Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Daikatana on Steam

Daikatana is now available on Steam, offering the chance to check out the shooter and be The Romero's bitch for just $6.99 (though it's been cheaper: the game was free for a while years ago on GameTap). The sci-fi game featuring a magical sword and a pair of AI sidekicks was intended as the flagship title from ION Storm, an honor which turned out to be shared by Deus Ex and Anachronox, but the game seems to be in witness protection, as no developer is listed. Thanks nin.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 3, 2013, 17:12 Hump

The multiplayer was actually pretty fun IIRC  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2013, 09:29 Rigs

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 08:50:
I have an unopened copy of Daikatana, signed by Romero. Was thinking of seeing if it was worth anything to sell on ebay.

How about an un-opened copy of Big Rigs Over The Road Racing in trade?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

41. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 3, 2013, 08:50 HoSpanky

I have an unopened copy of Daikatana, signed by Romero. Was thinking of seeing if it was worth anything to sell on ebay.  

40. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 3, 2013, 03:12 OldTimber

Saw this yesterday on the whats new scroll of Steam and thought
1)Are you shitting me?
2)Seriously is someone just screwing around now on Steam?
3)6.99?
4)6.99 really?
5)Someone will buy it.
6)Nobody who works for Valve/Steam when this came up went "are we seriously putting this on our network for sale?
7) can't wait for the holiday sales where they push this as part of a package for cards and other ingame items.

39. Re: Agreed! Oct 2, 2013, 23:47 Fantaz

Jackplug wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 10:36:
why would anyone want to buy this heap of shit!

+1

38. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 21:11 MajorD

nin wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 13:17:
NegaDeath wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 13:13:
They could have this on a Steam sale for free and I STILL wouldn't click buy.

Steam xmas sale coming up - Gift Away!!!!!!

I think I'd like to play and enjoy Snuggle Truck much more.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2013, 19:58 nin

Rigs wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 19:33:
I always died reading the Something Awful review of the demo...even now, it's fuckin' hilarious...

I miss Old Man Murray...

"Erik is the fat, girl-looking boy. Chet likes Ministry and not much else."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

36. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 19:52 Gocows

I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!  

35. No subject Oct 2, 2013, 19:38 LibertyOrDeath

Game had a lot of potential, but the engine was dated and Romero's PR campaign backfired on him. In Daikatana, one can see that Romero wanted to take the FPS to new heights gameplay wise (the rpg elements,the skyscraper level, etc...). Carmack, on the other hand, wanted to make engines. Some believe Carmack won, but I believe gaming lost. After Romero left, ID games were lacking in the gameplay and imagination department. I would have loved to see where ID games would have gone if they stayed together.

Romero was and is a vital part of game development.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2013, 19:33 Rigs

I always died reading the Something Awful review of the demo...even now, it's fuckin' hilarious...

JOHN ROMERO: "Alright team, I've got a fabulous idea for a game! I've been listening to what the gamers want and are looking for, and I've got some killer thoughts! This will be the best game ever created!"
ION STORM TEAM: "HOORAY!!!"
JOHN ROMERO: "First of all, we'll need to make our own engine. A superb engine, featuring advanced effects like T&L, dynamic LOD, curved surfaces and-"
POD PEOPLE: "John xyblah grawh rawwwwr!" (translated: "John, you are our bitch now!")
JOHN ROMERO: (shot by evil Pod Peoples' ray gun) "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
ION STORM TEAM: "John, are you okay?"
JOHN ROMERO: (slowly getting up from the ground) "I LIKE BUGS AND FROGS."
ION STORM TEAM: "What?"
JOHN ROMERO: "'SUPERFLY JOHNSON' IS A GOOD NAME FOR A BLACK MAN."
ION STORM TEAM: "We quit."

Later...

ION STORM TEAM: "John, what should we do about health? Should we just stick with the traditional health kits?"
POD PEOPLE: (quietly chanting) "Lame healing fruit... lame healing fruit... lame healing fruit..."
JOHN ROMERO: "WE NEED LAME HEALING FRUIT."
KILLCREEK: "John, I'm really worried about the direction that this project is heading-"
POD PEOPLE: (shoots Killcreek with their Gamma Ray Gun)
KILLCREEK: "I HAVE BREASTS."
JOHN ROMERO: "WE NEED MORE FROGS."
ION STORM TEAM: "We quit."

Good shit...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

33. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 19:16 Cutter

Oh come on, Blue! That was funny man! They deserved that!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 19:09 [VG]Reagle

Dear John,
I’m writing this letter from Moscow, having just read your lovely post about me, which a good friend forwarded me and implored me to reply to. I really never thought I would relive the joy that was Ion Storm, circa 1997, or that the memories of those times still troubled you so 11 years later. Then again, I would guess you live in the memories of your twenties as much as you can, given the reality of your thirties. Glad to know I’m still in your thoughts.
I enjoyed your comments very much, but several of my friends (especially those that were around for those heady time to witness the truth of it up close) did not find it quite so funny, and thought that I should take the time to set a few things straight as publicly as the flame you chose to randomly launch my way.
While I am not at all interested in reliving those days, I will also not allow you to rewrite the history of it all, more to your liking and to my public detriment, and I will in no way take the rap for what you did (or didn’t do)with your dream company. So here are just a few reminders to jog your memory.
While my job title (which you gave me) was CEO of your company, I was one of two “junior partners” in a partnership of 6. I made about 1/3 of what the ‘big boy partners’ (as you liked to call yourselves back then) did and owned less than five percent of your company. I wasn’t awarded a 250k signing bonus like you were for signing up to your own startup and I didn’t have a personal assistant like you, nor occupy one of the 4 corners of power in the original Ion Storm building. And unlike you, I didn’t get to file a federal trademark for my own personal catch phrase,” Suck it Down.” I remind you of these things only to remind you that there was absolutely nothing done by me or Ion Storm, including the advertisements which bore your name and which you happily posed for, that didn’t require your full approval and grand signature.
And while I did think that famous Bitch ad was pretty funny, I’ll remind you that you signed that one too, and I’m fairly certain I wasn’t holding your hand or using a Jedi mind trick on you when you did it. I’ll also remind you that the whole reason for running the teaser ad was that we felt we should be starting to advertise the game since it you said was shipping so soon, for Christmas in 1997. Even though we had nothing but a logo and that signature promise to use for an ad 6 months before you promised Eidos and your partners that Daikatana would be ready to redefine shooters on shelves worldwide.
Our former employee also reminded me that I fought on a daily basis to try to save that company from the poison which you had invited into it (and watched spread like a cancer while you kept your head in the sand), only to find myself ushered out the door, since it was such a buzz kill to hear my incessant complaints about the way things were being run, which were really those of the 80 or so young fresh faced developers we hired in the 10 months I was there. But hey, it was clear that I was the problem there, as you guys really took off the year after I left. Or, more accurately, nearly every one of those 80 hires did.
I do owe you a thank you for that little shove to get me started on Gathering of Developers, a company that I was an actual partner of, and which Take Two ‘reigned in’ buy buying for 30 million dollars, two years after we opened an office, which resulted in no less than eight million unit selling PC games and over 350 million dollars in revenue for TTWO (my investors) during roughly the same amount of time that it took you and the remaining ‘big boy partners’ to shit away Eidos’ (your investors) 30 million and deliver one of the biggest heaps of dung ever put onto a CD Rom, just before being foreclosed on. Thank god for Warren Spector, who was also made a ‘junior partner’, and later delivered Eidos Storm’s only salvation in the form of Deus Ex.
And please don’t be too concerned for the independent developers I work with… just like with GodGames, and like the deal I struck for you with Eidos, Gamecock owns their IP and is branded above the publisher on everything, and has a great royalty rate. Royalty rates are what you make if you actually make a game that is good and sells. Remember Quake one?
I’m also grateful for your concern over my incessant partying, which has somehow led me to be married to the same beautiful woman for 17 years now, while raising two incredible daughters together. You should maybe try the partying, since your unparalleled work ethic and strong character has (just in the time I’ve known you) left only a bloody trail of ex-wives, fatherless kids, and ill advised breast implants strewn across this fair nation, even before you flew all the way to Romania for your latest wife. If she’s not still around, let me know, and I’ll see if I can pick another one up for you here in Russia.
Its been great catching up, but I’m off to dinner now with Harry Miller, my best friend and business partner for the past decade (ever had one of those, John?), and our very happy new investor, followed by some crazy partying to keep it real, just for you.
You take care now, and remember just because id, Eidos, and then Midway fired you doesn’t mean you’re not still awesome!
Suck it down,
Your pal Mike

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

31. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 17:13 BobBob

Free to students?  

30. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 16:34 peteham

Time to dig out this old classic:
http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/fpssurvivar/day4-03.htm

(Superfly joke @ day4-03 through -11)

Man, I'm posting nothing but links to webcomics today.

29. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 16:09 Caslon

As I recall, Romero had multimillion dollar luxurious office suites in some Texas highrise office building, living off the hype and legend he thought he was at the time. The game turned out to be a top 10 worst of all time and Romero vacated his cushy highrise office suites. Thus began his fall to obscurity. The outrageously expensive to develop garbage that Daikatana was started that decline.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 2013, 16:17.

28. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 15:40 Krovven

Single player sucked. Multiplayer was awesome.

27. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 15:15 ockky

Had this game been released with the second generation of shooters, it would have been deemed pretty decent. The fact that it showed up during the 3rd generation of shooters, after the likes of Half-Life, System Shock 2, and Unreal made this game a real stinker.

HL had a better story and gameplay.
SS2 had WAY better RPG elements and a better story.
Unreal had WAY better AI, gameplay, and even it's story was better.

All of these games were released at least a year before Daikatana, and the hype that all of these had prior to their releases could not have added up to nearly a quarter of the hype Romero way pumping.

The extreme amount of hype for this game, combined with the previous generation's gameplay/AI is what crushed this game

26. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 15:10 Marvin T. Martian

Had to check the calendar to see if I just awoke from a coma and it was April 1st, Not Oct.  

25. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 14:47 Vulkan

The first stage and last stages were absolutely dreadful, IIRC I never finished the game due to all the hitscan enemies in the last stage being able to hit you from miles away.

The Norse and Greek stages were both better than the other 2, though that's not saying a whole lot.

What they should have done, is done a remake of the GBC version of Daikatana, which was quite good.

24. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 14:44 Xenovore

That was the problem. If you want people to get stoked about your game, you lead out with something awesome; show something that will suck players in. Frogs and mosquitos ain't it.

I played the demo for like 5 minutes (if that), said "meh", and went back to Half-Life or whatever I was playing at the time that was actually fun.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo