Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation

PC Gamer has extracted some quotes from Chris Taylor on the CnC-Inside.de podcast where he answers questions about the RTS properties originated by Gas Powered Games now that the studio is owned by Wargaming. He explains that the Supreme Commander series is the property of Square Enix before throwing out strong hints that they may be pursuing a new installment in the Total Annihilation series. Here's word:

ďIn so far as other RTS properties that I am capable of working on Ė and I think you know what Iím talking about, I donít even need to be coy Ė I think that nerd is alive and well.Ē Remember, the nerd in question is a metaphor for Taylorís love of deep, complex strategy systems. Add that to the phrases ďRTS propertiesĒ, ďI am capable of working onĒ and ďI think you know what Iím talking aboutĒ, and I think we know what heís talking about.

(A hint: heís talking about a follow up to Total Annihilation.)

Of course, this isnít an announcement by any means. In fact, when pressed for confirmation later in the interview, he returned to maximum coyness. ďI canít, I wonít, I shouldnít. Itís just not an area Iím ready to talk about yet. But you can use your imagination, even though youíre not on the project. Youíre welcome to use your imagination, your imagination will serve you well in this case.Ē

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 14:50 McSterls

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 14:25:
KS wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 13:35:
The four best RTSs are, in order:

1. Sacrifice
2. Total Annihilation
3. Dungeon Keeper
4. Warcraft

The first two never had sequels, and I never understood why.

Sacrifice may have been the greatest and least appreciated RTS game of all time.

Total Annihilation had an excellent expansion pack, the Core Contingency, as well as free weekly units that made the game seem fresh for a long time, unfortunately it had to deal with Warcraft II's popularity. I remember in college no one would play TA with me, but Warcraft LAN games until dawn were a nightly occurrence. Good times.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 14:49 jdreyer

Nurgel wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 12:19:
My favorite RTS ever, lets hope its true. Its gonna need another epic music score as well, viva ARM vs CORE!

He uses TA composer Jeremy Soule for all his games, I don't see how he'd not get an another awesome score from him for this.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 14:46 jdreyer

Tim wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 11:39:
Oh sweet jesus please make proper RTS' like FA and TA again.

I'm still playing FA after all these years but i'd love to see a proper multicore aware RTS of the same pedigree.

Uh, yeah, me too. Also, more stability when you've got eight teams maxed at 1000 unit each. My machine keeps crashing an hour into the game...

18. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 14:43 jdreyer

Not looking forward to this at all.

Nope, not at all.

*starts crying tears of joy*

Biggrin

17. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 14:40 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:27:
McSterls wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:25:
He's run out of ideas for new original games.

So, what happened to "Wild Man" as the new and exciting game he unsuccessfully attempted to KickStart a few months back?

That was a "my company is running out of cash, so what can I do for $1m to get back on my feet."

What he REALLY wanted to do was Kings and Castles.

16. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 14:25 Creston

KS wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 13:35:

1. Sacrifice
2. Total Annihilation
3. Dungeon Keeper
4. Warcraft

Because they sold like shit, unfortunately.

15. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 13:35 KS

1. Sacrifice
2. Total Annihilation
3. Dungeon Keeper
4. Warcraft

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2013, 12:50 Rigs

Wish I had played TA when it was out all those years ago. I completely shunned the genre when it was big and bad and everyone wanted a piece of the action. After everyone found out that RTS games weren't the Holy Grail and you couldn't shoehorn every design to be an RTS (though the RTS/FPS mashups were fun if they managed to get it right, like Battlezone2 and Hostile Waters), I started playing games in the genre. But I never really got to TA before it became a relic and then shortly after SC came out and I was playing that...so...yeah...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

13. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 12:19 Nurgel

My favorite RTS ever, lets hope its true. Its gonna need another epic music score as well, viva ARM vs CORE!  

12. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 12:10 Creston

Tim wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 11:42:
2 can be rectified with mods to some degree (FA's UI was much improve on SC1 but mods made it better still) that allow commanders to upgrade significantly. BlackOps Unleashed is a great place to start assuming you've not come across it. Once your commander upgrades (there's an engineer or a combat engineer path) and gets a few kills he becomes pretty lethal.

Thanks for the tip!

11. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 11:42 Tim

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 11:32:
New TA is awesome, but I do want the following things:

1) SupCom's UI. Best UI EVER created for an RTS.

2) A Commander, but preferably one that can be upgraded much more than in SupCom. (Even fully upgraded, a Commander's just too weak to take into battle, so all he winds up doing is being a slightly better engineer.)

1 is very true. 2 can be rectified with mods to some degree (FA's UI was much improve on SC1 but mods made it better still) that allow commanders to upgrade significantly. BlackOps Unleashed is a great place to start assuming you've not come across it. Once your commander upgrades (there's an engineer or a combat engineer path) and gets a few kills he becomes pretty lethal.

10. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 11:39 Tim

Oh sweet jesus please make proper RTS' like FA and TA again.

I'm still playing FA after all these years but i'd love to see a proper multicore aware RTS of the same pedigree.

9. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 11:32 Creston

New TA is awesome, but I do want the following things:

1) SupCom's UI. Best UI EVER created for an RTS.

2) A Commander, but preferably one that can be upgraded much more than in SupCom. (Even fully upgraded, a Commander's just too weak to take into battle, so all he winds up doing is being a slightly better engineer.)

8. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 11:29 Darks

WaltC wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:52:
Darks wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:31:
That ended with him being bought out by Wargamer.

As for him running out of Ideas, not hardly. Wargamer just recently bought the rights to TA so of course Chris is going to get to make a new TA since he now falls under them. Please keep your hate to yourself!

I'll try and explain my question in mature terms. The one quote I remember reading from the Wargamer CEO when he rescued GPG was, "I can't wait to see Wildman!" Or something very close to that. He seemed really interested in Wildman when he bought Chris's company--maybe when he discovered that the back-of-napkin pencil drawings Chris did in the Wild man videos were about as far as the game had gone in actual development, he changed his mind. Or Chris changed his mind, I don't know. It certainly seems odd, is the only reason I commented. It is a perfectly normal question that I think anyone would ask.

Look, I don't "hate" anybody--I wish people would grow up and stop using that ridiculous term any time they encounter someone who is uninterested in sharing their adoration of certain people and/or games and/or programs. I don't worship anyone, and I don't hate anyone, and asking about Wildman is a perfectly rational, valid question that frankly I'm surprised someone else didn't ask first. Wildman was the last game Chris publicly talked about...hence the rationality behind the query.

Walt, in all honesty you donít know Chris or anything really about the guy or whatís going on with his company now that they are owned by Wargamer.

Just because Wargamers CEO showed interest in Wildman, does not equate to him buying the company just so they can continue making Wildman. There are far large things going on in the back ground that you know nothing about. So letís just leave it at that okay?

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2013, 11:36.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:52 WaltC

Darks wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:31:

As for him running out of Ideas, not hardly. Wargamer just recently bought the rights to TA so of course Chris is going to get to make a new TA since he now falls under them. Please keep your hate to yourself!

I'll try and explain my question in mature terms. The one quote I remember reading from the Wargamer CEO when he rescued GPG was, "I can't wait to see Wildman!" Or something very close to that. He seemed really interested in Wildman when he bought Chris's company--maybe when he discovered that the back-of-napkin pencil drawings Chris did in the Wild man videos were about as far as the game had gone in actual development, he changed his mind. Or Chris changed his mind, I don't know. It certainly seems odd, is the only reason I commented. It is a perfectly normal question that I think anyone would ask.

Look, I don't "hate" anybody--I wish people would grow up and stop using that ridiculous term any time they encounter someone who is uninterested in sharing their adoration of certain people and/or games and/or programs. I don't worship anyone, and I don't hate anyone, and asking about Wildman is a perfectly rational, valid question that frankly I'm surprised someone else didn't ask first. Wildman was the last game Chris publicly talked about...hence the rationality behind the query.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

6. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:31 Darks

WaltC wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 10:27:

So, what happened to "Wild Man" as the new and exciting game he unsuccessfully attempted to KickStart a few months back?

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

5. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:28 nin

Eh, if you're good at something...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:27 WaltC

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

3. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:25 McSterls

2. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:06 wonkawonka

It's as much a hint as a sledgehammer is a scalpel.  

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo