Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2013, 08:53 Verno

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 20:18:
LMAO! Sometimes I wonder if my sense of humor is broken. Or maybe my time overseas made it a bit darker and dryer. Either way thanks to Hellbinder, Cutter, Dmitri.... Hell, thank you all.

Hellbinder, after reading your post I have to ask. Do you own a cell phone, or use a landline, use a local cable provider, or possibly have an Internet connection at your house currently? Because if you're worried the XBOne will monitor you... it will... just like all those other services do. Maybe it takes it too a whole new level. Time will tell.

People being ok with a cell phone knowing their geographical location is not the same thing as a literal camera turned on in your living room that also contains a microphone. My cell phone spends most of the day in my pocket so it can't really catch anything interesting and I control its level of access since I'm using an open platform on mine. I'm surprised this really needs to be spelled out.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 8, 2013, 01:01 Hellbinder

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 20:18:
LMAO! Sometimes I wonder if my sense of humor is broken. Or maybe my time overseas made it a bit darker and dryer. Either way thanks to Hellbinder, Cutter, Dmitri.... Hell, thank you all.

Hellbinder, after reading your post I have to ask. Do you own a cell phone, or use a landline, use a local cable provider, or possibly have an Internet connection at your house currently? Because if you're worried the XBOne will monitor you... it will... just like all those other services do. Maybe it takes it too a whole new level. Time will tell.

big difference having a device that is always on, always connected and always watching and listening to you and everyone in your house. Even when it looks off.

If you cant see that is right up there with THX 1138 or Equilibrium then I don't know what to tell you.

as for me and my house.. not a chance! You let the NSA and whoever else can hack the system watch you scratch your balls on the couch if you want to. but don't come crying later when the shit hits the fan.

The Whales name is Bob.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 23:59 nin

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:52:
All the negative nancies who auto hate MS because they think it's cool, don't even know what they're talking about. It could be the coolest feature ever and they'd still find something negative to say about MS.

It's gettin' old, smelly hipsters. Get a job and move out of your parent's house.

The question to ask is: Is microsoft, a multi billion dollar company, doing something because it's a cool idea, or because there's a profit to be made?

I think we both know the answer...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 23:52 Steele Johnson

All the negative nancies who auto hate MS because they think it's cool, don't even know what they're talking about. It could be the coolest feature ever and they'd still find something negative to say about MS.

It's gettin' old, smelly hipsters. Get a job and move out of your parent's house.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 20:46 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 15:54:
But....but...but...Beamer said ad firms would have zero interest in biometric data and no one would know what to do with it anyway. Derp! Wrong again as usual.

Wait, so where is the proof they do? Because some Microsoft guy said it?
You never believe what Microsoft says, so how are you picking-and-choosing?

When P&G or Verizon pays money, then I'll believe it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 20:18 Paranoid Jack

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2013, 22:06.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 18:56 Julio

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 18:27:
I can't recall any of yours except this vague feeling of annoyance and disgust. A hit of turd whiff.

Were you the poster from the other day eating his apple while taking a dump? I can't recall.

LOL at Beamer's belief that advertisers don't want the data. Microsoft caught not being honest again. They should insist all of their employees stop talking to the media and use a proper PR team who handles all communication.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 18:27 Dmitri_M

But....but...but...Beamer said ad firms would have zero interest in biometric data and no one would know what to do with it anyway. Derp! Wrong again as usual.
Well at least you can recall other's posts.

I can't recall any of yours except this vague feeling of annoyance and disgust.

A hit of turd whiff.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 18:23 Pankin

I remember that also. LOLz.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 15:54 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 14:57 jacobvandy

Well, it's not too difficult to keep a buffer of 10 minutes or so on a constant recording loop (with minimal space usage), so when you do pop a cheeve it can save the footage for good. And they're going to reserve 50% of the drive in a partition specifically for ads, of course!  

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 14:40 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 14:32:
Tumbler wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 11:29:
Xbox One DVR automatically records gameplay when an achievement is unlocked

Yet another feature gamers never wanted. How do you Fuck up dvr functions this bad. Just let people record what they want and post it on YouTube. Is that so hard!? All these rules and now certain things are auto recorded. Just stop. FFS just stop. Give the players tools and then stop. Whatever you come up with after you create the tools, just blackhole it.

I think this is a good feature in theory. It would be cool to have it recorded when you get "Hatchet Man: kill an enemy from 100 yards away with your axe." The problem is that most achievements are of the "Fur Coat: You killed 10 wolves!" type.

Also, in order for it to record the hatchet man achievement, it'd have to be recording all the time, just in case you happen to 'achieve' something. It's not like it'll know 5 seconds in advance that it needs to start recording for that achievement.

So it's constantly filling up your drive with all your gameplay, that you then undoubtedly manually have to delete? Joy.

And if that drive's full, how will they have space to store more ads locally for you???

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 14:32 jdreyer

Yet another feature gamers never wanted. How do you Fuck up dvr functions this bad. Just let people record what they want and post it on YouTube. Is that so hard!? All these rules and now certain things are auto recorded. Just stop. FFS just stop. Give the players tools and then stop. Whatever you come up with after you create the tools, just blackhole it.

I think this is a good feature in theory. It would be cool to have it recorded when you get "Hatchet Man: kill an enemy from 100 yards away with your axe." The problem is that most achievements are of the "Fur Coat: You killed 10 wolves!" type.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 14:18 Tumbler

Like I said, I don't know the rules and was sure they're stupid. 5 minutes is indeed stupid, but then again, outside of those Let's Play things, I doubt anyone on YouTube is watching much more than 5 minutes of anyone's gaming (exceptions also being people that totally dominate a round of whatever multiplayer game.)

It's possible MS's isn't being clear enough on how recording works. It would make sense to limit uploaded video clips to 5 min to encourage people to edit video down. A 10-15 min match where you had some awesome kills and such could be cut down to 5 min or less and be much better than watching the full match.

They'll probably move to something like this even if it wasn't initially planned but it's bizarre how so many of their ideas and features seem half baked at this point. Like they just grabbed everything off the drawing board and threw it into marketing because they needed something to show right now.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 13:47 Beamer

Tumbler wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 13:39:
you get some achievement without planning for it, or really noticing, by doing something really cool.

I rarely feel that I earn achievements for doing something "really cool". It's more often silly or unremarkable. You completed the Grand Theft Auto online introduction! You completed your first mission! You planned your first Heist!

Adding video of that happening is stupid. It's enough that those markers are stored in your profile.

They should be announcing features like recording preferences.

For Example:

"We know from playing games that when something awesome happens on screen we're not always ready for it. Since we made the decision to limit recording to 5 min we obviously don't want players to just keep recording little 5 min bursts over and over again so we allow you to configure ahead of time what is being recorded all the time.

You can configure the recording to start when you press the button, you can have the recording always remember the last 30 seconds and when you press the button you get another 4:30 of recording.

You can also have the recording ready to captures the last 2:30 so when you press record you're grabbing 2:30 that already happened and another 2:30 or recording time.

Oh and you know what? As I'm writing this I'm realizing how fucking stupid it is to limit you to 5 min in the first place so instead you can just set it to record everything you do up to 2 hours and you can decide what to do with it. Record away folks, it makes no sense to try and force recordings down to 5 min.

Sorry, we didn't think that through until just now. You know what...I'm starting to think this is a really shitty dvr...it doesn't record TV? ...wtf? Only 5 min of gameplay...who came up with this? Don? Don Matrick? Well fire his stupid ass. He Quit? What else did he come up with? Press stop? What are you-"

Like I said, I don't know the rules and was sure they're stupid. 5 minutes is indeed stupid, but then again, outside of those Let's Play things, I doubt anyone on YouTube is watching much more than 5 minutes of anyone's gaming (exceptions also being people that totally dominate a round of whatever multiplayer game.)

The other things you're discussing are probably not set in stone yet, but if it's always recording you getting an achievement then it probably is always recording the last X seconds.

Anyway, for personal use, Halo 3s recorder is still superior. It recorded a match, not a perspective, so you could go in and move the camera. It was pretty amazing to make friends relieve humiliation.

-------------

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 13:39 Tumbler

you get some achievement without planning for it, or really noticing, by doing something really cool.

I rarely feel that I earn achievements for doing something "really cool". It's more often silly or unremarkable. You completed the Grand Theft Auto online introduction! You completed your first mission! You planned your first Heist!

Adding video of that happening is stupid. It's enough that those markers are stored in your profile.

They should be announcing features like recording preferences.

For Example:

"We know from playing games that when something awesome happens on screen we're not always ready for it. Since we made the decision to limit recording to 5 min we obviously don't want players to just keep recording little 5 min bursts over and over again so we allow you to configure ahead of time what is being recorded all the time.

You can configure the recording to start when you press the button, you can have the recording always remember the last 30 seconds and when you press the button you get another 4:30 of recording.

You can also have the recording ready to captures the last 2:30 so when you press record you're grabbing 2:30 that already happened and another 2:30 or recording time.

Oh and you know what? As I'm writing this I'm realizing how fucking stupid it is to limit you to 5 min in the first place so instead you can just set it to record everything you do up to 2 hours and you can decide what to do with it. Record away folks, it makes no sense to try and force recordings down to 5 min.

Sorry, we didn't think that through until just now. You know what...I'm starting to think this is a really shitty dvr...it doesn't record TV? ...wtf? Only 5 min of gameplay...who came up with this? Don? Don Matrick? Well fire his stupid ass. He Quit? What else did he come up with? Press stop? What are you-"

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 11:55 Beamer

I don't get this partilar backlash. This actually sounds pretty cool, as sometimes (especially online) you get some achievement without planning for it, or really noticing, by doing something really cool. Having the software auto-grab it and letting you review later just seems like a good idea.

I don't know what other rules there are, and imagine they're asinine and dumb, but this particular thing seems to just make sense. No matter what tools you give people, this will always be the type of thing that isn't easily anticipated.

-------------

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 11:54 LurkerLito

He went on: "What I think you're asking about is an interview done earlier in the year where someone was talking about how some of the new Xbox One Kinect features could (emphasis his) be used in advertising ... Firstónobody is working on that.
I think that quote from the article should be read as "First-nobody is working on that (anymore)." I am sure that was the original goal of the always on with mandatory kinect. The article basically shows how much advertisers wanted this info and you know MS would be charging a very big premium for that data. The only thing that stopped them was the backlash from the gamers. Can you imagine just how many billions of dollars MS could have made with that feature in place? Just the implications of every owner of a XBone being a Neilsen home would have made Billions and though MS would never do it, they could have made XBLive Gold free for all who "agree to be a neilsen home".

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 11:46 Hellbinder

nin wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 10:55:
Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 10:51:
Poor Microsoft. Here you have Penelo saying that the Kinect has nothing to do with advertising, and then Mehdi goes and says "Yeah dude, we're gonna rock the advertising world with Kinect!" forcing Penelo to backscrabble again and come up with bullshit yabber trying to explain that what he said and what his colleague said aren't diametrically opposed.

Here's a hint, Microsoft: Figure out what you're going to say as a company before one of those morons goes and talks to people. Since it's become readily apparent that you guys are utterly incapable of this, I will offer my services as Senior Vice President of Corporate Communications for the meagre fee of 60% of their combined salaries.

I kind of enjoy their frequent fuck ups. Very entertaining to watch.

yeah its real amusing that a company is clearly planning on invading everyone's privacy to unprecedented levels and cant get their story straight about it.

I cant believe how naÔve people are to even think about putting one of those things in their house. How would you ever have any sense of security that you were not being watched and recorded? Or that personal info about you was being sold to advertisers?

The Whales name is Bob.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2013, 11:29 Tumbler

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo