Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's new list of the bestselling titles on Steam for the past week:

1. State of Decay
  2. Castle Story
  3. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
  4. Total War: ROME II
  5. PAYDAY 2
  6. Godus
  7. Planetary Invasion
  8. Saints Row IV
  9. Dead Island: Riptide
  10. Agarest: Generations of War

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2013, 13:01 avianflu

bottomline -- buying an alpha stat game makes little sense for the _gamer_.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2013, 10:29 Mad Max RW

The new Shadow Warrior really is very good. Flying Wild Hog learned a lot from Hard Reset and it shows. Level design is detailed and beautiful as usual with a new emphasis on earning secrets. And the secrets are exactly the stuff you'd find in the original Build engine games. I love how it's packed with easter eggs like Godzilla stomping along behind some mountains and a chunk of the original game hidden behind a waterfall. Melee combat is surprisingly well done and so satisfying. They definitely didn't skimp on the gore. Movement is faster than I expected and less clunky. I like the new upgrade mechanic. It isn't just a redone version of Hard Reset, but they thought it out logically. My only gripe is there is no multiplayer or coop and doubtful they will ever add mod support.

I said Flying Wild Hog was a studio to keep an eye on after Hard Reset. They are in a position now to put Gearbox and id software to shame.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2013, 08:41 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 19:48:
nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 19:01:
Slashman wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 18:58:
No Shadow Warrior? Annoyed

I've been having a blast with it. The powers and sword fighting are pretty awesome. The new Lo Wang isn't half bad either.

Oh wow, you're right. That IS disappointing, as people seem generally positive about it.

For some reason, there's a distinct lack of coverage for the game. IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Destructoid, Eurogamer, GiantBomb and most of the major sites have yet to even review the game, which is extremely odd given that the game was released almost a week ago. I can only assume that Digital Devolver didn't send out any review copies.

Weird move on their part. The launch state of the game is pretty close to perfect. No real bugs that I can see. And on top of that it is a fun shooter with some decent humor and great visuals. I love the melee combat with the katana and the way the ki powers work.

It would be a shame if something so obvious as review copies caused sales to tank for the game.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2013, 06:42 Dmitri_M

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 00:02:
nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 20:11:
Having said that, I really need to get Prison Architect...as well as the time to play it!!!

I really dig PA, every update (which is about 1 a month) really adds quite a bit to the game. Its already pretty great, i've already got my money's worth from it i feel.
Same here, although they really need to fix the tunneling in the next update. I've given up after nearly every prisoner digs a tunnel every single night. Of course I realise this is an alpha and I'm happy to wait till the next version. It really is developing into an excellent game.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 30, 2013, 00:02 dj LiTh

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 20:11:
Having said that, I really need to get Prison Architect...as well as the time to play it!!!

I really dig PA, every update (which is about 1 a month) really adds quite a bit to the game. Its already pretty great, i've already got my money's worth from it i feel.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 22:54 Frijoles

I wrote Castle Story off a while ago. I figured it was dead. Since then I've heard, as has been said here, that they talk about updates on their website. That's fine, I suppose. But Kickstarter has a handy Updates button. Some games use it all the time and it's great. I've backed about 25 games on Kickstarter. I really don't want to go to each website to find out what the status is. The least they could do is copy/paste us a status from their website once a month. I was surprised to see Castle Story show up on Steam. I'm still hopeful they'll put something together that's a lot of fun.

Planetary Annihilation is.. interesting. It has a LOT of refinement to do, but the systems look good. The units are terribly small, and they all look the same so it's hard to figure out which one to click (tanks, planes weren't as bad). The planet feel is very interesting. I think this one will turn out well but it definitely needs a few more months to cook.

Godus I haven't looked in to recently. I should have another look. It was fun/addicting, but so damn much clicking. I hope they've cleaned that up and given the early game some beefing up, or at least have it planned.

If I were to buy one right now on early access, it'd probably be Godus.

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 22:51 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 20:05:
Admittedly this does lead to a dilemma however. Historically once a game has been made available for purchase it becomes fair game for reviewers. Which seems fair I guess. But virtually any game that isn't finished yet isn't going to score very high (not as high as it would if it were complete anyway), so that may mean reviews hurt sales of games that haven't reached their full potential. Hopefully review sites will use discretion before they slag games that are still in development.

I don't think that's really an issue. Reviewers are smart enough to not review games that are explicitly labeled as unfinished. They might give impressions but that's no different from any other preview.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 22:23 Mad Max RW

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 19:13:
I wonder how long before Steam will pull the plug on the "early access" due to all the bitching and complaining.

If it's bringing in money then pulling the plug is extremely unlikely.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 22:12 Redmask

Don't buy or back unfinished products if you can't have the patience to see it through or don't understand the risks involved. It's on Steam because they decided these games were fine with those caveats, there is no problem here.  

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 21:14 Axis

Updating a blog is not development, it's lip-service as I mentioned.

I don't know about you, but I don't get a 'warm fuzzy confident feeling' by blog posts telling me about where they went, where they're at, what they 'plan', telling me how hard they're working or making minor updates here and there.

There's been very little actually development since the early KS, that's the only news that matters.

Yours truly,

Axis

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 20:38 jacobvandy

Axis wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 19:54:
Well you obviously aren't a backer since you think there "were" 'weekly development diarays' and said followup development.

Of course they're going to appear busy when they come onto steam. I don't care if you buy it or not, I don't care if the devs finish it, but I won't brown my nose on dev ass. And I will inform the masses. If anything, sounds like the defiant "oh they're the best!' butthurts just bought it and are doing the 'Ra Ra" for the devs in hopes they didn't get screwed.

Actually I am a backer, and I am not blind. They have been posting dev diaries almost every single Friday since the KS ended at http://www.sauropodstudio.com/blog/. I don't read them all, like I don't really keep up with every update any of the KS projects I back put out, but these guys are by far one of the most prolific communicators out there. Much more so than even Obsidian or inXile. To insist otherwise only proves how far you have your head up your own ass.

Telling you that you are flat-out wrong isn't brown-nosing. I don't have any more love for Sauropod than I do any of the other indies I've Kickstarted at the bottom tier. I tried the prototype when it came out, and frankly it sucked, but I paid $15 because I felt the final product would be interesting and wanted to help make it happen while also getting it at the early discount price.

I've got better things to do than sit around waiting for updates (always many other games to play, too), but if I occasionally decide to fire it up and see how it's going, I can and do. Those that want to give feedback play more often and take a more active role... I just want the game when it's done. I'm not worried about delays happening when they vastly increase the scope of the project due to raising more than 800% of their initial funding goal, and I certainly wouldn't consider myself "screwed" if I were suddenly out that measly $15. Maybe you should start your own Kickstarter if you feel differently on that?

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 20:11 nin

Prez wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 20:05:
I don't see a problem with the early access games having a price tag while still in development as long as it is very clear that you are paying for an unfinished game. I've only seen that be a problem with that DayZ-ripoff game 'WarZ' and 'Towns' and Valve took the proper steps to remedy both situations. The way I see it there's nothing wrong with supporting a game that you want to see finished.

Admittedly this does lead to a dilemma however. Historically once a game has been made available for purchase it becomes fair game for reviewers. Which seems fair I guess. But virtually any game that isn't finished yet isn't going to score very high (not as high as it would if it were complete anyway), so that may mean reviews hurt sales of games that haven't reached their full potential. Hopefully review sites will use discretion before they slag games that are still in development.

If every developer followed through on their plans for a given game, I'd have no problem with it. But it still feels like a bit of a gamble, sometimes...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 20:05 Prez

I don't see a problem with the early access games having a price tag while still in development as long as it is very clear that you are paying for an unfinished game. I've only seen that be a problem with that DayZ-ripoff game 'WarZ' and 'Towns' and Valve took the proper steps to remedy both situations. The way I see it there's nothing wrong with supporting a game that you want to see finished.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 19:54 Axis

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 18:29:
Man, some people are just willfully ignorant... You mean to tell me that everything they talk about in their weekly development diaries, is not actually happening? Just because they're not pushing updates out fast enough to meet your self-entitled demands, that doesn't mean work isn't being done. Feel free to ignore the game until it's finished, you are not and never were forced to buy it now or fund it back then.

Well you obviously aren't a backer since you think there "were" 'weekly development diarays' and said followup development.

Of course they're going to appear busy when they come onto steam. I don't care if you buy it or not, I don't care if the devs finish it, but I won't brown my nose on dev ass. And I will inform the masses. If anything, sounds like the defiant "oh they're the best!' butthurts just bought it and are doing the 'Ra Ra" for the devs in hopes they didn't get screwed.

Yours truly,

Axis

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 19:48 Jerykk

nin wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 19:01:

I've been having a blast with it. The powers and sword fighting are pretty awesome. The new Lo Wang isn't half bad either.

Oh wow, you're right. That IS disappointing, as people seem generally positive about it.

For some reason, there's a distinct lack of coverage for the game. IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku, Destructoid, Eurogamer, GiantBomb and most of the major sites have yet to even review the game, which is extremely odd given that the game was released almost a week ago. I can only assume that Digital Devolver didn't send out any review copies.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 19:16 ColoradoHoudini

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 13:15:
Alien Rage should be on the list, or at least next week. It's like Quake 4 and Hard Reset. Awesome!

Just watched a trailer.. looks pretty fun.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 19:13 SpectralMeat

I wonder how long before Steam will pull the plug on the "early access" due to all the bitching and complaining.

Steam: SpectralMeat

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 19:01 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 18:58 Slashman

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 29, 2013, 18:29 jacobvandy

Man, some people are just willfully ignorant... You mean to tell me that everything they talk about in their weekly development diaries, is not actually happening? Just because they're not pushing updates out fast enough to meet your self-entitled demands, that doesn't mean work isn't being done. Feel free to ignore the game until it's finished, you are not and never were forced to buy it now or fund it back then.  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo