Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Controller Announced

The Steam Controller is the third and final announcement in Valve's promised three-prong assault on the living room. They say their goal was to create "a new kind of input technology," which has them proposing a haptic, dual-trackpad controller they say is "driven by the player's thumbs" (what will they think of next?). They also invite the community to get cracking on this when it is released, saying it "was designed from the ground up to be hackable." Here are details on the major new feature, the touchscreens:

In the center of the controller is another touch-enabled surface, this one backed by a high-resolution screen. This surface, too, is critical to achieving the controllerís primary goal - supporting all games in the Steam catalog. The screen allows an infinite number of discrete actions to be made available to the player, without requiring an infinite number of physical buttons.

The whole screen itself is also clickable, like a large single button. So actions are not invoked by a simple touch, they instead require a click. This allows a player to touch the screen, browse available actions, and only then commit to the one they want. Players can swipe through pages of actions in games where thatís appropriate. When programmed by game developers using our API, the touch screen can work as a scrolling menu, a radial dial, provide secondary info like a map or use other custom input modes we havenít thought of yet.

In order to avoid forcing players to divide their attention between screens, a critical feature of the Steam Controller comes from its deep integration with Steam. When a player touches the controller screen, its display is overlayed on top of the game theyíre playing, allowing the player to leave their attention squarely on the action, where it belongs.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

20. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 22:24 nin

I'm a little disappointed there's no credit card reader on one side, so I can just swipe during steam sales.

Other than that, looks neat.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 22:19 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 21:16:
How would you use the touchpad while using an Oculus?

It's a gamepad, still doesn't replace mouse and keyboard but at least it isn't as bad as that Novint Falcon thing Valve seemed to be hyping a few years back.

remember this mess?

http://www.novint.com/

Memorizing the few buttons that could be mapped on that tiny screen and their position is hardly rocket science. Especially when it's stuff that gives you instant feedback (like quicksave/quickload)

I don't think a keyboard and mouse is going to be a huge issue with an oculus rift, but we'll only know that once it's out. This controller would at least be vastly superior to crappy analog sticks.

At least if this is somehow giving proper tactile feedback. Who knows ,P

18. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 22:18 jacobvandy

Obviously something like this (emulating keyboard/mouse actions) is needed in order to play any of the plethora of games that are not built with controller support, but there's not much chance of it being any better at playing gamepad-centric games than existing gamepads. The issue of button placement have already been brought up... Those ones on the left will only ever be used in games that do not feature any sort of direct movement control. But an analog stick is already superior to WASD at direct movement, so why emulate the latter? Is ambidexterity really a good enough reason to go with the owl face instead of just replacing a right thumb stick with a touch pad?

And forget about playing shooters with this thing, I've tried that before on a laptop and it's just a ridiculous swipe-frenzy if you don't tweak the sensitivity to the point where any slip of the thumb/fore-finger will make you stare into the sky. I think they pretty much have to have the analog functionality of increasing movement speed toward the edge of the circle to combat that, so it's really only going to be accurate there for smaller, precise movements like sniping.

17. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 22:13 eRe4s3r

Slinkycatz wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 21:13:
For some people, sitting at their PC isn't as comfy as sitting on the couch in the living room... a mouse and keyboard also don't work as well.

Some games are more suited to a controller, such as a console port or an indie side-scroller.

I don't know what to make of this controller, though... it needs to be felt and tried in action. Can it actually work well like that or will it be an annoyance?

Maybe it is the tech that's needed to make games controllable when you are under an oculus rift If it's cheap enough it might be worth a try.

16. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2013, 22:02 HorrorScope

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 21:53:
Between the ps3 and xbox controller, I am not sure what needs to be fixed. I don't think they are broken.

For some types of games they are ideal but for others they are second rate. The games most pc players play... second rate. They are not the best choice for FPS, RTS or Driving. They are second rate to all of those.

So I believe the point of this design is to enhance the speed and accuracy of the gamepad to get closer to mouse functionality. If not, I have no clue what they are doing.

Aim Assist is console lose.

15. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2013, 21:58 BobBob

Controller!?!? Come on Valve .. I need my keyboard/mouse.

What's missing from the touch-screen and Kinect method is tactical feedback. There needs to be a way for the user's brain (or finger tips) to feel a sensation of resistance, otherwise it's near impossible to have precise movement and reaction.

AIREAL is on the right track; it just needs to be done microscopically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFhkdGtHck 0:44

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2013, 22:12.

14. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2013, 21:57 The Half Elf

Bats look at the button layout around the screen, and look at your game collection, or any game you've played on a 360 or PS3, how well would that work for ya?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 21:57 2nd_floor

You might think that Valve is one of the companies "exiting the Windows market". Was looking forward to software and games for the PC. SteamOS if need be, but on PC! What about all of the "AAA games coming to SteamOS"? I guess Valve knows what its doing, just have to wait.  

12. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2013, 21:53 xXBatmanXx

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 21:45:
The pads IF they work are great, but they fucked up majorly with button location. Going all the way back to the NES, you keep the buttons on the right so they are easily accessible with your right hand, and that way your not taking your hands off the movement stick/pad to click buttons.

Between the ps3 and xbox controller, I am not sure what needs to be fixed. I don't think they are broken. That being said, good for them, and I hope I get in the beta, but I have never been a fan of touchpad items. As sensitive as those will have to be, I am not sure there is going to be a lot of precision involved.

oh well. I applaud them for trying.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 21:52 HorrorScope

Yah not to just piss on it.... will need to see demo's/try it to see what their hoping works. I won't say it's impossible and if they did it, then great.

What kind of compatibility it has as well will be critical.

10. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2013, 21:45 The Half Elf

The pads IF they work are great, but they fucked up majorly with button location. Going all the way back to the NES, you keep the buttons on the right so they are easily accessible with your right hand, and that way your not taking your hands off the movement stick/pad to click buttons.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2013, 21:41 DangerDog

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 21:18:
I'm going to have to try this hands on to be sure but right now it sounds terrible. I doubt even Valve can turn a mouse and keyboard into a controller and not make it weird. It'll be interesting to see the first user impressions.

They'll hand it off to people who strictly play on consoles and film them praising how awesome it is.

Are there really that many PC Gamers using "Big Picture" and playing their games on the living room TV or is this really just Valve pushing an end game agenda to cut ties with Windows?

8. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 21:26 Cutter

Ahh yes, the PC console no one asked for. Fuck you Gabe. Just give someone else the rights Half Life already if you're not making anymore games with that IP. They should have done that years ago.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Into the Black Sep 27, 2013, 21:18 NegaDeath

I'm going to have to try this hands on to be sure but right now it sounds terrible. I doubt even Valve can turn a mouse and keyboard into a controller and not make it weird. It'll be interesting to see the first user impressions.  

6. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 21:16 DangerDog

How would you use the touchpad while using an Oculus?

It's a gamepad, still doesn't replace mouse and keyboard but at least it isn't as bad as that Novint Falcon thing Valve seemed to be hyping a few years back.

remember this mess?

http://www.novint.com/

5. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 21:13 Slinkycatz

For some people, sitting at their PC isn't as comfy as sitting on the couch in the living room... a mouse and keyboard also don't work as well.

Some games are more suited to a controller, such as a console port or an indie side-scroller.

I don't know what to make of this controller, though... it needs to be felt and tried in action. Can it actually work well like that or will it be an annoyance?

4. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 21:03 jdreyer

That looks really cool, actually. I was not expecting someone to completely reinvent the controller, but it looks like they might have done it. I'll wait for the reviews, but that technology looks really awesome. It could really open up a lot more kinds of games to be played on the sofa or with an Oculus.

If you think about it, the problem with a Steam box in the living room, is that so many games play best with a mouse and keyboard. If this is a way around those restrictions, then I really have to tip my hat to them.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 21:03 MajorD

Yeah, this third announcement is pretty much anticlimactic. Bored

2. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 20:54 Rea1One

Would have been nice to see a tech demo of Source 2 Engine but oh well...  

1. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 27, 2013, 20:34 Kosumo

Disappointed Party2  

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo