Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2013, 10:09 Quboid

Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 08:59:
Windows 8 being over $100 makes it a much less reasonable upgrade proposition for the Windows 7 user.

I was careful to use the phrase "if you need to buy Windows" for this reason. While I recommend buying Win 8 over Win 7, I definitely would not recommend upgrading Windows 7 to 8. Even if it was free, it wouldn't be worth the hassle unless you had other reasons to reinstall.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2013, 08:59 Verno

NKD wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 17:50:
But Windows 8 has so many cool little tweaks all over the place and internal improvements, I couldn't really go back to 7.

I don't know, I can certainly live without the new task manager and file copy dialog considering better third party equivalents have existed for eons. There aren't really a ton of other improvements that people will notice day to day IMHO.

Windows 8 being over $100 makes it a much less reasonable upgrade proposition for the Windows 7 user.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2013, 20:10 edaciousx

You guys keep blaming the marketing team like they produced the product. Most likely the designers designed a piece of shit, programmers programmed that shit to stink, and marketers were left to make that shit smell good.  

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2013, 17:50 NKD

I've been using Windows 8 for a long time now and I don't really have any complaints. I stopped using the start menu in my workflow years ago, so maybe I'm not the ideal person to be judging, though.

But Windows 8 has so many cool little tweaks all over the place and internal improvements, I couldn't really go back to 7.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2013, 11:30 Quboid

With Stardock's Start8 (start menu) and ModernMix (forces all Metro apps into normal windows) for about $10 combined, IMHO Windows 8 is better and cheaper than Windows 7.

If you need to buy Windows, the only reason not to get Windows 8 is to vote with your wallet - it is messed up that anything is needed even if they are free (and I believe there are good free alternatives). It's not much of a message, especially as you're paying more (last time I checked) to the same people, but for some people it's the principal.

- Quboid

10. Re: Dell declares the PC 'undead,' Windows 8.1 starts to shine. Oct 5, 2013, 21:10 DangerDog

Darks wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 17:31:
Sorry DangerDog, but why should I or anyone for that matter have to install a third party app to make Windows perform and act like windows? We shouldn't!

The simple fact is, M$ keep screwing over the PC and continues to not listen to the concerns of the consumer. This is what is getting them in to trouble and why many are so opposed to using Windows 8.

Its never going on my pc as long as its in the shitty state its in now.

There are some enhancements to the desktop that are nice, should those have just been patched into Windows 7? Perhaps, all I'm saying is that if you want to you can turn Windows 8 into a serviceable desktop operating system and de-metro it.

People are getting upset over the wrong issue, the outrage should be aimed at Microsoft wanting to become a gate-keeper for programs you install on the Metro / Modern UI app side. I wouldn't object to it as much if you could acquire and install them from other sources, they can keep the MS Store but open it up to other sources.

This is the real crux of the issue that Gabe has with it, if he could sell Modern UI apps on Steam I really doubt he would be striking out with the Steam Console PC.

9. Re: Dell declares the PC 'undead,' Windows 8.1 starts to shine. Oct 5, 2013, 20:54 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 17:31:
but why should I or anyone for that matter have to install a third party app to make Windows perform and act like windows? We shouldn't!

I agree they are stupid for not giving at least the option. But at the sametime... you can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink it, comes to mind. Once you patch that, <30 seconds. It could actually be better than Win7 at that time. As it acts like Win7, but then with some fixes/enhancements. No doubt their marketing team can't get out of it's own way and they probably lick each other vaginas thinking their clever with what they come up with.

8. Re: Dell declares the PC 'undead,' Windows 8.1 starts to shine. Oct 5, 2013, 17:31 Darks

DangerDog wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 15:36:
LittleMe wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 13:20:
So Windows 8.1 now comes with folks a bit more used to the new interface and it has improvements that address many of the things which really irritated a lot of users.

Not according to what I'm reading, Mr. Shill. I'm reading that 8.1 regresses more than it improves and that MS still isn't listening to the consumer, but is instead forcing a dumbed-down UI that we don't want on our PC's.

It does let you boot right to the desktop but they also have done some things that don't make any sense like removing scheduling from Windows Backup - at least that's what I read from the preview version of 8.1

If you install StartIsBack you can turn off annoying charm pop-up locations like upper right corner, but you'll still need to reassign your favorite programs to open files or you'll click on an image and end up in "Metro" for example. It doesn't take that much to turn it into Windows 7.5 and ignore all the junk Microsoft added including the start screen.

Sorry DangerDog, but why should I or anyone for that matter have to install a third party app to make Windows perform and act like windows? We shouldn't!

The simple fact is, M$ keep screwing over the PC and continues to not listen to the concerns of the consumer. This is what is getting them in to trouble and why many are so opposed to using Windows 8.

Its never going on my pc as long as its in the shitty state its in now.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

7. Re: Dell declares the PC 'undead,' Windows 8.1 starts to shine. Oct 5, 2013, 16:10 HorrorScope

MS still isn't listening to the consumer, but is instead forcing a dumbed-down UI that we don't want on our PC's.

Marketing these days is quite the complex beast. Give them what they don't want. Support them with no support. The best of times my friend.

6. Re: Dell declares the PC 'undead,' Windows 8.1 starts to shine. Oct 5, 2013, 15:49 Blahman

DangerDog wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 15:36:
It doesn't take that much to turn it into Windows 7.5 and ignore all the junk Microsoft added including the start screen.

Agreed, all you have to do is not buy Windows 8.

5. Re: Dell declares the PC 'undead,' Windows 8.1 starts to shine. Oct 5, 2013, 15:36 DangerDog

So Windows 8.1 now comes with folks a bit more used to the new interface and it has improvements that address many of the things which really irritated a lot of users.

Not according to what I'm reading, Mr. Shill. I'm reading that 8.1 regresses more than it improves and that MS still isn't listening to the consumer, but is instead forcing a dumbed-down UI that we don't want on our PC's.

It does let you boot right to the desktop but they also have done some things that don't make any sense like removing scheduling from Windows Backup - at least that's what I read from the preview version of 8.1

If you install StartIsBack you can turn off annoying charm pop-up locations like upper right corner, but you'll still need to reassign your favorite programs to open files or you'll click on an image and end up in "Metro" for example. It doesn't take that much to turn it into Windows 7.5 and ignore all the junk Microsoft added including the start screen.

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2013, 15:28 Julio

That looks like a 'paid for by the manufacturer' type article. Should be called 'Windows 8.1 starts to stink like roadkill in the hot sun'  

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2013, 15:27 DangerDog

The only way you can bring Windows 8 to the masses is pre-install StartIsBack onto every system. Nobody on a desktop PC wants to use "Metro" apps, unless of course you're a moron like the guy who wrote that article - not having a "Metro" version of office is only a dumb move for the tablets that MS is trying to push, especially the RT one.

It's just too jarring of a user experience to go from a desktop app to a "Metro" one with no clear indications of how to get back to the desktop.

8.1 brings a start button back but that just takes you to the "Metro" start screen, Microsoft is just too desperate to kill the desktop and herd people over to their walled garden of an app store.

2. Dell declares the PC 'undead,' Windows 8.1 starts to shine. Oct 5, 2013, 13:20 LittleMe

Perpetual debt is slavery.

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2013, 12:26 Narf2029

If manufacturers stop making laptops and PCs with Windows 7 on them, Windows 8-equipped products have to "shine" by default.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo