Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 3 TMed

Ars Technica has the hopefully hopeful news that Valve has registered a European trademark for Half-Life 3 to cover "Computer game software; Electronic game software; Downloadable computer game software via a global computer network and wireless devices; Video game software." This could just be routine record-keeping, but it seems like Half-Life 3 might be the kind of thing that would give a nice boost to the launch of SteamOS. Just sayin'.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 23:54 Fantaz

also looking forward to Counter-Strike 2 and Left 4 Dead 3!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 11:46 peteham

Eating cake and playing with portals.
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130930

17. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 08:05 Xero

Bring on HL3 w/Source Engine 2! I still remember watching the technology demo of the Source engine on a real demo like sample of HL2 potentials using it and it was mind blowing. I showed a friend the video and he forever became a PC gamer after that, lol.  

Currently playing: Sanitarium, Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition, Shadow Warrior Classic Redux

16. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 06:18 netnerd85

Hoop wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 05:19:
Arithon wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 05:03:
We were promised "rapid episodic releases"

Where is your GABE now.
Eating cake and playing with portals.

15. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 05:19 Hoop

Arithon wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 05:03:

Where is your GABE now.

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 05:03 Arithon

Yes, that's all very well, but where is Half-Life 2: Episode 3?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

13. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 03:29 Wesp5

Overon wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 21:19:
I don't know where I read it, but someone suggested Valve charge full price for Half Life 3 on Windows Steam and release it for free on SteamOS. That would give SteamOS a big boost.

...or the other way around with people pirating it exactly because of that trick. Anyone remember Halo 2 and that it was only released for Windows Vista? I can't remember this giving Vista a big boost :)!

12. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 02:50 Hoop

Half life 3 is the olny thing that will draw me back into gaming.
period.
That or an urgent request to join the Victoria Secret girls in a naked lan party.

Um .. Behind you...

11. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 01:31 Prez

If it happens I'll take interest in it when it's released; until then Valve's development cycles are too sketchy to waste the energy caring.

Exactly how I feel. I've pretty much moved on from Half-Life but I can be convinced to care again if Valve releases a fantastic game.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 23:30 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 21:13:
I'm not hopeful about this. If it happens it happens, super. Otherwise forget it. Particularly if it's tied into needing their Steam OS and their gamepad or some such nonsense.
That won't happen. SteamOS is a free operating system and Steam Machines isn't a closed platform, so there is no money to be made tying it to either.

However, what we might see is HL3 given away for free or heavily discounted for people who buy Steam Machines and/or the Valve controller. Valve doesn't have any background in hardware so it would make sense to tie it to a valuable IP - giving it away for free with Steam Machines would tie people into the Steam platform, much like Amazon does with the Kindle Fire; giving it away or heavily discounting it with the Valve controller and adding exclusive features for it would get it into the homes of most serious Steam users.

I don't have any intention of buying a Steam Machine or using SteamOS but I would be interesting in picking up a Valve controller, especially if it is bundled with HL3.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 23:06 killerpony

Quick! Go camp the domain name "Half-Life 4"!  

8. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 22:54 Mad Max RW

Overon wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 21:19:
I don't know where I read it, but someone suggested Valve charge full price for Half Life 3 on Windows Steam and release it for free on SteamOS. That would give SteamOS a big boost.

This sounds like a fairly realistic expectation. Making it exclusive to SteamOS and requiring you buy their hardware is asinine and would guarantee a failure. Whoever worries about that hypothetical scenario is insane.

7. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 22:44 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 21:13:
I'm not hopeful about this. If it happens it happens, super. Otherwise forget it. Particularly if it's tied into needing their Steam OS and their gamepad or some such nonsense. And even if it does get announced in the next year this is Valve we're talking about. So you'll likely be waiting several more years after that to boot.
Agreed. If it happens I'll take interest in it when it's released; until then Valve's development cycles are too sketchy to waste the energy caring.

6. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 22:13 Fletch

Yeah, it'll probably be linked to SteamOS somehow, or maybe bundled with the controller or something. Hope it doesn't effect the regular PC version. Not holding my breath, though.  

5. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 21:19 Overon

4. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 21:13 Cutter

I'm not hopeful about this. If it happens it happens, super. Otherwise forget it. Particularly if it's tied into needing their Steam OS and their gamepad or some such nonsense. And even if it does get announced in the next year this is Valve we're talking about. So you'll likely be waiting several more years after that to boot.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 21:04 nin

I'm fully convinced there's a team at valve that throws out shit like this just to watch the internet scream...they all sit around high fiveing each other and laughing at us.

"Watch this!"
"AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 20:58 SirKnight

Maybe they were not sure they'd do a HL3?

Either way, I am super hopefull for a HL3. I love HL and will never get tired of it. I also can't wait for SteamOS and the various SteamBoxes. I <3's me some Linux!

1. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 20:53 jdreyer

What I don't understand is why this wasn't immediately TM'd after HL2?  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo