Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins

The Planetary Annihilation Kickstarter Page has word this next-generation RTS game from Uber Entertainment has entered the beta testing phase, so backers eligible to participate should be receiving their invites, and those already in the alpha should get the beta version the next time they update their clients (thanks Colin). Here's word on the enjoyment this brings: "Enjoy strapping rockets to asteroids and sending them on a crash course into the planets. Enjoy orbital weapons and surveillance. Enjoy launching tanks, bots, and other vehicles onto celestial bodies. Enjoy waging war on an interplanetary scale." They celebrate the news with a new Beta Reveal Trailer.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 28, 2013, 10:06 Kalthorn

Creston wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 10:59:
One thing that did have me a bit worried, though, was that the units seem to all clump up and be idiots when they move, as opposed to the neat movement in formation from the SupCom series. Can anyone with early access confirm whether or not those formations are in there? And how's the UI? As utterly BRILLIANT as SupComs?

I haven't played the newest patch but there haven't been formations so far. I think they are confirmed as a feature though. Overall the UI is great. Been awhile since I've played SupCom but this feels the same plus a little streamlined. The building menu has group hotkeys so you can quickly filter the icons/choices by type such as factory, defense, econ. The shift overlay for queued commands doesn't show paths (yet?) which I've missed (even though it could be confusing) but it may be coming. But lots of other bits work perfectly like factory waypoints and patrolling.

For everyone else wondering about idiots and pricing, meh, it's just a matter of priorities versus budget. Some of you probably buy and play a lot of games. Me not so much but I can afford to. So when the next SupCom appears and I can play *now* and support the dev team as well (somehow missed the KS campaign or the graphics threw me), it's a fairly easy decision.

I've never even wanted the interplanetary features either although that may change after I play with them. I just like the fact that there's no way to corner turtle. The generated terrain can really make for some interesting battles too. My only wish at this point (assuming they keep patching and polishing as well as they have been) is that Stealth gets modded in after release. I had sort of assumed it was on the official plan.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 23:10 Taskeen

Not sure why people got all uppity about the pricing. You are paying for the development of the game or just wait.

Its a lot different than giving publishers money for "pre order bonuses" for basically complete-hyped games (supposedly) and then finding out they really aren't complete all and full of broken promises. Publishers have been enabled enough - its refreshing that many crowd sourced games are being developed - at least in some cases (MWO is a fail, due to the developers and a game is only as good as its artist).

There are plenty of these games out there, and I'll pick up this game when its done.

14. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 19:51 Prez

This looks great! I am really looking forward to the final release.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 15:01 Cutter

I'll be honest and say that the main reason I didn't back this is because the graphics style threw me off. I just didn't like it, and I figured it would just annoy me if I played it.

Hah! I adore the look of the game. I love the style. It's just too bad I'm not an RTS guy or I'd play the shit out of it.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 14:46 nin

deqer wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 14:30:
High price:

If you want to share your puny/shitty feedback to a programmer for their next-gen RTS triple-A game, then you going to have to pay a hefty price for them to bother with listening to you.

Thank god you won't be there!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 14:30 deqer

High price:

If you want to share your puny/shitty feedback to a programmer for their next-gen RTS triple-A game, then you going to have to pay a hefty price for them to bother with listening to you.

10. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 14:21 KS

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 13:31:
I'll be honest and say that the main reason I didn't back this is because the graphics style threw me off.

I didn't back it because the amount of money you need to make a good rts is way more then 3 million. The original supcom had 10 mill, supcom 2 had 5 million.

3 million just isn't enough. I hope the mod community can make some cool mods for PA since the developer just doesn't have the resources/talent to do a full fledged next gen RTS.

PA is juts a retread of the same damn game we've all been playing for years already sadly.

Not really. The idea of planets and gravity and 3D outer space with proper space flight (instead of most games' air flight simulation, or Eve Online's submarine simulation) completely changes the dynamics. No longer is it a planet-based (read: land map) battlefield.

I can ignore the vastly underscaled planet size and interplanetary distances just to get at the wonder of a simple but thematically accurate solar system as the battlefield, with realistic, if stylized, gravitational wells and rocketry, and proper ballistics between solar bodies.

Fantastic! It seems like a big change over previous games and not just more of the same.

Next step: Someone get the rights to do a Starfire game with all this and proper warp point defense and assault!

9. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 14:07 mag

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 13:31:
I'll be honest and say that the main reason I didn't back this is because the graphics style threw me off.

I didn't back it because the amount of money you need to make a good rts is way more then 3 million. The original supcom had 10 mill, supcom 2 had 5 million.

3 million just isn't enough. I hope the mod community can make some cool mods for PA since the developer just doesn't have the resources/talent to do a full fledged next gen RTS.

PA is juts a retread of the same damn game we've all been playing for years already sadly.

They are reducing costs with the lack of a SP campaign and by having the planets be largely procedurally generated. The factions also have symmetric units, which means no unit balancing troubles. And they already had some tech put together. And they're using a relatively simplified graphical style.

All that together, and you can do it on the cheap.

8. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 13:31 Suppa7

7. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 10:59 Creston

I'll be honest and say that the main reason I didn't back this is because the graphics style threw me off. I just didn't like it, and I figured it would just annoy me if I played it.

Now that I've seen the game in motion, it actually looks fine, so yay.

One thing that did have me a bit worried, though, was that the units seem to all clump up and be idiots when they move, as opposed to the neat movement in formation from the SupCom series. Can anyone with early access confirm whether or not those formations are in there? And how's the UI? As utterly BRILLIANT as SupComs?

6. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 10:30 SpectralMeat

Whiskers wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 10:27:
I think the prices are higher because they had to match the rewards for backing the kickstarter. $80 or more was alpha access, $60 beta, etc.
Exactly.
They did explain this when the Early access started on Steam but people saw the price and started screaming bloody murder.

So yeah
fawker wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 10:09:
People are idiots.

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 10:27 Whiskers

I think the prices are higher because they had to match the rewards for backing the kickstarter. $80 or more was alpha access, $60 beta, etc.  

4. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 10:27 Darks

fawker wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 10:09:
Word is $40.

I'll be picking it up for $20 during an inevitable sale.

People are idiots.

Same here, these guys are to greedy, They totaly scared many away from backing them.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

3. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 10:13 Dmitri_M

InBlack wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 10:08:
The pre purchase price on Steam seemed excessive. How much will the final product cost?
Yeah these guys went the opposite direction as far as early access. Pay a lot, rather than pay a fraction. I'm guessing it'll be priced lower at release.

It does look nice, but I'm happy to wait for the final price

edit: yeah $40 according to this page https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4

2. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 10:09 fawker

Word is $40.

I'll be picking it up for $20 during an inevitable sale.

People are idiots.

1. Re: Planetary Annihilation Beta Begins Sep 27, 2013, 10:08 InBlack

The pre purchase price on Steam seemed excessive. How much will the final product cost?  

I have a nifty blue line!

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo