Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne

Vlambeer announces Nuclear Throne is the new title of their game formerly known as Wasteland Kings, an apparently amicable outcome to being informed by InXile Entertainment that this might cause confusion with the Wasteland series (thanks VG247). Here's part of the civilized explanation:

After announcing the game for PC, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita during Sony’s press conference at gamescom, we were contacted by a Dutch employee of InXile Entertainment, the studio behind 1988 title Wasteland and the recent Kickstarter for Wasteland 2. They explained that InXile CEO Brian Fargo and some of the team were worried about possible brand confusion and argued that Wasteland Kings could be misinterpreted as a title in the ‘Wasteland’ franchise.

We’ve been through a lot of trouble with people riding on things of ours, and we understand that American trademark law is pretty strict in that not defending a trademark weakens it. We realize that both games are set in a similar setting, that the names are similar and that InXile obviously felt the need to reach out. Although we aren’t sure Wasteland Kings and Wasteland are confusing enough for this to be an issue, both us and InXile really don’t want to spend development time on arguing over trivialities.

Most of all, we appreciate that the first contact between us was by a normal employee, and not a lawyer. There was no extravagant Cease & Desist-letter, nor a threatening letter in an envelope labelled ‘URGENT’. The e-mail we received was short, amicable and to-the-point. It was followed up by a quick conversation on Skype, in which we established that it would be the right thing for us to change the name.

This is the way business should work nowadays: between people, not companies, not lawyers, not departments. There’s so much paperwork between one and another that it’s easy for people to forget that they’re dealing with people instead of numbers and dossiers. Things can be friendly, rather than formal for the sake of formality.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Oct 1, 2013, 12:59 Creston

Good job by all involved. If we could just resolve everything this way, we could finally kill all the lawyers.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Oct 1, 2013, 06:23 Julio

DrEvil wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 18:07:
Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 15:21:
Ugh, it's some cutsey little 16 bit arcade game. Nevermind.

Ugh, it's some snarky little Internet troll that hasn't even taken the time to understand someone's work.

The graphics are tremendously ugly. I don't need cutting edge, but worse than Sega Genesis level graphics are hard to play these days.

15. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 18:38 Prez

Ugh, it's some snarky little Internet troll that hasn't even taken the time to understand someone's work.

Go download the prototype from here...

...before passing judgement.

Why is he a troll for being turned off by SNES-quality visuals? It happens to me all the time. He didn't say it was going to be a bad game; just that the look of it turned him off to it so it's not for him. By the look I don't think it is for me either, but I am not passing judgement on it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 18:36 Dmitri_M

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 18:27:

Go download the prototype from here:

http://vlambeer.com/3

If assholes like you like their work that tells us everything we need to know. You can go back to 4 chan now, troll.
Why don't you go back to the RPGCodex and get back to be the ignored little wannabe snark bitch you were there. Just cause you found a site where your snark is cool, doesn't mean anyone here wants to hear it.

13. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 18:27 Cutter

If assholes like you like their work that tells us everything we need to know. You can go back to 4 chan now, troll.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 18:07 DrEvil

11. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 17:27 Julio

I'm glad to see that this was settled reasonably, and agree with InXile that there could be brand confusion.  

10. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 15:54 Acleacius

Well done!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 15:21 Cutter

8. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 14:23 Bitterbug

Good that it's amicable. Smart move too. Using an unoriginal turn of word like Wasteland as a trademark, defending it in court could mean the loss of the mark.
Using wasteland as a mark is as risky as using 'stump' or 'car'.

7. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 14:23 Prez

I am going to sue both parties for not enter lengthy litigation thereby depriving me of the entertainment of reading about it on Blues.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 13:18 TorchMaster

The Nuclear Throne is where I reigned after my late Saturday night meal of the chili relleno plate.

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

5. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 11:17 Quboid

Well, isn't that nice.  

- Quboid

4. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 10:31 InBlack

An exception to prove the rule. Which is unfortunate and very sad, since this is not limited to game development companies by any means.  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 10:29 Cutter

Fargo rocks. Hope this game is good too as we can always use all the post-apocalyptic goodness we can get.

2. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 10:26 ldonyo

It's amazing what can be accomplished by having a conversation instead of litigation.  

1. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 09:49 EricFate

Indeed it is.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo