Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's new list of the bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. State of Decay
  2. Castle Story
  3. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
  4. Total War: ROME II
  5. PAYDAY 2
  6. Godus
  7. Planetary Invasion
  8. Saints Row IV
  9. Dead Island: Riptide
  10. Agarest: Generations of War

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 17:47 mag

Axis wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 17:40:
What Aseven said is correct. The Castlestory devs have been barely updating it since the kickstarter finished, giving more lip-service than any development.

Shouldn't be on steam is my opinion.

Yes. Aside from being completely wrong, ASeven was correct.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 17:40 Axis

What Aseven said is correct. The Castlestory devs have been barely updating it since the kickstarter finished, giving more lip-service than any development.

Shouldn't be on steam is my opinion.

Yours truly,

Axis

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 16:45 jdreyer

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 13:47:
I'm really starting to get tired of people trying to sell un-finished games. When the concept was new, and not many people did it, it didn't bug me, but now it seems like every other game that comes out isn't finished.

I was about to buy State of Decay until I noticed that it is not only a "work in progress" but that it only supports wired xbox 360 controllers. At least get keyboard and mouse working before you ask me for money on a PC platform...
I don't mind people selling the game unfinished as long as it's prominently labeled as such. Personally I only have time for finished games, but I think there is value in open beta testing if the devs can capture and incorporate tbe feedback.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 16:27 Jerykk

I'm really starting to get tired of people trying to sell un-finished games. When the concept was new, and not many people did it, it didn't bug me, but now it seems like every other game that comes out isn't finished.

I was about to buy State of Decay until I noticed that it is not only a "work in progress" but that it only supports wired xbox 360 controllers. At least get keyboard and mouse working before you ask me for money on a PC platform...

I don't see the issue here. They clearly state that the game is unfinished and they use your money to help finish it. Letting customers try the game that early also helps make the finished product more polished, as the devs are basically getting free testing.

It's not like non-early release games are guaranteed to be finished either. Many games are released in an alpha-like state without any warning from the developer. Remember Sword of the Stars 2?

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 15:25 Steele Johnson

Apparently, first impressions of Peter M's next God game (Godus) doesn't feel like a god game at all. I really wish Peter M would get together with a real game designer and explain his ideas and vision, because when he executes his own ideas, it ends up being nothing what he describes. So strange.  

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 14:58 Kosh401

Cutter wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 14:35:
Oh please. A guy taking 30 mins out of his day once a month to apprise people of what's going on isn't a lot to ask. And the fact is they actually have an obligation to their backers to communicate until they deliver the goods as promised.

Well, if you guys took a second to look at their website, it looks like they've been posting several updates every month for the past year... 64 of which seem to be Dev Diaries according to the most recent one on their main page..

They are/were definitely in over their heads and I'm glad I decided not to back them, but the hate/rage is a bit misplaced.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 14:35 Cutter

Panickd wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 13:10:
Scam or just a game developer over-promising? There clearly is something there because what they've released is "playable". Just because a small developer got in over their head doesn't equate to a scam. People complain about the lack of communication but would you rather have the developers spending their day answering every bitch and moan in the forums or work to complete and add to the game? People are so used to instant communication these days that any time someone doesn't answer their question within seconds of them asking it it must mean they're being ignored.

Oh please. A guy taking 30 mins out of his day once a month to apprise people of what's going on isn't a lot to ask. And the fact is they actually have an obligation to their backers to communicate until they deliver the goods as promised.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 14:27 nin

I agree completely. Feels like valve kind of started down a slippery slope. I see a lot of titles I'm interested in, but not enough to take a plunge on "we're adding these features later".

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:53 Linksil

Well I can tell you that keyboard works in State of Decay, it's just not everything is in there properly (I think one of the use keys or something dosen't work right) This is mainly the reason for the beta title and the use 360 controller on steam. It's a Beta port of a finished game. Gameplay wise I haven't had a problem with it. I do seem to be missing quiet a few hours from playing it though

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:47 Beelzebud

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:32 JayDeath

I bought State of Decay for the 360 and it was not advertised as a work in progress. If you like DayZ, I'm pretty sure you will hate this 'work in progress'. I want my twenty bucks back.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:15 netnerd85

Alien Rage should be on the list, or at least next week. It's like Quake 4 and Hard Reset. Awesome!  

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:10 Panickd

ASeven wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 12:48:
nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 12:23:
Anyone playing Castle Story? Impressions? I came close to backing it on KS, but wasn't sure how it would turn out.

Also, I think 7 is supposed to be Planetary Annihilation? I'd be curious about impressions for it as well.

According to the Kickstarter page and Steam Forums, Castle Story is smelling like a scam, with the devs having only recently releasing patches after a year of silence. Game was supposed to come out a year and a half ago and it seems the game is very lacking in promised features as well.

Scam or just a game developer over-promising? There clearly is something there because what they've released is "playable". Just because a small developer got in over their head doesn't equate to a scam. People complain about the lack of communication but would you rather have the developers spending their day answering every bitch and moan in the forums or work to complete and add to the game? People are so used to instant communication these days that any time someone doesn't answer their question within seconds of them asking it it must mean they're being ignored.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:09 nin

The kickstarter only ended a year ago.

I noticed that as well.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 13:07 mag

ASeven wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 12:48:
Anyone playing Castle Story? Impressions? I came close to backing it on KS, but wasn't sure how it would turn out.

Also, I think 7 is supposed to be Planetary Annihilation? I'd be curious about impressions for it as well.

According to the Kickstarter page and Steam Forums, Castle Story is smelling like a scam, with the devs having only recently releasing patches after a year of silence. Game was supposed to come out a year and a half ago and it seems the game is very lacking in promised features as well.

While they are definitely behind schedule, ASeven is hugely exaggerating. The kickstarter only ended a year ago. They were supposed to release a prototype last October and a beta shortly after. The prototype was released at the end of the year and they gave beta users access to it about six months ago. There has been a huge amount of work done on it in those six months, from what I can tell.

Edit: And Planetary Annihilation is making impressive progress. I haven't had time to really sit down with it, but there are plenty of videos of people playing the alpha on youtube. I can report impressions when I've gotten to put a few hours into the beta.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 12:48 ASeven

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 12:23 nin

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 12:21 Panickd

State of Decay and Castle Story? Two games that aren't even finished yet? Wouldn't have called that. But I suppose nothing huge hit the PC this week.  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo