Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced

BioWare announces Galactic Starfighter, a new expansion coming to Star Wars: The Old Republic to add PvP space combat to the Star Wars MMORPG. This will go live for subscribers on December 3rd and will be released as a free-to-play expansion on February 4th. The Star Wars: The Old Republic website has more details and a teaser trailer. Here's the announcement:

AUSTIN, Texas – Oct. 8, 2013 – Join the battle and customize the ultimate starship to become a legendary Starfighter pilot in the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ universe! Today, BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA), and LucasArts announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic is adding Player-vs-Player (PvP) combat in the Free-to-Play Digital Expansion, Galactic Starfighter. With a variety of unique starships, a wide set of customization and upgrade options, multiple battle zones and gameplay modes, Galactic Starfighter brings the thrill of epic 12v12 space battles to Star Wars: The Old Republic for the first time.

Active Star Wars: The Old Republic subscribers will be offered Early Access starting December 3 and Preferred Status Players* on January 14. Galactic Starfighter will be offered as a Free-to-Play Digital Expansion available to the public beginning on February 4. Each group will also receive special in-game items as part of this Early Access opportunity. As a special benefit, active subscribers as of November 1 will receive an exclusive Galactic Starfighter early Gunship unlock and custom Gunship paint jobs**.

“Our goal with Star Wars: The Old Republic has always been to immerse players into their own Star Wars adventure and huge space battles are a vital part of fulfilling that fantasy,” said Jeff Hickman, General Manager of BioWare Austin. “Galactic Starfighter will be a deep experience that will continue to grow over time. We can’t wait for both our current and new players to get their hands on it soon.”

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 15:19 RavingArmy

Regrettably so. I'm one of those "Preferred Status Players" on account of my desire to get the shiny Collector's Edition, and I didn't even bother to try fumbling through a few missions. From what I remember, I had two bars, but I had originally set up four (covering speeders, long term buffs, etc.). My gather/craft skills were locked at two, not the three when I was subscribing. Just a litany of stupid things that were being paywalled for no obvious reason.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 14:21 KS

RavingArmy wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:17:
How about EA stops pretending SWTOR is "free-to-play" and does something that actually treats players like people and not sepoys? Either rework the model to GW2-style "buy to play" or revert to full subscription. Either way, I'd be more likely to play again.

A few months back I logged in, saw I had to pay money to have more than one button bar onscreen, and logged back out after fumbling through a few missions.

Is it still that way?

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 12:55 Endo

vrok wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 03:28:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 00:17:
Does anyone remember the anonymous employee that came out and lambasted this game for too much audio, not enough content.. the game would fail.. etc? Turns out.. he was RIGHT
While I agree that too much money spent on voice acting instead of the game brought the overall quality down, the game had tons of content at release. It was just leveling content and not end-game/PvP content. If you leveled multiple characters, and especially of both factions, you could have fresh content for months. I rather enjoyed the dungeons too.
Yes, it had lots of nice single-player story quests and some moderately interesting small-group instances. None of this is MMO content. Everything in SWTOR could (and should) have been done in a multiplayer version of KOTOR. SWG was an excellent example of what a Star Wars MMO should look like. SWTOR is an excellent example of how not to make an attempt at a Star Wars MMO.

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 08:10 Iridium

Personally I'd like to praise EA for going that extra mile and finding something else about SWTOR with which to disappoint me.

Kudos. It really takes effort at this point. But when the stakes are high I can always count on them to scrape the bottom of the barrel to cough up the most aggressively disappointing product possible. I mean, the new Sim City: who really expected that it would quite as far as it did down the shithole?

Truly an industry leader.

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 08:02 InBlack

Spektr wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 07:16:
Am I the only one who noticed the Lucasart splash screen whereas I was kinda expecting to see Disney instead :p

I have played a shitload of SW games but I cant remember the last time I played a star wars game that wasn't "meh"

Jedi Academy was pretty good.

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 07:16 Spektr

Am I the only one who noticed the Lucasart splash screen whereas I was kinda expecting to see Disney instead :p

I have played a shitload of SW games but I cant remember the last time I played a star wars game that wasn't "meh"

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 07:13 Spektr

Are you talking about Star Wars Galaxies? :p

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:34:

Quests!
Everyone wants to be a Jedi? Ok!
NO! QUESTS!
Rework the entire combat system? OK!
NO YOU DICKWEEDS, QUESTS!
Redo all the skills? Alrighty!
ARG! *RAGEQUIT*

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 04:35 Sleep

1badmf wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 02:25:
Does anyone remember the anonymous employee that came out and lambasted this game for too much audio, not enough content.. the game would fail.. etc? Turns out.. he was RIGHT

pfft i posted that on the closed beta forums several times right after beta began. not a sniff. the only thing they were interested in was tweaking their wow clone in space, not making anything innovative.

If they had managed a WoW clone in space they would be popular, but this is no WoW. Its jailhouse MMO at its worst and the space combat is insulting. The voice acting got boring as hell after an hour, which considering that was the only thing that set it apart from a really average MMO, was as disastrous as they cintinuously denied it was. 200 million - 10 x star citzizens budget and this shit is what they made. So disappointing.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 04:15 InBlack

Taskeen wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:48:
HUGE MEH.

Until I see a return of another X-Wing or TIE Fighter game, these are just crap in comparison. I didn't see one aspect of the simmy experience from the better classics. That looks like pure arcade trash.

If EA had simply skipped making this fucking travesty and invested say 10% of the budget into a Xwing vs Tie Fighter sequel, they would have:

A) Saved a shitload of money and face
B) Saved Bioware's reputation (sort of)
C) Made a shitload of cash

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 03:33 jdreyer

Taskeen wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:48:
HUGE MEH.

Until I see a return of another X-Wing or TIE Fighter game, these are just crap in comparison. I didn't see one aspect of the simmy experience from the better classics. That looks like pure arcade trash.

Yeah, I have to agree. Sadly.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 03:28 vrok

While I agree that too much money spent on voice acting instead of the game brought the overall quality down, the game had tons of content at release. It was just leveling content and not end-game/PvP content. If you leveled multiple characters, and especially of both factions, you could have fresh content for months. I rather enjoyed the dungeons too.

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 03:28 OldTimber

If only they'd pull a Square Enix and shut this crap down, rebuild it and then rerelease it with a engine that actual works it would be worth it. But no they went the route of our game sucks but it's Star Wars so we'll milk it for all it's worth by throwing a cash shop into it. Guess they saw the subs and item purchases starting to drop so they scrambled around and remembered hey we can add even more shitty space combat into the game. But we'll throw some carrots out about it to keep people interested a few more months.  

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 02:25 1badmf

pfft i posted that on the closed beta forums several times right after beta began. not a sniff. the only thing they were interested in was tweaking their wow clone in space, not making anything innovative.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 00:17 ColoradoHoudini

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 8, 2013, 21:44 Narf2029

So... what? People will get to do on-rails space shooting sequences, but toward each other?  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 8, 2013, 20:57 nin

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:36:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:27:
Fly back to that place, get out, travel to the main area, run in, get one line of dialogue, run out and back to where I originally was.. 15 minutes ago.. ugh.. screw you.

Don't forget the wonderful space station buffers between ship and planet!

Pretty similar to my own experiences. Leave station, fly to planet, clear 4 zones, fly back to station, repeat. By the 4th or 5th time (early 30s), I was bored.

I will give props to whoever came up with that quest where the imperial boss killed all his subordinates, before he realized the reason they were being sneaky was they were planning a surprise birthday party for him. That was funny...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 8, 2013, 20:54 The Half Elf

I don't know.... if they can pull this off and 'EVENTUALLY' get full Space Combat/Exploration like Jump to Lightspeed, then they would have a shot.

Is it a bad MMO? No. It is a Good MMO? Sorta.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 8, 2013, 19:48 Taskeen

HUGE MEH.

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 8, 2013, 19:36 Wallshadows

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 19:27:
Fly back to that place, get out, travel to the main area, run in, get one line of dialogue, run out and back to where I originally was.. 15 minutes ago.. ugh.. screw you.

Don't forget the wonderful space station buffers between ship and planet!

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 8, 2013, 19:34 Agent.X7

Ugh, the space combat was the worst part of a pretty blah game. Light Speed for the original SW Galaxies was way better. Coem to think of it, SWG was pretty much better in every respect. All we wanted were quests, but noooooo. The devs had to keep fucking with the base game instead.

Quests!
Everyone wants to be a Jedi? Ok!
NO! QUESTS!
Rework the entire combat system? OK!
NO YOU DICKWEEDS, QUESTS!
Redo all the skills? Alrighty!
ARG! *RAGEQUIT*

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7