Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $21 Million

The Roberts Space Industries website has a new Letter from the Chairman celebrating the news that Star Citizen has surpassed the $21 million mark in crowd-sourced funding. Now that the Salvage Mechanic has been unlocked, they reveal a $23 million goal for the space combat game as the Salvage Mechanic career path. Here's a bit:

Iím proud to announce that the Star Citizen community has brought us to $21 million in crowd funding just shy of our first anniversary! Your support is now allowing the project to expand on ideas in ways we didnít originally think possible. Every additional pledge makes Star Citizen a better experience. At the $21 million, you unlock the full salvage mechanic, which allows us to produce the assets needed to make salvaging an in-depth game mechanic akin to exploration or piracy!

• Salvage Mechanic: Salvage isnít an aside: itís a career, with its own mechanic, story tie-ins and universe-shaping endgames. Search the galaxy for a host of valuable and interesting secrets using both the flight and FPS components. Discover the secrets of the ancient Hadesians, locate valuable components and cargoÖ or go down in history the first to make contact an entirely new alien race!

In addition, we are unlocking a new $23 million goal: the addition of a Xiían Scout as a playable asset in the game. Weíve recently begun putting together concept art of Xiían worlds, which got us thinking about the gameís Xiían ships: how can we make them play differently than the standard human ships? We have a few ideas and with this stretch goal we can put them into the game! In addition to alien designs and interfaces, the Xiían craft will feature a totally different maneuvering system.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 23:04 jacobvandy

AFAIK the common belief holds that they (anybody launching a game or whatever) deem it wasteful to pay to boost capacity temporarily, when they can just ride it out for a little while and bear the complaints until things calm down. It's not until a week later or so that they'll consider adding more hamsters to maintain a higher-than-expected player base.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2013, 23:32.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 22:52 Dev

Narf2029 wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 21:43:
To be fair, lots of companies blow their launch day. In the grand scheme, it costs a lot to handle one day's extraordinarily high demand when you consider it will probably never need that much infrastructure again as usage smooths out and/or tapers off.
Which seems quite silly to me. I mean with the cloud, you can add temporary capacity pretty easy. Just have to design your front ends properly to scale for sharing and balancing.

I'm sure there's ways to rent stuff like this too.

And yet valve continually falls on their face in this area. I could understand content servers getting overloaded, but they never do. Its frequently their front end that chokes when they have big sales. They have so much information as to how much demand they have and how much it increases, yet they still never have enough.

19. Re: Into the Black Oct 8, 2013, 22:43 NegaDeath

If any game has a chance to have a smooth launch it'll be this one. The large community and extensive alpha and beta public testing should give them the info to plot out exactly what they need.

Should being the operative word.

18. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 22:41 Suppa7

NKD wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:10:
Where is all this money coming from?

It's basically an extended kickstarter, if the people doing infinty and torment had setup their own crowdfunding sites and were better marketers I could see them taking in a significant amount of money relative to Chris's effort.

Many people seeking money don't setup their own crowdfunding site to continue to get funds. Not everyone has the time to pay attention to all the things going on around them with all the stuff in their own lives.

Hell I found out about kickstarters I found interesting years after they ended. Getting discovered is the biggest problem, having your own crowdfunding site allows you to be discovered at people leisure when they have the time.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2013, 22:49.

17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 22:11 Redmask

Darks wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 21:18:
The thing that's starting to concern me about this is when launch day comes, is he going to have enough infrastructure in place to handle everyone trying to get on all at once. This has launch day failure written all over it.

It's rare to see anything actually stay up on release day. People whine about it but it's quickly forgotten unless it's a continual problem like GTA Online.

16. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 21:47 Slinkycatz

Darks wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 21:18:
The thing that's starting to concern me about this is when launch day comes, is he going to have enough infrastructure in place to handle everyone trying to get on all at once. This has launch day failure written all over it.

If they just took our money and were keeping us in the dark until launch day, sure.

That isn't the route being taken. The hangar module is out and being alpha tested at this time. The dogfighting module comes out by Christmastime. This is how it will be until full release, and since there is no publisher breathing down their necks they can put off the launch day until they are ready.

Not a guarantee the game won't be a disaster, but so far I'm encouraged by what I see.

15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 21:43 Narf2029

To be fair, lots of companies blow their launch day. In the grand scheme, it costs a lot to handle one day's extraordinarily high demand when you consider it will probably never need that much infrastructure again as usage smooths out and/or tapers off.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

14. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 21:18 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

13. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 21:15 Slinkycatz

People telling their friends about the game. The average donation is still at about $77 per person right now.

Every day hundreds are signing up... it has been a slow uptick of the # of people signing up every day. It is not just the USA but all over the world.

$23 million is what will give CIG $21 million [after PayPal/Kickstarter/Credit card companies take their cut] to make the game without needing any outside investors/publishers.

12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 21:02 Kosumo

EA Could dump 100 million into a clone project, release before, and steal his thunder.

Shit like that can happen when the big boys of the game notice the profit you might make.

15 years time the EA game seires is huge and SC is a foot note.

11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 20:59 nin

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 20:36:
BobBob wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 20:03:

People who lack budgeting skills. I prefer to buy food for a homeless person on the street; it's a much better investment for my soul.

Nice! So why are you on a gaming website at all?

To bitch.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 20:50 Tumbler

I'm really close skipping the ps4 / 180 nonsense and dumping that $400+ into pc upgrades. Star Citizen is supposed to have a big sale or something on 10/10, maybe they'll have something that pushes me over the edge.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 20:36 Fibrocyte

BobBob wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 20:03:

People who lack budgeting skills. I prefer to buy food for a homeless person on the street; it's a much better investment for my soul.

Nice! So why are you on a gaming website at all? Surely you've never bought a game or a PC and you give the homeless all your money, right? Your "soul" must be perfect. You will undoubtedly go to "heaven".

8. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 20:34 Slashman

One asshat on the Egosoft forums was proud to announce that he went in at the $5000 tier. When I remarked that maybe he should have given that to charity or something, he accused me of 'not knowing how to make money' and that 5K was barely a night on the town.

This was all part of his protest of Rebirth being a Steamworks game. They are out there and they are Ucrazy

7. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 20:29 dj LiTh

jdreyer wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 20:06:
On a related note, Limit Theory looks like it's coming along nicely. By my estimation watching all the progress vids, Josh is probably a good couple of years out from having a complete game. But it looks awesome, and truly unique in the way he's implementing his AI and other features.

I think it'll come out in a little over a year, maybe for next xmas. Josh is starting to focus on the universe building rather then the engine/graphics coding. One things for sure though, we'll see Limit Theory before SC

6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 20:06 jdreyer

On a related note, Limit Theory looks like it's coming along nicely. By my estimation watching all the progress vids, Josh is probably a good couple of years out from having a complete game. But it looks awesome, and truly unique in the way he's implementing his AI and other features.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 20:03 BobBob

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2013, 20:13.

4. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 20:02 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:35:

I'd be more interested in where exactly its going, full accounting details would be nice.

At this point Chris is probably planning on never releasing: "I'll just keep adding tiers, updating the website, and watch the cash roll in"

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 19:41 Pete

This game is getting very thick with the features.  
Doin' it Big

2. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 19:35 dj LiTh

I'd be more interested in where exactly its going, full accounting details would be nice.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo