Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's been kind of a stressful week here at the BlueTower, as we have two geriatric relatives who are ailing: My step-grandmother, who is very much a real grandmother to me, is in the ICU with complications following heart surgery (as if heart surgery on a patient who is 90-something could be uncomplicated to start with). And Hudson the wonder dog has been mostly off her food for a week after a bout of vomiting and diarrhea we believe was caused by a round of antibiotics for a skin infection, and it doesn't take much of a hunger strike to make a skinny 13-year-old purebred dog seem to waste away. My tendency to internalize this kind of stress has now bitten me in the back, if not the backside, as I am now suffering with a backache, which is not only the first I can recall in over 10 years, but also by far the worst I've ever experienced. The good news is that both patients seem to be doing better: The doctors say our grandma is on the right track after a few setbacks, and after being taken off the pills, Hudsy is slowly starting to get her appetite back. It was only after things started looking up that my back attacked me, so I may manage to still be ailing as everyone else is recovering, which is fine by me, as it would mean that everyone else is recovering.

Stressed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Magic Layers.
TT Racer.
Links: Hi reddit, Tom Hanks here. Ask Me Anything.
Stories: Car Fire a Test for High-Flying Tesla. Since gas cars are non-flammable.
Fox Renews The Simpsons for Season 26.
Media: BREAKING BAD Walter White Speaks - My Way.
Driving on a floating bridge. Thanks the Flying Penguin.
Voodoo Lounging. Jaguar love. Thanks reddit.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 17:41 jdreyer

Acleacius wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 17:28:
Avoid tylenol.

For muscle pain/RSIs, rest, ice, and ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is much better for muscle pain than Tylenol since it is both pain killer and anti-inflammatory.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 17:28 Acleacius

Hoping for a swift and painless recovery for all.

I've heard offering a dog something they are not used to eating can work, if not just to peek their curiosity. You could try something like boiled chicken and rice, if his normal diet is more based on red meats. Low sodium, if any at all, not to mention Chicken soup and sleep is probably good for back strains. Avoid tylenol.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 17:00 Creston

Redmask is correct in saying that what you have isn't carpal tunnel, but rather RSI. (In essence, Carpal Tunnel is just RSI in that one precise area. But you can get the inflamation just about anywhere.)

I'll put in a few extra warnings about RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury):

1) It can become CHRONIC. What you're doing is injuring the nerve, and if you keep doing it over and over again without letting it recover, it will eventually lead to nerve damage. Nerves don't regenerate, so then you're stuck with a lifetime of pain.

2) Strengthening the muscle definitely works, but be very careful about "just bulling through." I realize that for people in IT, you don't have the option to rest, but often when you strengthen the muscle and bull through, the inflamation is still there.

I would very much advise you to go see one of these guys. They treat the affected muscle and nerve tissue and they are extremely effective in treating this type of injury.

I personally have semi/almost chronic RSI. I can keep it under control with treatment and good strengthening excercises, but it always returns every 6 to 8 months or so. I'll go see an active release provider in Tulsa (by name of Brian Flournoy, he's on that website too) and 4 to 6 treatments later the issue is just gone again for awhile.

He also treated my constant neck pain (yay IT!), the tear in my Achilles tendons, an thumb injury from volleyball, and shit, I just take basically everything to him now. My regular doctor just goes "HUUURRR LET IT REST HUURRRR" and he just treats it and gets it fixed.

I've sent several of my colleagues to him as well, and he's fixed all their injuries, including one colleague who kept saying that his back injury was chronic and couldn't be fixed, because three different chiropractors had told him so. 8 treatments and he was done.

I really recommend seeing one of these guys if you have any kind of nerve / muscle pains.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 16:58 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 16:34:
A sitting/standing desk is also a good investment, it forces you into different positions. I built myself a cheap one with a hand crank, I sit half the day at work and stand for the rest. It looks goofy but I have no pain anymore so fuck what other people think.

Great comment RM.

BTW, for about a year I've been thinking of building a handcrank desk so I can do half sitting, half standing work days. Can you post some pics online and post a link? I'm curious about your design.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 16:34 Redmask

DangerDog wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 16:02:
Speaking of pain, starting to get carpel tunnel in my left hand.

It's just the repetition, the force from the keyboard doesn't matter. This is long and if you already are aware of this stuff then I apologize but I figured since many of us are getting older it might be helpful to someone, it sure was for me.

You probably don't have carpal tunnel, most people just have RSI related muscle inflammation. Some muscles will be severely overworked while others weaken from the constant repetition. The most ergonomic setup in the universe won't help you from overusing your body and any qualified occupational physiotherapist will tell you to take breaks before recommending fancy gadgets and whatnot. The computing world is full of bullshit about ergonomics and crap when the reality is that expensive things will not fix the problem. I had to cut my gaming sessions shorter because I work with a computer all day and start lifting weights. A lot of people buy trackballs and other nonsense but that will just give you a different problem later on if the underlying habits stay the same.

For many people the thing that leads to the RSI is part of their job so they can't really 'rest' it for a month to recover. In that case you just have to bull through by strengthening the weaker and underused muscles and trying to back off the overused ones by not focusing on them in the same workouts.

For some immediate relief go pick up a pair of 10 pound dumbbells. Exercise 1 - sit, rest arm on leg with weight held loosely in hand. Slowly curl just the wrist without gripping the weight. Exercise 2 - Stand up, raise dumbbells to shoulder level while held loosely in hand, raise above your head, lower and repeat. 3 - hands at sides with weights held loosely, lift arms in front of you and touch weights together, lower and repeat. 4 - Stand up, do bicep curls with the weights held loosely. The key with all of those is to hold the weight as loosely as possible without dropping it, if you white knuckle it then you are probably overcompensating with the same tired muscles that are inflamed and causing you grief. Do that every other day 3 times a week and if you don't feel any relief then you really need to see a professional to refer you to a hospital for an EMG and nerve response test.

A sitting/standing desk is also a good investment, it forces you into different positions. I built myself a cheap one with a hand crank, I sit half the day at work and stand for the rest. It looks goofy but I have no pain anymore so fuck what other people think.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2013, 16:40.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 16:02 DangerDog

Speaking of pain, starting to get carpel tunnel in my left hand. Too many years of WASD gaming. I know ergonomically speaking the traditional keyboard isn't the best thing to be using but all of those "gaming" keypads seem more like a gimmick than a solution. The Razer Orbweaver looks interesting but at the same time doesn't look all that ergonomic or comfortable.

All of these people going ga-ga over mechanical keyboards are going to have regrets about using a hard-to-press switch years down the road. I know some of the switches are more about the "click" sound but some require more force to press.

11. Re: Steam Oct 5, 2013, 15:53 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 15:45:
Post this on the Steam forums. I bet you'll get a good answer.

I did, but nobody had any idea, apparently.

Oh well, guess I'll be redownloading 300 odd games. Sigh. Thanks Valve.

Edit: Actually found a solution while fucking around. Just starting the game from the exe in the backed up folder will either just run it, or install it into Steam.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2013, 17:19.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 15:48 jdreyer

I get stress-related backaches from acid stomach. Not sure why the stomach upset manifests in back pain, but try taking two Tums, and a Pepcid (famotidine) acid blocker and see if that helps.  

9. Re: Steam Oct 5, 2013, 15:45 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 15:09:
Does anyone know if something changed in the way Steam handles game downloads?

I have an external drive with about 90% of my Steam games backed up to it as this saves me from having to spend 3 days downloading a game when I want to play it.

It used to be that if I wanted to play a game I had backed up, I'd start the download on Steam, pause it after a few moments, copy the game-in-question's folder from my external drive directly to steam\steamapps\common, then tell Steam to resume downloading. It would quickly shoot up to 100% in a few minutes, and I'd be ready to play.

Lately, however, this no longer seems to work. I'll put the full game's folder in the same location, but Steam just continues downloading and totally ignores the fact that the entire game is already there...

I'm assuming something changed in the way Steam now downloads games, but is there a way for me to continue using my backed up library, or am I just screwed and do I have to redownload the entire thing and turn them into official Steam backups with the "Backup and Restore" feature?

Anyone know? Thanks in advance for any help!

Post this on the Steam forums. I bet you'll get a good answer.

8. Re: Steam Oct 5, 2013, 15:12 El Pit

Creston wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 15:09:
"Backup and Restore" feature?

Sorry, Creston, can't help you with your problem. I'm using that "Backup and Restore" feature and have all the Steam games I downloaded on a 3 TB disk. I know that won't help you, but you better use the build-in backup feature in the future.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 15:09 El Pit

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 13:16:
Edit: I think this justifies you getting a steam or sauna room installed at the house. I'm sure Mrs. Blue would totally concur.

A Steam room for all of us!

6. Steam Oct 5, 2013, 15:09 Creston

Does anyone know if something changed in the way Steam handles game downloads?

I have an external drive with about 90% of my Steam games backed up to it as this saves me from having to spend 3 days downloading a game when I want to play it.

It used to be that if I wanted to play a game I had backed up, I'd start the download on Steam, pause it after a few moments, copy the game-in-question's folder from my external drive directly to steam\steamapps\common, then tell Steam to resume downloading. It would quickly shoot up to 100% in a few minutes, and I'd be ready to play.

Lately, however, this no longer seems to work. I'll put the full game's folder in the same location, but Steam just continues downloading and totally ignores the fact that the entire game is already there...

I'm assuming something changed in the way Steam now downloads games, but is there a way for me to continue using my backed up library, or am I just screwed and do I have to redownload the entire thing and turn them into official Steam backups with the "Backup and Restore" feature?

Anyone know? Thanks in advance for any help!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 14:35 ForgedReality

Whoa that Tesla caught fire literally five minutes from me, and I didn't friggin hear about it? O.O  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 13:21 xXBatmanXx

Thinking about you and yours Blue.
I feel your pain (literally) slipped discs at a young age and have grown will daily back pain.....lots of rest and good luck. Mine bites me in the ass when I am run down and stressed (might be your situation).

/I know I can feel mine starting to give me issues.....8? hours of sleep in 3 days....but worth it.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2013, 13:48.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 13:16 Cutter

Yeah getting older sucks sometimes. Everyone and everything seems to be kicking off or fading away. And yeah, stretching and exercise do get more important as we get older and it's a great way to fight stress and depression. I prefer rowing on a Concept 2 rower. No better combined strength and cardio than rowing. Throw on a good workout mix - Eye of the Tiger, etc. have a good schvitz and you're golden.

Edit: I think this justifies you getting a steam or sauna room installed at the house. I'm sure Mrs. Blue would totally concur.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 13:13 Agent.X7

Yeah, finally got my Shadowrun swag! And BF4 started working on my desktop!

Sorry to hear about your back, Blue. Back stuff sucks. I have been in physical therapy more times than I can count now for my back.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2013, 12:58 El Pit

Best of luck to your step-grandmother, and I hope Hudson will be hunting chipmunks soon again. About your back: that's typical of us computer people, right? Take some meds and get moving, just don't sit or lie down. Walking and jogging will help you. You'll be fine soon, Blue.  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo