Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play

Trendy Entertainment announces they are no longer including any MOBA-style gameplay in Dungeon Defenders II, saying based on fan reaction to the idea, they will concentrate on the action/tower defense elements that were intrinsic to the success of the first game. The game is still planned for launch in the spring as a free-to-play title for Windows, OS X, and Linux, but with a new, old focus. "We’ve been listening very closely to our community, getting feedback from fans of the first game on what they want to see in a sequel, and we realized we needed a shift in our development focus," said Philip Asher, Marketing Director at Trendy Entertainment. "We had strayed from making the kind of game fans wanted and the kind of game we wanted to develop. So, we’ve nixed the MOBA-style of gameplay and other ‘extra’ features we were talking about and instead are making the sequel we all want to play. We’re improving everything we loved about Dungeon Defenders, one step at a time. First we’re going through the core gameplay experience; injecting more meaningful decisions and moments into the minute to minute gameplay that you’ll want to share with your friends. Then, in late October we’re going to kick off our first major community initiative to get fans involved in the development of the game, and start working with them to make the roleplaying and item systems as satisfying as possible." There's a new blog update about this with a new teaser trailer.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 22:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, I'm glad they had a small dose of common sense and avoided MOBA, but something tells me this sequel will get as grindy as the first one did.

I'll still try it, as I played a lot of the first game until I simply got sick of redoing the same levels so many times, but Free to Play, along with attempted MOBA... I'm expecting some serious pay to win or nickel and dime action somewhere in there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 15:44 Axis

1st game was great but I stopped playing before any of the paid DLCs. I'll get the next if it's an improvement.  

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 15:28 Scheherazade

DD was really entertaining.
It only wore out at the higher levels where the stat inflation got insane.

So it was a choice between tedium, or buying your way past the tedium but then the game was basically over.

By state inflation I mean this :
If you could just beat the game on easy, you could get half way through medium.
If you could just beat the game on medium, you could get half way through hard.
If you could just beat the game on hard, you could get half way through insane.

If you could just beat the game on insane ... you would be lucky beating lvl1 on nightmare.

And that's what made it stupid at the end. It turned into a snails pace equipment grind, or 'buy your way past the hump' from people who already worked past the hump.

When a game gets to the point where you have to replay old content on old skills 10000000000 times over, just to get started on new skills, it dies from 'rerun-syndrome'.

MOBA sounds like a good way to do DD in a team vs team PvP setup.
You already got waves of minions fighting heroes... so just make a map with heroes on opposite sides and minions coming across the map.
Basically, a MOBA, but with persistent character builds instead of new builds every game.

-scheherazade

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2013, 15:38.

6. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 15:19 El Pit

The first Dungeon Defenders was fun, but far too repetitive. That does not mean that it should be turned into a MOBA TD ARPG hybrid!

Anyway - where's that yearly Call of Duty MOBA ActiBlizz is planning right now?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

5. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 15:06 dj LiTh

Well considering the type of game it already is, i dont think its inclusion would take much of anything to do or take away from its core game.  

4. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 14:56 Slashman

I'm sorry but they get no credit for this move from me.

Who the hell asked them to make a MOBA in the first place? It certainly wasn't the fans, so why would you even begin to expend development resources on something like that?

What is worse is calling it Dungeon Defenders 2. I mean...seriously?

It's like: 'Hey guys, we made a really successful tower defense game that was enjoyed across all platforms. Let's just crap all over that and jump on the Dota bandwagon!!!'

3. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 14:54 jacobvandy

They apparently have some interest in PVP, but they never finished their CTF mode or anything else for the first game. So I guess they decided to focus on MOBA junk for the sequel, but were quickly beaten into submission by the vast majority of their players who don't give a crap about PVP in Dungeon Defenders... It's an ARPG TD, and that's enough. If I wanted MOBA, I'd go play a danged MOBA.  

2. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 14:43 Creston

MOBA is the industry's new buzzword. Few people apparently know what it means, but they all think that MOBA=KACHINGALING!!!

Sigh

1. Re: Dungeon Defenders II Dropping MOBA Play Oct 8, 2013, 14:36 jdreyer

Wherein common sense prevails.

More MOBAs the world needs not.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo