Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition

Gearbox Software announces the availability of the Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition, offering their role-playing first-person shooter along with all its first Season Pass content as well as the two additional player classes, and more. Here's the deal:

The Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition gives players the ability to take each of the six playable Vault Hunters to new levels, enjoy hundreds of hours of shoot-and-loot mayhem, and play each of the four highly popular add-on campaigns, all in one action-packed bundle. The Game of the Year Edition includes:

• Borderlands 2 main game;
  • Captain Scarlett and her Pirate’s Booty;
  • Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage;
  • Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt;
  • Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep;
  • Creature Slaughter Dome;
  • Premiere Club Content:
    • Gaige, the Mechromancer Character Class;
    • Gearbox Gun Pack;
    • Golden Key;
    • Vault Hunter's Relic;
  • Krieg, the Psycho Character Class;
  • Collector’s Edition Heads and Skins;
  • Contraband Sky Rocket Grenade;
  • Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 1.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 01:23 slaka

Good deal here at www.dealzon.com - $15 off at GMG which takes it to $45  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 9, 2013, 09:23 Verno

Man say what you will about Roper but at least HGL was ambitious which is more than I can say for a lot of modern dreck. Roper's problem was a lack of management skills, Hellgate would have been really solid if it had better project management and more time in the can.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 9, 2013, 07:03 jdreyer

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 16:35:
Whatever happened to Roper?

I couldn't find anything past 2011 for Bill. My guess is that he's waiting for the sour taste of Hellgate to wash out of people's mouths, then he'll do an ARPG Kickstarter titled, HellKitchen: New York. IN this game demons invade NYC, and you play as one of three classes in an attempt to purge the evil. Stay a while, and listen...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Oct 9, 2013, 04:45 Tim

GL1zdA wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 03:45:
Will I miss a lot if I start with Borderlands 2 and skip Borderlands?

No, B2 is a lot more refined in many ways and the physx stuff is very cool too. It doesn't require you to know the story of the first really.
I went back to B1 last weekend and it felt a lot different from how I remember it (funny how the incremental changes add up to so much). I've sunk an ungodly amount of time into B2 - great game and very well supported with so many expansions. The addition of some really fun characters after release (with neat powerups and powers) kept me going back.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 9, 2013, 03:45 GL1zdA

Will I miss a lot if I start with Borderlands 2 and skip Borderlands?  

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 9, 2013, 00:23 Axis

ItBurn wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 17:17:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 17:12:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 17:10:
Hellgate wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth a subscription price. That killed it before it really got traction.

Did they ever release the new version for the US? I know another company bought it and was running it in the EU.

Not sure, maybe ItBurn can chime in on that one. But i really enjoyed it when flagship was running it, and was sad how it went out

Yes, it works in the US now. It's called Hellgate: Tokyo. They added an insane amount of content. The Tokyo expansion is huge. It's free to play, but definitely pay to win. You absolutely don't need to pay to progress in the game and have fun in coop. The performance of the game can be pretty bad in some areas and the servers occasionally lag, but it's been ok for me.

http://hellgate.t3fun.com/base.html

Wish the old forums worked, I wouldn't want to even try to remember how I played my Engi.

Still, its the only real FPS ARPG Diablo-loot style out there (and not mainstream really), really needs to be Borderlands Online next year -- it'd be a smash hit.

Yours truly,

Axis

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 17:17 ItBurn

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 17:12:
Hellgate wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth a subscription price. That killed it before it really got traction.

Did they ever release the new version for the US? I know another company bought it and was running it in the EU.

Not sure, maybe ItBurn can chime in on that one. But i really enjoyed it when flagship was running it, and was sad how it went out

Yes, it works in the US now. It's called Hellgate: Tokyo. They added an insane amount of content. The Tokyo expansion is huge. It's free to play, but definitely pay to win. You absolutely don't need to pay to progress in the game and have fun in coop. The performance of the game can be pretty bad in some areas and the servers occasionally lag, but it's been ok for me.

http://hellgate.t3fun.com/base.html

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 17:12 dj LiTh

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 17:10 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:56 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 16:48:
Every single review I'm pulling up mentions the auto-aim.
From Wikipedia:
Precision aiming is not required to use most weapons; which track their targets, "lock-on", or carpet an area with explosives... The weapons base their power on character stats more than a player's aiming skills, being more of an RPG than an FPS in this regard.
From Gamespot:
You get the impression that when you aim your weapon at something and start firing, all you're doing is triggering some hidden series of dice rolls that determine how hard you hit.
From the Hellgate London Wiki:
Although the game looks like a shooter, pinpoint aiming skills are not required. Most weapons track their targets, lock on, or simply carpet an area with explosives.

Maybe it changed over time?

In any case, as to how it was "designed," here are quotes from Roper when the game was first revealed at E3:
. Although at times the game has a very distinct FPS feel to it, we have gone to great lengths to remove the necessity for players to have pixel-perfect aiming skills or hyper-accurate reflexes to succeed in the game. Killing monsters is all about your character level, your character skills and spells, and the equipment and weapons you?ve managed to acquire.

The original design was Diablo with a first person perspective. Similar to how, in Diablo, you just point at a demon and click to attack it, that was the original, stated goal from Flagship in 2005.

Well, it's not quake 3! It doesn't require split second fps aiming(neither does BL). But you do need to aim at your targets, get closer if your gun is not accurate enough and stop moving/shooting for the spread to diminish. There are no dice rolls to hitting or not. Other than the random spread of a gun, just like in every fps ever. Yes, the equipment and skills are more important than aiming. But you do need to aim and aiming fast will pull you out of a lot of trouble. Those "reviews" do somewhat tell the truth(there's absolutely never been lock-on though), but for some reason you read them wrong :p Trust me, I've played this game a lot, I'm actually currently playing it...

I think that there's a lot of disinformation floating around because of the anger directed towards the game.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:54 dj LiTh

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 16:35:

Thats a good question! Hadnt heard anything from him since HG:L

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:48 Beamer

Every single review I'm pulling up mentions the auto-aim.
From Wikipedia:
Precision aiming is not required to use most weapons; which track their targets, "lock-on", or carpet an area with explosives... The weapons base their power on character stats more than a player's aiming skills, being more of an RPG than an FPS in this regard.
From Gamespot:
You get the impression that when you aim your weapon at something and start firing, all you're doing is triggering some hidden series of dice rolls that determine how hard you hit.
From the Hellgate London Wiki:
Although the game looks like a shooter, pinpoint aiming skills are not required. Most weapons track their targets, lock on, or simply carpet an area with explosives.

Maybe it changed over time?

In any case, as to how it was "designed," here are quotes from Roper when the game was first revealed at E3:
. Although at times the game has a very distinct FPS feel to it, we have gone to great lengths to remove the necessity for players to have pixel-perfect aiming skills or hyper-accurate reflexes to succeed in the game. Killing monsters is all about your character level, your character skills and spells, and the equipment and weapons you?ve managed to acquire.

The original design was Diablo with a first person perspective. Similar to how, in Diablo, you just point at a demon and click to attack it, that was the original, stated goal from Flagship in 2005.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:35 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:32 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 16:19:
Axis wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 16:07:
Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 15:56:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 15:11:
Its a Hellgate: London clone

<runs and hides>

It's an FPS. HGL was not, it was just an action game with an FP view. From what I recall, it was autoaim - just push the button with something in the screen and it fired at it.

Borderlands requires some FPS skill. Maybe not as much as, say, Battlefield, but it requires some.

Beamer you argue about the stupidest shit and make yourself look terribly ignorant.

HGL is was always will be a First Person Shooter.

And Battlefield doesn't require keen FPS 'skill', Quake Live does.

Then that changed before release, because the original previews all mentioned that yes, it was an auto-aim game. In fact, go watch the debut trailers from E3 again - the game had a 3rd person mode. The player had a choice to play in FP or TP.

So, while this may have changed, the game was designed to be third person or first person and to be all auto-aimed. Here's the discussion on Blues from the announce. Notice people bitching about how Flagship was calling the ballistic weapons system like spell delivery and that it didn't need to be aimed.

I played the game since day one and there never was auto-aim. There's no way it was "designed" to have auto-aim. It would have been a huge task to change everything. As for the first person mode, you can switch between 1st and 3rd at any time. The 3rd person view obviously has view advantages, but the 1st person one is very solid. I much prefer the 1st person view. They show your weapons in full detail and even the mods you equip in them. If you're going to use the "designed" term, then it was designed for both 1st and 3rd person. I assure you that it does feel like a fps and does not have mmo gameplay.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:30 avianflu

Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep was completely and utterly brilliant.

The rest of BL2 was lots of MOTS, but very very polished MOTS.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:29 dj LiTh

Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 16:19:

<runs and hides>

It's an FPS. HGL was not, it was just an action game with an FP view. From what I recall, it was autoaim - just push the button with something in the screen and it fired at it.

Borderlands requires some FPS skill. Maybe not as much as, say, Battlefield, but it requires some.

Beamer you argue about the stupidest shit and make yourself look terribly ignorant.

Then that changed before release, because the original previews all mentioned that yes, it was an auto-aim game. In fact, go watch the debut trailers from E3 again - the game had a 3rd person mode. The player had a choice to play in FP or TP.

So, while this may have changed, the game was designed to be third person or first person and to be all auto-aimed. Here's the discussion on Blues from the announce. Notice people bitching about how Flagship was calling the ballistic weapons system like spell delivery and that it didn't need to be aimed.

Just because a game gives you the option for a third person camera doesnt mean that it cannot be a FPS. Also i played the game in beta and release, i never noticed anything autoaim about it. Or you could just listen to your own self.
Beamer wrote on Apr 26, 2005, 20:32:
As did I. I had no clue it was an FPS.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:19 Beamer

<runs and hides>

-------------

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:07 Axis

<runs and hides>

Yours truly,

Axis

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 16:06 ItBurn

<runs and hides>

While the FPS mechanics of BL are indeed better, HGL does NOT have auto-aim. You have to shoot at enemies and gun spread and accuracy is a huge factor in what weapons and skills you use. Also, circle strafing, dodging and going behind cover helps significantly as enemies use the same abilities as you do.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Oct 8, 2013, 15:56 Beamer

<runs and hides>

-------------

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo