I didn't think it was possible to get worse, but leave it to square enix. They are the ones driving this console crap design of QT events, no free roaming, much less free freaking jumping.

OMG, police stop that masked man, he jumped up and down on the sidewalk!

Techie714 © wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 15:26:
I thought Deus Ex:HR was outstanding & I thought this was the same team doing this game, I guess i was wrong?
same people, Deus Ex is next.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 15:45 Xero

Looks awesome. Brings back memories. I remember spending good time hiding in the shadows in the original Thief while I studied the guard patterns. Hope this is good. Looks pretty sweet. Hope it truly favors stealth over action.  

Currently playing: Skyrim

14. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 15:26 Techie714 ©

I thought Deus Ex:HR was outstanding & I thought this was the same team doing this game, I guess i was wrong?  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 14:51 eRe4s3r

Techie714 © wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 13:38:
Cancelled my pre-order with Greenman after reading that article on PC Gamer this morning....

Did you expect any different with Square Enix behind it? A company that can't even spell innovation and bravado anymore..... This Thief will be 100% mass market appeal-tweaked and casual friendly. After Tomb Raider and Deus EX: HR didn't meet their fantasy goals they will now cater to the lowest common denominator... and that denominator is dumb as a brick with a 5 second attention span.

12. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 14:43 Quinn

Techie714 © wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 13:38:
Cancelled my pre-order with Greenman after reading that article on PC Gamer this morning....

Absolutely everything that lead level designer Daniel said was absolutely horrible, except for the part where he says they balanced the game without the Focus ability in mind. Everything else made my mind's voice go "No. Just.. no."

The worst thing is not that these lead designers fucking rape the potential of a project, but that they get paid allot while doing so. The crisis made me bitter like that.

Mark my words: The game's going to be alright, but in that same uninspiring-and-shallow-and-not-at-all-alright way most games of late are.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

11. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 14:42 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 14:34:
Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 14:18:
The write up on PCGamer wasn't encouraging

From that writeup:

I worry that the free-running, third-person takedowns and focus mode will alienate fans of the classics. For everyone else, it’ll struggle to offer something new in a post-Dishonored world.

So it's not Thief. It's Dishonored Creed: Garret - Human Revolution.

My rope arrows were only good for thwunking into pre-ordained posts jutting out at carefully placed locations, and the two gadgets I unlocked – a crank for undoing screws and a wire clipper for sabotaging pulley-boxes – were reskinned door-opening devices.

In combination with only being able to jump where the game highlights it for you. This sounds fantastic. Rolleyes

Ah well, plenty of actually good games coming out. I'll be more than happy to ignore this.

Actually sounds worse than Dishonored...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 14:34 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 14:18:

From that writeup:

I worry that the free-running, third-person takedowns and focus mode will alienate fans of the classics. For everyone else, it’ll struggle to offer something new in a post-Dishonored world.

So it's not Thief. It's Dishonored Creed: Garret - Human Revolution.

My rope arrows were only good for thwunking into pre-ordained posts jutting out at carefully placed locations, and the two gadgets I unlocked – a crank for undoing screws and a wire clipper for sabotaging pulley-boxes – were reskinned door-opening devices.

In combination with only being able to jump where the game highlights it for you. This sounds fantastic. Rolleyes

Ah well, plenty of actually good games coming out. I'll be more than happy to ignore this.

9. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 14:18 Verno

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

8. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 14:03 ItBurn

It looked pretty good to me. Looks a bit too much like Dishonored though. It doesn't seem to have an atmosphere as unique as Human Revolution's either.  

7. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 13:38 Techie714 ©

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: Thief Gameplay Trailer Oct 9, 2013, 13:14 Quinn

Fucking horrible. I wonder at what point in the story you'll get to know how and when Garrett contracted AIDS...

According to this trailer and all the info about this game so far, it looks like they've taken the title too literal. Seems like it's all about shiny trinkets now, for this ugly and shady fuck.

The old thief is dead. Long live the thug.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo