Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $20M

Cloud Imperium announces that Star Citizen has passed the $20 million mark in the crowd-sourced funding campaign for this upcoming space simulation. They promise surprise announcements are coming next month to coincide with the first anniversary of the game's announcement:

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Star Citizen™, the PC based space sim from legendary designer Chris Roberts, has crossed yet another major milestone in its crowd funding campaign. Roberts’ company, Cloud Imperium™ Games, announced today the campaign passed the $20 million mark in crowd funding. It’s an amount that’s been raised in less than one year — $10 million was raised in just the past 4 ½ months.

“It was not quite a year ago when we began our voyage with this incredible community,” said Roberts, Cloud Imperium CEO. “Honestly, we never dreamed we’d reach this point so quickly. It’s a testament to the passion that our backers have for space sims and PC gaming. We have the best community in all of gaming and they are literally taking part in helping us develop Star Citizen.”

Star Citizen’s crowd funding campaign is setting new standards in the way a community participates in a game’s development. “We are breaking new ground in community interaction,” said Roberts. “The fans are involved through feedback forums, polls and direct contact with our dev team, and all the while they are continuing to back our project even more and helping us put out the word about Star Citizen. Our backers are our sales force. It’s really quite liberating for us and for our fans who are helping us create the dream of a true AAA PC game without the restrictions of a publisher.”

Ahead for Star Citizen backers and fans are plenty of game updates including the unveiling of more ships, some surprise announcements coming at the one year anniversary of the game’s unveiling on October 10 and the highly anticipated dogfighting module scheduled in coming months. More Information on becoming a Star Citizen backer can be found at http://www.RobertsSpaceIndustries.com.

Star Citizen is a crowd funded game that officially launched on October 10 of 2012. Since that time Roberts’ company has raised more than $20 million from backers all over the world making Star Citizen the top ranking crowd funded project ever.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 04:07 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 02:07:
If you think it won't change you're kidding yourself.
I didnt say that I responded to your "massive blow to crowd funding games".

If a big crowdfunding project fails, some people will stop backing completely. Others will learn to inform themselves better, before they fund anything. Or they set themselves some guidelines like "max 50 dollars" or "only if there is already a playable alpha", "only if there more than just a lonely concept drawing".

But "a massive blow to crowdfunding games"? No. Has not happened in the past with crowdfunding failures for other projects, will not happen in gaming. That is the beauty of crowdfunding. A failure only makes participants smarter, it doesnt make them poor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 04:01 Luke

Gamers aren't particularly good at sticking to their guns where their money is concerned. Even if a few Kickstarters fail or under-deliver, the next Kickstarter with a shiny bit of hype, an IP they like, or a developer they like, and they'll be right back throwing their money at them.

Ahh ...that is not true.. Book

18. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 03:10 NKD

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 02:07:
Kajetan wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 01:37:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 00:17:
And yeah, if it's not as advertised all around this could be just another massive blow to crowd funding games.
No, it wont. Crowdfunding is an established financing method for many years now, not only in the gaming world. Failures happened frequently. Has not stopped different (!) people from supporting different (!) projects they want to support.

Crowd funding is new as far as gaming is concerned. We haven't even seen any major projects arrive as of yet. The largest being Shadowrun so far and that's gone over to mixed reviews. As more failures and scams about all around you'll see it diminish. Either that or people - like myself - will expect to see a lot more than just a concept before we hand any money over. From now I won't unless I see they're already comitted their own funds and have done a substantial amount of work. Nor, will I be funding anymore millionaires who can finance this stuff themselves. If you think it won't change you're kidding yourself.

Gamers aren't particularly good at sticking to their guns where their money is concerned. Even if a few Kickstarters fail or under-deliver, the next Kickstarter with a shiny bit of hype, an IP they like, or a developer they like, and they'll be right back throwing their money at them.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 02:25 Lord Tea

Quboid wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 22:15:
I'm starting to get a rather uneasy feeling about this game. They're promising the stars and there's the reputation of more than just Star Citizen at stake. This is a big deal for crowd funding (ugh, now I'm using that phrase) and it could all end in tears.

Thankfully, I know nothing and my predictions frequently suck, so it'll probably all be OK.

Hey, I love space sims as much as the next guy but Roberts has given me a real snakeoil salesman vibe that's only gotten worse. I hope I'm dead wrong on this because I'll happily buy it after launch if that's the case but there's no chaance in hell I'm giving him dime one until we see exactly what's what all around.

And yeah, if it's not as advertised all around this could be just another massive blow to crowd funding games.

Exactly my thoughts... At this point I'm glad I haven't spent one cent on this project. To me it seems it has grown from overweight to obese, and that's a bad sign. Once you deliver what's promised I'll gladly give you my money Mr. Roberts, but it's your turn first.

UPSA = United Police States of America

16. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 02:07 Cutter

Kajetan wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 01:37:
No, it wont. Crowdfunding is an established financing method for many years now, not only in the gaming world. Failures happened frequently. Has not stopped different (!) people from supporting different (!) projects they want to support.

Crowd funding is new as far as gaming is concerned. We haven't even seen any major projects arrive as of yet. The largest being Shadowrun so far and that's gone over to mixed reviews. As more failures and scams about all around you'll see it diminish. Either that or people - like myself - will expect to see a lot more than just a concept before we hand any money over. From now I won't unless I see they're already comitted their own funds and have done a substantial amount of work. Nor, will I be funding anymore millionaires who can finance this stuff themselves. If you think it won't change you're kidding yourself.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 01:37 Kajetan

14. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 00:17 Cutter

I'm starting to get a rather uneasy feeling about this game. They're promising the stars and there's the reputation of more than just Star Citizen at stake. This is a big deal for crowd funding (ugh, now I'm using that phrase) and it could all end in tears.

Thankfully, I know nothing and my predictions frequently suck, so it'll probably all be OK.

Hey, I love space sims as much as the next guy but Roberts has given me a real snakeoil salesman vibe that's only gotten worse. I hope I'm dead wrong on this because I'll happily buy it after launch if that's the case but there's no chaance in hell I'm giving him dime one until we see exactly what's what all around.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 23:54 DangerDog

Taskeen wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 23:07:
Space Sims are back Baby. X3 and Star Citizen, fuck yeah.

Elite Dangerous

Limit Theory looks interesting, made by one guy so it might be a long time coming.

12. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 23:07 Taskeen

Space Sims are back Baby. X3 and Star Citizen, fuck yeah.  

11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 22:36 wtf_man

I don't give a shit about the MMO part. If the single player game is good..., I'll have gotten my minimal backing's worth.  

10. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 22:16 nin

You're not the only one. I want it to be great, and what I've seen looks really good, but I'm still a little worried.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 22:15 Quboid

- Quboid

8. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 22:14 ItBurn

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 22:06:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 21:50:
Whiskers wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 21:48:
Will this actually sell any copies when it comes out? Feels like 90% of the people have already given tons of cash and gotten copies of the game already.

There's no publisher or investors who require a profit. They can basically just do another kickstarter and keep on making games. If the game is good, people will buy the next ones.

Instead of supporting their MMO/Single player game post release?

I'd pay for expansions.

7. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 22:06 dj LiTh

ItBurn wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 21:50:
Will this actually sell any copies when it comes out? Feels like 90% of the people have already given tons of cash and gotten copies of the game already.

There's no publisher or investors who require a profit. They can basically just do another kickstarter and keep on making games. If the game is good, people will buy the next ones.

Instead of supporting their MMO/Single player game post release?

6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 21:50 ItBurn

5. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 21:48 Whiskers

4. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 21:48 Jivaro

Ya, nobody would want to play one of those. Dead genre.  

3. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 21:40 Fleche

Space sims too. Pointless to make one.  

2. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 21:34 wtf_man

Ayup.  

1. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 20:47 SpectralMeat

PC gaming is dead  

Steam: SpectralMeat

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.