Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $21 Million

The Roberts Space Industries website has a new Letter from the Chairman celebrating the news that Star Citizen has surpassed the $21 million mark in crowd-sourced funding. Now that the Salvage Mechanic has been unlocked, they reveal a $23 million goal for the space combat game as the Salvage Mechanic career path. Here's a bit:

Iím proud to announce that the Star Citizen community has brought us to $21 million in crowd funding just shy of our first anniversary! Your support is now allowing the project to expand on ideas in ways we didnít originally think possible. Every additional pledge makes Star Citizen a better experience. At the $21 million, you unlock the full salvage mechanic, which allows us to produce the assets needed to make salvaging an in-depth game mechanic akin to exploration or piracy!

• Salvage Mechanic: Salvage isnít an aside: itís a career, with its own mechanic, story tie-ins and universe-shaping endgames. Search the galaxy for a host of valuable and interesting secrets using both the flight and FPS components. Discover the secrets of the ancient Hadesians, locate valuable components and cargoÖ or go down in history the first to make contact an entirely new alien race!

In addition, we are unlocking a new $23 million goal: the addition of a Xiían Scout as a playable asset in the game. Weíve recently begun putting together concept art of Xiían worlds, which got us thinking about the gameís Xiían ships: how can we make them play differently than the standard human ships? We have a few ideas and with this stretch goal we can put them into the game! In addition to alien designs and interfaces, the Xiían craft will feature a totally different maneuvering system.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

41. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 06:22 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 01:23:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 01:06:
Slinkycatz wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 21:15:
Every day hundreds are signing up... it has been a slow uptick of the # of people signing up every day. It is not just the USA but all over the world.

I just don't believe that 2000 people are signing up every day for $77 a piece, and keep on doing this so day after day after week after week after month after month. Not when no other Kickstarter has gotten even anywhere near those numbers of people. Yet Roberts keeps adding a million dollars basically every week?

I'm pretty sure this is just investor money that they're pretending is crowdsourced.

I'm a Star Citizen backer, but I share your suspicions. I'm sorry, but crowd sourced titles like this follow a pretty consistent pattern with how the money comes in. You don't keep up steady and consistent gains over a long period of time.

If I had to guess, I'd say a certain amount of investor money was gained early on, and he's pretending that its rolling in slowly to keep the game in the press. Admittedly a bit of a tinfoil hat theory, but something is definitely fishy here.

Yeah, there's something a bit fishy with the way the money is constantly flowing in. Typically a project will have an intial spike, and then a slowly tapering tail. SC spiked and came down, but it hasn't had a tail, it's had a plateau. It's very unusual.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 05:16 BazzaLB

datachasm wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 04:16:
go read about the development of Freelancer on wikipedia... Chris Roberts already tried to make this game once. what happened? Microsoft bought his studio Digital Anvil and asked that they "tone down" the features.

Which was because the thing had been in development for 7 years and they fancied getting some return on their investment in under 10.

Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 04:21 Jackplug

InBlack wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 04:10:
Pete wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:41:
This game is getting very thick with the features.

My thought exactly. There is no way that they are going to make this game with all of those features unless they STOP increasing their scope and goals and start working on implementing what was already promised. Jesus this salvage mechanic sounds like a whole goddamn game of its own from the news blurb. Its too fucking ambitious by far, and the whole damn thing is screaming SCAM! of some kind...

I totally agree with you there, SCAM is the very word that I thought when I read what he was proposing to do. This game is gonna fall 20mile from its target and then fall flat on its face.

Then all you supporters will get the oh we tried but found it impossible to implement without taking out lots of other features that you will love, This game will be just as good and we will try to implement then further on. Other words add them to some dlc and then try make you pay for them, while hes sunning his arse on a beach with your money!

38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 04:16 datachasm

go read about the development of Freelancer on wikipedia... Chris Roberts already tried to make this game once. what happened? Microsoft bought his studio Digital Anvil and asked that they "tone down" the features.

i think that their schedule is realistic, hangar, dogfighting, social/planetside, boarding, single player, persistent universe. a release every quarter.

37. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 04:15 Suppa7

NKD wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 01:23:
I'm a Star Citizen backer, but I share your suspicions. I'm sorry, but crowd sourced titles like this follow a pretty consistent pattern with how the money comes in.

There's a difference, roberts set up his own website to crowdfund. He used kickstarter only to collect 2 million. Many others didn't do the same thing.

Next is that Roberts is doing something in the space genre, the most derided and looked down upon genre in gaming by publishers in terms of financial prospects.

Space game fans are really just throwing their money at roberts because they hope he can reinvigorate a dead genre because most people who've been trying don't have the resources/talent to do so. So people who played Wing commander/freespace see Roberts as someone who can at least put out a respectable dogfight sim.

36. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 04:10 InBlack

Pete wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:41:
This game is getting very thick with the features.

My thought exactly. There is no way that they are going to make this game with all of those features unless they STOP increasing their scope and goals and start working on implementing what was already promised. Jesus this salvage mechanic sounds like a whole goddamn game of its own from the news blurb. Its too fucking ambitious by far, and the whole damn thing is screaming SCAM! of some kind...

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 03:59 InBlack

Kajetan wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 03:51:
OldTimber wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 03:33:
This game will end up being the Daikatana of space sims.
Since Daikatana isnt THAT bad as a lot of people think ... fine with me!

Fuck that. I dont want a daikatana in space, and I doubt it would be fine with people who you know actually backed...

I have a nifty blue line!

34. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 03:51 Kajetan

OldTimber wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 03:33:
Since Daikatana isnt THAT bad as a lot of people think ... fine with me!

33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 03:46 Luke

Nice! So why are you on a gaming website at all? Surely you've never bought a game or a PC and you give the homeless all your money, right? Your "soul" must be perfect. You will undoubtedly go to "heaven".

Wake up ...geez Book

32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 03:33 OldTimber

31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 03:21 jdreyer

Narf2029 wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 21:43:
To be fair, lots of companies blow their launch day. In the grand scheme, it costs a lot to handle one day's extraordinarily high demand when you consider it will probably never need that much infrastructure again as usage smooths out and/or tapers off.

You would think there'd be a way of getting Amazon cloud services or someone to provide extra capacity just for the launch. Maybe not affordable to Roberts, but EA has no excuse for the debacle that was SimCity.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 03:03 DangerDog

Looks like we've got a live one, some woman and a cat in cyro

well, there goes our salvage operation.

29. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 02:40 BobBob

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 20:36:

Nice! So why are you on a gaming website at all? Surely you've never bought a game or a PC and you give the homeless all your money, right? Your "soul" must be perfect. You will undoubtedly go to "heaven".

You missed the point completely.

28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 01:23 NKD

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 01:06:
Every day hundreds are signing up... it has been a slow uptick of the # of people signing up every day. It is not just the USA but all over the world.

I just don't believe that 2000 people are signing up every day for $77 a piece, and keep on doing this so day after day after week after week after month after month. Not when no other Kickstarter has gotten even anywhere near those numbers of people. Yet Roberts keeps adding a million dollars basically every week?

I'm pretty sure this is just investor money that they're pretending is crowdsourced.

I'm a Star Citizen backer, but I share your suspicions. I'm sorry, but crowd sourced titles like this follow a pretty consistent pattern with how the money comes in. You don't keep up steady and consistent gains over a long period of time.

If I had to guess, I'd say a certain amount of investor money was gained early on, and he's pretending that its rolling in slowly to keep the game in the press. Admittedly a bit of a tinfoil hat theory, but something is definitely fishy here.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 01:06 Creston

26. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 00:19 Flak

ItBurn wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 23:21:
I believe in Chris and Star Citizen, but let's not delude ourselves here, their servers will crash and burn HARD on release day. It's been like that with every single event or thing they released. They even joke about it and are open with the backers (if you stay in touch with the community). They know it, we know it, it'll be ok.

Hell, GTA Online, which is kind of a joke IMO (16 player instances, wow...really groundbreaking), couldn't handle launch and as far as I know is still experiencing problems.

While I am a big supporter of CR, CIG and SC, even the counter went down last night when they cracked 21,000,000.

At this point it's amusing that the expectations for large scale online 'releases' is to be a mess during the first day, if not the first week.

One thing that may help lessen the chance of that happening, or at least the severity, is their iterative development cycle, the base game will have been around for a long time before it officially 'launches', so hopefully they will have had practice in balancing server loads. That said, I imagine the dog fighting, planetside, and persistent universe releases will all be adventures.

25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 00:00 ItBurn

Dev wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 23:56:
I believe in Chris and Star Citizen, but let's not delude ourselves here, their servers will crash and burn HARD on release day. It's been like that with every single event or thing they released. They even joke about it and are open with the backers (if you stay in touch with the community). They know it, we know it, it'll be ok.

Buuuuuut. Since I backed the KS because I mostly wanted the single player, I'll be ok?
Right?
Right?

I'm pretty sure it's going to take you a week to be able to download the game from their servers...

24. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 23:56 Dev

Buuuuuut. Since I backed the KS because I mostly wanted the single player, I'll be ok?
Right?
Right?

23. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 23:40 Taskeen

NEXT FEATURE: WE'LL BUILD YOU A REAL SPACE SHIP SO YOU CAN EXPLORE OUR SOLAR SYSTEM

In all seriousness, cool, I still want to play space simulation Star Citizen and shoot the lasers, pew pew, in the space place!

22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 8, 2013, 23:21 ItBurn

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo