Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 8, 2013, 09:30 Verno

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:59:
MSE and common sense works perfectly for me. But MSE has always been a lightweight solution (that's actually why I like it). But I can see why they would recommend a thicker wall app for the not so tech savvy and the dumb.

Rootkits like ZeroAccess can live in driveby installers so you could be infected and have no idea, "common sense" doesn't work by itself anymore. People have been infected from driver installs from OEM websites and all sorts of shit where you would expect the source to be legit. But hey I'm sure you're a tech savvy guy who is checking MD5 sums for every single driver he installs LOL!

The bottom line is that MSE is lightweight and ineffective these days. Have fun serving up clicks for botnets common sense master!

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 8, 2013, 02:21 Ladron3dfx

http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html
For firewall, I use Private Firewall 7.0, freeware. It has process monitoring (can be disabled if desired), application rules, training/learning feature, logging, import/export settings, 5mb installed, uses about 40mb mem more or less running. It doesn't hinder or slow the system at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwMlK2e546o
Review of Private Firewall.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2013, 02:48.

Steamworks

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 23:59 Steele Johnson

MSE and common sense works perfectly for me. But MSE has always been a lightweight solution (that's actually why I like it). But I can see why they would recommend a thicker wall app for the not so tech savvy and the dumb.  

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 22:39 Creston

jimnms wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 17:58:
Before that, I used AVG. I don't remember which version, but when they pushed out a new version, it turned it into a resource hogging piece of shit. I think a lot of people jumped AVG's ship then. So who does that leave? If you try the free Comodo AV, let us know how it is.

Thanks for the notes on the Comodo firewall... Doesn't sound promising. I'll still give it a try, see how it goes.

I've had the same issues you did with Avira (CONSTANT ads), AVG (bloatware) and I've also had issues with Avast, in that it adds roughly 10-15 seconds of boot-up time to a system.

So I'm quickly running out of options. I may just bite the bullet and pay Kaspersky.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 19:04 Julio

The internet freedom study is definitely lacking in quality. Sponsored by the NSA to look more positive?  

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 18:17 nin

Interesting that someone in the comments points out there's no source for the afterdawn article.

Ah, they added it

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 17:58 jimnms

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 14:44:
Yeah, I've depended on it for a few years and to be fair, it's kept my system clean, but it's really starting to become worrisomely bad in tests.

Think I'll go with Comodo. Anyone have any experience with Comodo?

I don't know about Comodo Anti-virus, but I use the free Comodo Firewall, for now. I'm still using version 5. When they came out with version 6, I updated it first on my notebook and quickly uninstalled it. Version 5 has a nice, clean interface and uses very little RAM. Version 6 introduced a bloated turd of an interface which required clicking through several menus to access things that you used to be able to do in one or two clicks. It went from 2 background processes using little RAM (looked at it right now and combined it's only using ~8MB) to version 6 using 5 processes when idle, and spawning new processes every time you access it. Spawning those new processes every time also causes the program to seem laggy. In version 5, double clicking the task bar icon instantly brings up the interface. In version 6, double clicking the task bar icon caused it to spawn one or more new process, which caused a noticeable delay.

This sucks. I've been using MSSE for the past 4 years or so. I like it because it isn't intrusive and resource hungry. It's hard to find good (and free) anti-virus software that isn't bloated crap. Before switching to MSSE, I used Avira free, but then they updated it and while it looked the same, and was still nice and lean, they made it so that the free version would pop up ads every time it updated the database. I wouldn't mind the ads if they were reasonable, but they were giant fucking windows that popped up and took focus away from whatever you were doing, even dropping you out of some full screen games.

Before that, I used AVG. I don't remember which version, but when they pushed out a new version, it turned it into a resource hogging piece of shit. I think a lot of people jumped AVG's ship then. So who does that leave? If you try the free Comodo AV, let us know how it is.

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 17:37 Asmo

It's weird, I've been using it for ages and literally never had a problem since moving to it (used to use the corporate version we had of McAfee which we were licensed for home for, but it was kludgy as hell).

Guess it's time to look for a new product..

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 14:44 Creston

Yeah, I've depended on it for a few years and to be fair, it's kept my system clean, but it's really starting to become worrisomely bad in tests.

Think I'll go with Comodo. Anyone have any experience with Comodo?

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 7, 2013, 09:32 Verno

Security Essentials sucks this year, it got thoroughly owned by ZeroAccess and its subsequent variants. Nothing like repairing broken MSE installs, shit is mind numbing. I've gone back to telling people to get Nod32 or at least install Malwarebytes Pro on top of MSE.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo