Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 4 Beta Opens

The Battlefield 4 Website announces the Battlefield 4 beta is now open to all who are interested in checking out the next iteration of DICE's military shooter series. Here's the beta overview video, and the instructions for PC users are pretty simple, as the beta is now available through the Origin client. Word is: "If you’ve been logged in to Origin for a few days, you may want to hit the "Reload" button in the upper left-hand corner to refresh your game library." Here are the system requirements:

Minimum system requirements for the Beta
OS
The BF4 Beta requires a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 (the full version of Battlefield 4 will also support 32-bit operating systems.)
PROCESSOR
AMD ATHLON X2 2.8 GHZ
INTEL CORE 2 DUO 2.4 GHZ
MEMORY
4 GB
GRAPHICS CARD
AMD RADEON HD 3870
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT
GRAPHICS MEMORY
512 MB
HARD DRIVE
1,6 GB (approx.)

Recommended system requirements for the Beta

OS
The BF4 Beta requires a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 (the full version of Battlefield 4 will also support 32-bit operating systems.)
PROCESSOR
AMD SIX-CORE CPU
INTEL QUAD-CORE CPU
MEMORY
8 GB
GRAPHICS CARD
AMD RADEON HD 7870
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660
GRAPHICS MEMORY
3 GB
HARD DRIVE
1,6 GB (approx.)

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 15:11 scratz

I burned out on military shooters years ago.

But this looks really good. Count me in.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 14:57 SpectralMeat

Loopy wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 14:45:
Is the infamous "blue filter" from BF3 present in this beta? It's kind of hard for me to tell from the video.
No it isn't. If you watch the TB video I posted earlier in this thread he specifically mention this

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 14:45 Loopy

Is the infamous "blue filter" from BF3 present in this beta? It's kind of hard for me to tell from the video.  

23. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 14:19 DangerDog

to see your fps in game you can either enter this command in the console (press ~) or create a user.cfg text file in your Battlefield 4 beta folder.

perfoverlay.drawfps 1

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/09/this-is-the-bf4-beta/

The beta version of the game is actually older than the version we are currently working on at the DICE office, since the beta had to be submitted for testing and certification before it can go live.

older, most likely not optimized but functional version. I wouldn't expect any patches to roll out.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2013, 14:32.

22. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 13:36 SpectralMeat

I think TB mentioned in his video to use the latest beta drivers if you have Nvidia cards (he is running 2X Titans in SLI)
Otherwise I think the game is more optimized for AMD cards.

21. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 13:31 Sneakycamper

OK i did get in but had soo bad framerates i got less them 9 fps on low settings with my rig amd quadcore 3.2 8 gigs ddr3 ram nvidia gt650 1 gig video card and windows 7 64 sp2 this at 1980 X 1080 low settings ! God it was a joke playing it or trying to play it ! I do know they need to have at least 1-2 patches in the following month after it is released !  

20. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 13:29 Flak

BF3 performance: 60 FPS minium, average 65-70

BF4 Beta performance: 30 FPS maximum, average 15-20

I know it's a beta and all, but I hope they optimize it. I haven't pre-ordered this game unlike BF3, but if they can't get it running better on current hardware, I'll be forced to not play this game until I upgrade (2014 at the earliest). Sucks because I was impressed by how well BF3 ran on my older hardware.

As for the game itself, the are a lot of welcome changes (surprisingly too many to list here...and this coming from a big Battlefield skeptic), but it feels like it's too little too late. If they had taken the extra time to make BF3 like BF4 is, it would have been one of the top games of the year, instead we get it 2+ years later and it feels more like BF3.1 (cliche but true).

19. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 13:22 Wildone

I'll pass, and bcus I said 'I'll pass' EA will bankrupt as they failed to impress I, the uber gamer. Too bad EA, too bad!  

18. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 13:04 Sneakycamper

Ok still trying and i starting to really think this is For ONLY Paid
Premium members who preordered it and have the chance to play it. No one has sent or checked for Open to anyone Beta access Public ? On the BF4 beta site the forums all say Preminum Members only on people posting it !

17. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Played a little bit of the beta (BF3 premium), so far the tanks seem weaker than in BF3, purely because of a new 'clip' system. I assume it's to slow down dominant tank players, just shooting the shit out of everything, but it is a real aggravation as currently implemented. Your tank(at least with default perks) has 1 shell in the chamber, so to speak, and a clip of 4 more shells. After you fire off those shells, the reload time is EXTREMELY long... ridiculous, from a tanker's prospective. The choppers surely don't seem to have anything similar.

Aside from the numerous bugs, I noticed that Tank main gun seems to no longer be 1-shot kill on helicopters. I hit a few helos, and while the helicopters were disabled, they were able to fly away, or eventually crash, depending on the pilot. It's a nerf from BF3. Add that in with the clip mechanic, and tanks got a huge nerf overall. Tanks also seem to take a hell of a lot more damage from RPGs, but I haven't played enough to really know for sure. Both the Chinese and US tank seem to have inherited the "Spin out of control while sprinting" feature from the BF3 T90.

Tanks do seem to have more weight though, as far as driving right through most buildings/obstacles without even slowing down. That has the potential for some better dodging/flanking gameplay at least.

Infantry combat seems pretty much the same as BF3, aside from the new Mirror's Edge-ish jumping over some obstacles. I spent only a little time running around on foot, and had no trouble mowing people down with the default beta guns. The weapon selection for classes seems to be a lot different, I'm missing my favorite Engineer guns so far, but they may be unlocks later. Hopefully there isn't some paywall between me and the G36C/SG553, and the rest of the less popular weapons.

Particular bugs I experienced: Got killed, and as I was about to respawn, clicked on various areas of the map: result: Show up dead, unable to move, outside of the map. However you are standing up in 1st person view, able to view your weapon. Only fix was to disconnect/reconnect.

Seems to be a bug as far as addressing what weapon you killed somebody with also, sometimes it would show up as my tank, sometime as a Machine gun(from inside the tank still), mostly on the Chinese tank. Did not happen on the US tank as far as I could see.

16. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:47 Redmask

Plays like BF 3.5, some UI and misc gameplay improvements but also some balance regression. It was ok but nothing special outside of the visuals, gameplay was samey. The sole map you get to play isn't a good show case of anything except deformation. I think I'll skip this and wait for BF5.  

15. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:46 SpectralMeat

LOL!  

14. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:42 Agent.X7

Xero wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 12:35:
Anyone else get an error when trying to launch the beta saying, you don't have access yet?

Prepare for massive bugs. I've been in since day 1 because I have BF3 premium. My work laptop logs in and plays no problems. My desktop at home won't even launch BF4, I get stuck at the blue ribbon.

Also awesome, my squad launched a boat onto a rooftop and were sniping with mini-guns yesterday. How did that boat get on one of the tallest buildings on the map? No clue. We were sailing it around the harbor and hit something and WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! We thought we were going to die, but no, we landed on a rooftop and lived.

Tanks hitting the road barricades tend to fly higher than choppers too.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

13. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:35 Xero

Anyone else get an error when trying to launch the beta saying, you don't have access yet?  

Currently playing: Skyrim

12. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:33 Agent.X7

InBlack wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 10:25:
fawker wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 10:23:
lol at anyone who paid for the exclusive

Yeah. +1

LOL at ignorant people.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:32 Xero

I know I can't run this that good because even BF3 lags on my Intel QuadCore 560ti. But we'll see if it's worth a PC upgrade in the future...  

Currently playing: Skyrim

10. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:28 SpectralMeat

MajorD wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 12:03:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 11:07:
MajorD wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 10:34:
Thinking2 How's it compare to BF3, is it worth the DL and the test drive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amfn-4tDDoo

Thanks man. I forgot about TB.

I don't know, It looks like BF3 with 'some' enhancements/improvements, and probably isn't enough for me to jump on it. The jury is still out, but with the way they have the whole money grab calculated with the DLC via the 'Digital Deluxe Package' and 'Premium Subscription' and all their other cunning marketing ploys, that may be enough to make me pass on it.

He seemed to be impressed with it.
I think the biggest selling point for this game will be the maps for MP. Like he said the base maps for BF3 were pretty bad with choke points that just became a slaughter fest for infantry. This map for BF4 however seems to fix that problem with many different pathways to the same objectives, so hopefully the new maps will be much better then the BF3 ones were.
Other then that it is just minor improvements to the game.

I think if you buy the full game (base game plus subscription ~$100) you are not going to miss out on anything as far as DLC goes.
If you put enough hours into it it may worth it for you on the long run.

I haven't had a chance to play the beta yet and I do not have the game ordered so the jury is still out on it for me. I might get it.

9. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:22 Quboid

Sneakycamper wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 11:31:
Hey everyone there is little help on the people who haven't BOUGHT or have PreOrdered this game and just went to the site and downloaded it and got stuck at the screen saying to enter your Product Key ? I've been
all over this OPEN to the public searching for anyone or anything saying
"Free" ? no purchase needed ? Anyone know if there is Open to the Public
Non-payment would help !

I could download it no problem, with no pre-order of any kind. I have BF3 but I don't think it's the fancy edition with BF4 beta access and I couldn't access the beta before getting up this morning. If Origin has been running since before the beta became publicly available, try restarting it.

- Quboid

8. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:05 Creston

Pretty beefy specs.  

7. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:03 MajorD

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 11:07:
MajorD wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 10:34:
Thinking2 How's it compare to BF3, is it worth the DL and the test drive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amfn-4tDDoo

Thanks man. I forgot about TB.

I don't know, It looks like BF3 with 'some' enhancements/improvements, and probably isn't enough for me to jump on it. The jury is still out, but with the way they have the whole money grab calculated with the DLC via the 'Digital Deluxe Package' and 'Premium Subscription' and all their other cunning marketing ploys, that may be enough to make me pass on it.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo