Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 16:28 nin

Go have a kid

No no! No breeding for dunder!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 16:20 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 11:27:
But if you taught your kids between right and wrong and that actions have consequences, they generally stay in line.

Again someone who has no kids talking in broad generalities about parenthood as if they have a fucking clue.

You don't just one day declare moral right and wrong then they go off into the sunset. Teaching children is a lifelong grind, constantly reinforcing and helping them understand concepts about everything. You can teach children about consequences and they still do not learn because the best teacher is often first hand experience and people don't always follow advice. You can't preemptively teach them not to do everything, sometimes they only learn something is right or wrong by doing it and seeing the consequences for themselves.

Go have a kid and then come back to me with vague, fortune cookie bullshit.

What a waste of time.

11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 29, 2013, 18:14 DrEvil

What an over simplification that is. The entire childhood is a teaching of right and wrong. It's not like you teach them one day and they are good to go. There are many stumbling blocks on the way to learning that lesson, and even adults often don't have it down entirely. Some stumbling blocks like this can be rather expensive.

Seems to be fine with current devices requiring your password in order to make purchases. That should be enabled, kids or not.

10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 29, 2013, 11:27 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 10:21:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 07:19:
Yeah, didn't have that problem with my parents. I simply asked them for what I wanted to watch, R rated or not. It all comes down to teaching your kids to ask for something instead of them beleiving that they should go behind your back.

I take it you don't have kids of your own then. Parents aren't omniscient, you can't stop your child from doing everything wrong before it happens. Kids being kids, aren't always going to take no for an answer and there are many ways around safeguards for these sorts of things. In-app purchases are getting pretty ridiculous, letting people rack up hundreds of dollars in bills before it can be stopped. It's easy to do the backseat parental quarterbacking until its your phone bill that is hit by some scumball company who is making a living off accidental billing.

I have about as much respect for in-app whoring as I do for people who sell energy contracts door to door to the elderly.

But if you taught your kids between right and wrong and that actions have consequences, they generally stay in line.

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 29, 2013, 10:21 Redmask

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 07:19:
Yeah, didn't have that problem with my parents. I simply asked them for what I wanted to watch, R rated or not. It all comes down to teaching your kids to ask for something instead of them beleiving that they should go behind your back.

I take it you don't have kids of your own then. Parents aren't omniscient, you can't stop your child from doing everything wrong before it happens. Kids being kids, aren't always going to take no for an answer and there are many ways around safeguards for these sorts of things. In-app purchases are getting pretty ridiculous, letting people rack up hundreds of dollars in bills before it can be stopped. It's easy to do the backseat parental quarterbacking until its your phone bill that is hit by some scumball company who is making a living off accidental billing.

I have about as much respect for in-app whoring as I do for people who sell energy contracts door to door to the elderly.

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 29, 2013, 07:19 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 20:54:
password locks or not, there are quite a few game apps out there that purposely are designed to get as much money as possible from you as easily as possible.
Yeah, still not seeing a problem here. If it's not illegal, then I couldn't care less. And ethical, meh. Ethical comes down to each persons opinion.

Frijoles wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 23:31:
Many years ago, my parents used to lock us (their kids) out of HBO when I was young. My brother found the password or guessed it or something, and shared it with me. Many R rated movies were to be had. These days we would have emptied their bank account.

I don't trust apps anymore because of all the shit they want you to buy and how aggressive they are with it. They don't even let you buy the game anymore so you can ignore it. And if you forget just that one time and let your guard down, BAM.. $1500 in charges for some shitty pixels. My kids do not have my password to the store. They have app purchases turned off. And I've completely removed them from the network. But I sure as hell still worry about it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 28, 2013, 23:31 Frijoles

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 20:45:
Password locks? No device tying? Not really difficult to figure out.

Many years ago, my parents used to lock us (their kids) out of HBO when I was young. My brother found the password or guessed it or something, and shared it with me. Many R rated movies were to be had. These days we would have emptied their bank account.

I don't trust apps anymore because of all the shit they want you to buy and how aggressive they are with it. They don't even let you buy the game anymore so you can ignore it. And if you forget just that one time and let your guard down, BAM.. $1500 in charges for some shitty pixels. My kids do not have my password to the store. They have app purchases turned off. And I've completely removed them from the network. But I sure as hell still worry about it.

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 28, 2013, 20:54 The Half Elf

password locks or not, there are quite a few game apps out there that purposely are designed to get as much money as possible from you as easily as possible.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 28, 2013, 20:45 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 16:43:
Difference is a kid can't go up to the supermarket machines and just push a button and mommy and daddy's credit card is credited, or their phone carrier accounts.
Password locks? No device tying? Not really difficult to figure out.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 28, 2013, 19:34 Cyant

Only give them access to a device with no credit card attached? Keep the password to yourself maybe? sigh...  

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 28, 2013, 17:11 dj LiTh

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 16:43:
Difference is a kid can't go up to the supermarket machines and just push a button and mommy and daddy's credit card is credited, or their phone carrier accounts.

Pretty much this

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 28, 2013, 16:43 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 28, 2013, 15:22 Mashiki Amiketo

So does that mean they're going to remove gumball machines, and ride-type toys at supermarkets, and malls? After all those encourage children to buy, ride, or enjoy themselves too.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo