Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 4 Outed?

An interview with Cliff Martinez on Lost in the Multiplex talks this former Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer and soundtrack composer. There is a question about his current work with a benign answer, but according to Polygon (via Reddit), this has been edited to remove his indication that he's working on an unannounced next installment in the Far Cry series. They report that before it was changed, his answer included this: "I'm working on a video game called Far Cry 4." This is unconfirmed, but if you want to be optimistic, deleting the reference without correction or comment suggests it was removed for secrecy rather than accuracy. Thanks nin.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 10, 2013, 08:50 nin

InBlack wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 03:45:
Blood Dragon was the shit. I want more of that.

Same here - good stuff!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 10, 2013, 03:45 InBlack

Blood Dragon was the shit. I want more of that.  

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 22:25 theyarecomingforyou

Aero wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 14:06:
The first two or so hours of Far Cry 3 was one of the best gaming experiences I can recall. The jungle was scary, there was danger around every corner, and the glimpse of a patrol or the sound of distant gunfire would send me scrambling for a hiding place in the bushes--occasionally maybe risking a stealth attack sneaking up on the tail end of a patrol.

Pretty quickly I became Rambo though, and I just strolled with impunity about the island obliterating anything that dared cross me.

I hope they can keep that initial feeling lasting longer in a sequel. To be honest though, I can't even really think of how to pull it off. You do need to feel like a badass eventually, but maybe not an effectively invincible badass.
Agreed. The parts of the game related to the plot were great but the survival elements and outposts seemed too much like filler. Overall it was a superb game though, especially the narrative and acting. That said I didn't quite get into it as much as Far Cry 2, which was so impressive because of its distinct setting and atmosphere (the music and sounds were excellent). That's not to say Far Cry 2 was better and it certainly had its issue but I still rate it highly.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 14:06 Aero

The first two or so hours of Far Cry 3 was one of the best gaming experiences I can recall. The jungle was scary, there was danger around every corner, and the glimpse of a patrol or the sound of distant gunfire would send me scrambling for a hiding place in the bushes--occasionally maybe risking a stealth attack sneaking up on the tail end of a patrol.

Pretty quickly I became Rambo though, and I just strolled with impunity about the island obliterating anything that dared cross me.

I hope they can keep that initial feeling lasting longer in a sequel. To be honest though, I can't even really think of how to pull it off. You do need to feel like a badass eventually, but maybe not an effectively invincible badass.

13. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 13:05 Acleacius

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 11:56:
Acleacius wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:20:
ubisoft lost at least 20% of their sales due to lack of modding tools and social capabilities. Sales that would have come from community word of mouth and constant press of mods from games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout.
Where exactly did you get these numbers from? Show me any sort of data or sales figures to back that stupid claim up. Stop pulling shit out of your ass based on NOTHING.
Did I say, I was quoting numbers or is changing intent of my post your idea of trolling? Hard to believe your not aware of the numerous studies that show, what a huge increase in PR word of mouth and the longevity of sales of games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout due to all the modding community. After all these years of you being a gamer, I'm sure the hell not going to waste time holding your hand to walk you through it, while your being a bass.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 12:55 Acleacius

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 11:25:
ubisoft lost at least 20% of their sales due to lack of modding tools

The Dunia 2 modding tools work fine. Plenty of mods out for Far Cry 3. I quite like Ziggy's Mod.
Your right, Ziggy's is great fun, but they don't have the scope of a real toolset. Especially when considering the scope of unofficial patches of Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Plus no ability to fix UI, or even seemingly simple modding like custom vehicles, upgrades and the ability to keep a jeep/buggy/boat. I'm in no way trying to take away the wonderful work the current modders do but most are forced just to edit xml files and such, the ability to create is much greater.

Story wise, I think they are absolutely being serious. Though there's obviously humor and humorous situations in the game. Yet, with violence turning tropes, by (without giving spoilers) allowing guys to be victims, instead girls to be brave and resourceful. I'm guessing your referring to the last 15 min of the Vaas showdown, it was confusing but mostly due to the acid trip.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 12:22 Quboid

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 11:56:
ubisoft lost at least 20% of their sales due to lack of modding tools and social capabilities. Sales that would have come from community word of mouth and constant press of mods from games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout.
Where exactly did you get these numbers from? Show me any sort of data or sales figures to back that stupid claim up. Stop pulling shit out of your ass based on NOTHING.

I thought it was pretty clear that this was his/her own estimation.

I didn't know any mods were available for FC3. Going by Nexus Mods' Far Cry 3 section, it's far from a thriving community.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2013, 12:28.

- Quboid

10. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 11:56 Rattlehead

9. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 11:25 Quboid

They didn't seem to have the balls to take the crafting system far enough and make it more of a survival game. Hopefully the success of Day Z will encourage them to build on this aspect so hunting is more rewarding (in gameplay terms, so perhaps less rewarding in actual prizes).

This isn't the first time that I've commented that I hope designers learn from Day Z so perhaps I'm pinning too much on that but I do think survival is a fascinating idea yet to be mastered.

The Far Cry series has a tendency to be marketed as being serious. Not so much FC1 which was made by different people but FC2 and FC3 both attempted serious issues like people smuggling, blood diamonds, malaria, and modern day piracy. The pre-release stuff made Vaas look like some sort of cold hearted evil mastermind.

Then when the games actually come out, they're OTT cheese-fests and the characters are cartoon caricatures.

GTA does this as well. I'd like them to pick a style and stick to it. Preferably the game you say you're making, which would be interesting and more unique. Just Cause already does the open-world banana-republic silliness. How many games do open-world game-play while staying serious? Arma and Stalker are the only ones that come to mind and they're both ultra-serious overly ambitious titles. Something with 2/3 of the scope and twice the budget, what Far Cry 3 appeared to be from pre-release material, could be brilliant.

- Quboid

8. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 11:25 Creston

ubisoft lost at least 20% of their sales due to lack of modding tools

The Dunia 2 modding tools work fine. Plenty of mods out for Far Cry 3. I quite like Ziggy's Mod.

7. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 11:24 Creston

Quite enjoyed FC3, but it would have been nice had the hunting remained relevant throughout the game.

Also, the story sucked, whether it was intended to be satire on gaming as a whole or not. If they have to explain the story because nobody could figure out what the fuck was going on, that story simply failed.

6. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 10:20 Acleacius

Far Cry 3 was goty for me, despite the fact that the UI, Save System and no Toolset Editor, were a console disaster.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2013, 11:55.

5. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 10:08 Wildone

*Yawn* lost me at console  

4. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 09:55 Verno

I thought Far Cry 3 was pretty good but I would love to see better writing and more expansion of the open world elements. The combat mechanics were fine and the game was much more fun if you disabled its bizarre player aids like marking enemies and whatnot. Also the crafting system needed a redo, it was pretty clunky and once exhausted it removed a lot of the challenge in combat encounters.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

3. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 09:46 Rhino

It's kind of a silly thing to remove for secrecy, anyway. It's a franchise, successful, entertainment industry, AAA title. The bigger surprise would have been if they announced that they aren't making another.  

2. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 09:46 Kristian Joensen

Is Lost in the Multiplex owned by Ubisoft? Why have they edited his response?  

1. Re: Far Cry 4 Outed? Oct 9, 2013, 09:45 SirKnight

Cool, and doesn't surprise me given how well 3 did. I loved Far Cry 3. I'm currently going through the game a second time.

Somehow I still never finished Blood Dragon. I guess so many other games keep getting in the way.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo