Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Hardware Prototype Details

The Steam Community website has more details on plans for Steam hardware and the prototypes they plan on shipping to testers. Here's a bit on the update from the Steam hardware bunker:

So for our own first prototype Steam Machine ( the one we're shipping to 300 Steam users ), we've chosen to build something special. The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts. It is also fully upgradable, allowing any user to swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, even the motherboard if you really want to. Apart from the custom enclosure, anyone can go and build exactly the same machine by shopping for components and assembling it themselves. And we expect that at least a few people will do just that. (We'll also share the source CAD files for our enclosure, in case people want to replicate it as well.)

And to be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users. It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase - those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package. Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions.

Here are the specifications for Valve's 300 prototypes.

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components: GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660 CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3 RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU) Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

As a hardware platform, the Steam ecosystem will change over time, so any upgrades will be at each user's discretion. In the future we'll talk about how Steam will help customers understand the differences between machines, hardware strengths and weaknesses, and upgrade decisions.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 23:58 Lit_Reflex001

I am extremely happy that there will be REAL GPU's in this thing. Rather than the fucking garbage Microsoft and Sony think constitutes "next-gen".

The problem? Linux. I don't think Valve would appreciate you doing your beta testing on a different OS.

That is why you would get one, you know. It's not your machine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 22:56 Redmask

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 19:05:
They are going to lose so much money...

I don't know why you think this, they aren't really manufacturing much, they did a few partnerships and some original design on the controller. They are also starting small on purpose instead of going too big too fast which is the biggest mistake companies make in manufacturing.

24. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 22:53 btallas

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 19:05:

Why? Because of the psfail and the xbox 180? I personally like valve's chances in regards to those systems.

23. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 21:57 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 20:50:
Anyone know of anyone who is getting one of the 300? I would imgaine we have a pretty big swatch of people we know across the technology/gaming world, some here know those "in the biz", etc.

I would assume they hand delivered one to Prez!

"Mr. Newell, it appears one of the candidates owns the entire steam library."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 21:55 jacobvandy

They've not chosen the 300 yet... There's still three more weeks until the entries are closed, so it'll be a while longer still after that.

Currently about 286k in the pool of candidates, and if what they claim holds true, only 30 will be influenced by Valve decision. And even then, it has to do with your contributions to the Steam community and previous beta participation, not merely "being in the biz."

21. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 20:50 xXBatmanXx

Anyone know of anyone who is getting one of the 300? I would imgaine we have a pretty big swatch of people we know across the technology/gaming world, some here know those "in the biz", etc.

I would assume they hand delivered one to Prez!

I better call Valve tomorrow, I didn't receive and e-mail with a tracking number or a phone call to when it will be arriving. heh.

And we expect that at least a few people will do just that. (We'll also share the source CAD files for our enclosure, in case people want to replicate it as well.)
Impressive and bravo.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 20:28 HorrorScope

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 20:20:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 19:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 16:58:
Anyhow, they never promised a console... At best, they're just trying to make buying into PC gaming easier to understand.

10 years too late, it's pretty simple other than you need a fair GPU and not the Intel 4000.

Read the notice, decent nvidia gpus. If you can't read you need to return to school.

Personally I like the specs, I was thinking of making a similar machine for the TV. Go Steam

Not sure what you mean. My point is gaming on the PC has been easy since Win 7 came in ultra stable, not being attacked left and right.

As for someone above. I'm all for a Piston box to, lets see what kind of power one of those things can really have.

19. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 20:20 Ozmodan

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 19:05:
Anyhow, they never promised a console... At best, they're just trying to make buying into PC gaming easier to understand.

10 years too late, it's pretty simple other than you need a fair GPU and not the Intel 4000.

Read the notice, decent nvidia gpus. If you can't read you need to return to school.

Personally I like the specs, I was thinking of making a similar machine for the TV. Go Steam

18. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 20:10 ochentay4

Why all the negative comments. If you are happy whith what you have, then why complain? I would love to have a really small but powerfull like Piston under my TV with a Valve gamepad. +1 for Valve. I really love all efforts they make for PC gaming.  

17. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 19:38 siapnar

I think there's more here than initially perceived. I can't imagine Valve making such a big deal out of something that many gamers are currently calling redundant.

At least I hope that Steambox/OS are more useful to PC gaming enthusiasts than their portrayal right now.

I have projectile dysfunction.

16. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 19:05 dj LiTh

15. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 19:05 HorrorScope

14. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 18:36 Agent.X7

MDB wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 16:32:
Who exactly is the target demographic for this? No way it'll be priced within the console range.

The Alienware crowd maybe?

Don't look at me, I have Alienwares that already play well with STEAM. Why would I buy a STEAM OS PC that can't run my other programs as well?

The controller? Maybe. Looks cool.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 17:47 MajorD

Who exactly is the target demographic for this? No way it'll be priced within the console range.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. My guess is they'll have a target price out the gate based on projected volumes (high), which will be very attractive in comparison to comparable PCs on the market and/or a hobby-build, in addition to next gen Consoles. I'm sure they've done plenty of their homework to achieve this.

12. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 17:41 Beelzebud

Right now Valve is putting significant resources in SDL, Pulse Audio, and have lit a fire under nvidia and AMD's collective asses.

You may not have a reason to switch today, but I don't think Valve is doing this as a short-term strategy.

11. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 17:25 WaltC

There was never a console in the works. A "Steambox" can be any x86 PC built from any assortment of components right off the shelf. "SteamOS" is Ubuntu 12.03+ with some kind of Valve-themed UI. The Linux game software supported is the very same Linux game software supported presently by Steam. Hardware for SteamOS will be limited to whatever Ubuntu 12.03+ hardware drivers Valve can dig up.

Bottom line: business as usual for Valve. The rest of it is PR window dressing. There really is nothing to see here.

If someone is determined to run SteamOS at all, best scenario is as a Windows box with dual-boot capability to boot SteamOS when desired. At the moment Valve has provided no clarity as to why someone would run SteamOS rather than Windows, probably because there is really no case Gabe can make for doing that...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

10. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 17:00 Dagnamit

No way, it's the NEO-GEO demo. (of this age)

9. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 16:59 jdreyer

nin wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 15:49:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660

Nice!

I could see a 780, but a Titan? Really?

Maybe I'm off base, but I wonder what % of machines that boutique builders ship have Titans installed.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 16:58 jacobvandy

12 x 12.4 x 2.9 inches? That's gotta be a typo, lol. Ain't no Titan gonna fit in there!

Anyhow, they never promised a console... At best, they're just trying to make buying into PC gaming easier to understand. I.e. if you have any clue what those parts are and what they mean, you aren't the target audience. I could see them putting a simple rating system on the front of the box, like 1-5 or A-F, which will correspond to a group of games on Steam that it will run well on it. Yes, that would mean putting a big fat rating symbol on every store product page.

7. Re: Steam Hardware Prototype Details Oct 4, 2013, 16:50 Cutter

If Valve wanted to go into mass-production they could do a way better price point than Alienware. Alienware doesn't even try to do volume at a lower price point. That's not their bag, baby.

Still, I have zero interest in this.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo