Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Passes $20M

Cloud Imperium announces that Star Citizen has passed the $20 million mark in the crowd-sourced funding campaign for this upcoming space simulation. They promise surprise announcements are coming next month to coincide with the first anniversary of the game's announcement:

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Star Citizen™, the PC based space sim from legendary designer Chris Roberts, has crossed yet another major milestone in its crowd funding campaign. Roberts’ company, Cloud Imperium™ Games, announced today the campaign passed the $20 million mark in crowd funding. It’s an amount that’s been raised in less than one year — $10 million was raised in just the past 4 ½ months.

“It was not quite a year ago when we began our voyage with this incredible community,” said Roberts, Cloud Imperium CEO. “Honestly, we never dreamed we’d reach this point so quickly. It’s a testament to the passion that our backers have for space sims and PC gaming. We have the best community in all of gaming and they are literally taking part in helping us develop Star Citizen.”

Star Citizen’s crowd funding campaign is setting new standards in the way a community participates in a game’s development. “We are breaking new ground in community interaction,” said Roberts. “The fans are involved through feedback forums, polls and direct contact with our dev team, and all the while they are continuing to back our project even more and helping us put out the word about Star Citizen. Our backers are our sales force. It’s really quite liberating for us and for our fans who are helping us create the dream of a true AAA PC game without the restrictions of a publisher.”

Ahead for Star Citizen backers and fans are plenty of game updates including the unveiling of more ships, some surprise announcements coming at the one year anniversary of the game’s unveiling on October 10 and the highly anticipated dogfighting module scheduled in coming months. More Information on becoming a Star Citizen backer can be found at http://www.RobertsSpaceIndustries.com.

Star Citizen is a crowd funded game that officially launched on October 10 of 2012. Since that time Roberts’ company has raised more than $20 million from backers all over the world making Star Citizen the top ranking crowd funded project ever.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 28, 2013, 07:42 Jerykk

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 02:32:
I have a bad feeling with chris at the helm unfortunately, Scope control is paramount on a project like this. Especially when you haven't made any games in years. They should just focus on high quality content light space combat game and worry about the MMO aspect after they perfect the basic elements of the game.

Freelancer wasted a tonne of resources and it's combat was just awful because Chris tried to do too many things, so freelancer ended up being one of the most shallow games he's ever made.

If they don't pefect the basic elements, the rest of the game is going to fall apart.

I liked Freelancer. Sure, the combat was pretty shallow but exploring the universe was a ton of fun and they did a great job of making each sector and planet feel unique. I thought the story was pretty interesting too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 28, 2013, 02:32 Suppa7

I have a bad feeling with chris at the helm unfortunately, Scope control is paramount on a project like this. Especially when you haven't made any games in years. They should just focus on high quality content light space combat game and worry about the MMO aspect after they perfect the basic elements of the game.

Freelancer wasted a tonne of resources and it's combat was just awful because Chris tried to do too many things, so freelancer ended up being one of the most shallow games he's ever made.

If they don't pefect the basic elements, the rest of the game is going to fall apart.

38. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 22:25 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 16:29:
I was wondering why the money keeps trickling in as well, and then I had this really random experience. My youngest step-daughter turned 21 last week. (I know...) At her dinner party her older sister turns to me and says "Have you seen that Star Citizen game?" My jaw hit the floor. She plays some Zelda and Mario, but I have never known her to really keep up on anything gaming related. Turns out her boyfriend showed the hangar to her...an hour later she had put some money in. Her boyfriend plays CoD and Battlefield, that is literally all of his games. The fact that he knew about this game was shocking. The fact that he is now going to buy a new PC just to play it blows my mind.

I think it shows that big leaps in graphics can still sell games. I know that's why I put money in.

37. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 20:18 Quboid

That's quite something and I'm glad it's getting that sort of attention but that also illustrates my point - do these people know what they're getting into? I guess I do expect this industry to kick me in the balls but if this game is to be the saviour of PC gaming (which is a load of wank), if this is bringing a lot of people to PC gaming, what happens if a bunch of unsuspecting new gamers get kicked in the balls?

I don't mean to be so pessimistic. I'm thinking about worst-case what-if scenarios, not what I expect to happen (which is merely for it to be disappointing).

- Quboid

36. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 16:29 Jivaro

I was wondering why the money keeps trickling in as well, and then I had this really random experience. My youngest step-daughter turned 21 last week. (I know...) At her dinner party her older sister turns to me and says "Have you seen that Star Citizen game?" My jaw hit the floor. She plays some Zelda and Mario, but I have never known her to really keep up on anything gaming related. Turns out her boyfriend showed the hangar to her...an hour later she had put some money in. Her boyfriend plays CoD and Battlefield, that is literally all of his games. The fact that he knew about this game was shocking. The fact that he is now going to buy a new PC just to play it blows my mind. He says he has a bunch of friends that are doing the same thing. I feel like I woke up in an alternate reality or something.

I also find myself remembering back to the days when Flight Simulator ruled the world. When I was 19 or so I remember all these older guys with their full setups on a computer that was meant to do one thing, simulate flying an aircraft. Those setups cost big bucks but people were willing to pay for it. This is starting to remind me of that as well. I mean some of us here, myself included, have already started talking sticks etc.

I find the skepticism healthy, even if it is getting a bit repetitive. I understand it it anyway. The hype is tremendous and I think a lot of us have gotten to a point where we just expect this industry to kick us in the balls. Still, I myself am going to go ahead and let myself go full fanboy. I apologize ahead of time if I squee or gush all over any future threads.

35. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 15:53 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 15:30:
We've covered this in multiple threads already so I don't feel like listing all the points again. Suffice it to say plenty of other people feel the same way.

No, it isn't suffice to say when you offer nothing at all to support something. He has a proven track record of development, at worst he's overshooting some of their goals but there is really no evidence to support that.

34. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 15:30 Cutter

Graham wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 12:41:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 00:17:

Hey, I love space sims as much as the next guy but Roberts has given me a real snakeoil salesman vibe that's only gotten worse.

Can you go into detail as to why you feel this way? What has he done, specifically, that is giving you a "real snakeoil salesman vibe"?

We've covered this in multiple threads already so I don't feel like listing all the points again. Suffice it to say plenty of other people feel the same way.

And, yeah, Cres, I agree. It strikes me as odd how the money seemingly keeps rolling in - and just through word of mouth at that. I'd really love to see some verification through a 3rd party audit like what KPMG does. It seems fishier than a fish in a fish market.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 14:04 Parias

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 13:39:
GTFO. X is probably the most horrible space sim there is outside of Evochron Mercenary, Freespace 2, Xwing vs. Tie fighter and oldschool wing commander are greater then anything X or independence war could ever hope to achieve.

Hey now, leave my little Independence War out of this... it was a fun underrated franchise. It's like you're kicking a puppy!

32. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 13:39 Suppa7

Quboid wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 11:35:
From what I've seen, which in actual terms of how good the games actually are isn't much, Star Citizen without the MMO/persistent stuff is just an inferior X Rebirth. There's plenty of room for 2 space sims on the PC (ironically Egosoft don't feel the need to bang on about being a PC developer) but the online stuff might be good and make the game more interesting. Or it may indeed be a horrible cash grab.

GTFO. X is probably the most horrible space sim there is outside of Evochron Mercenary, Freespace 2, Xwing vs. Tie fighter and oldschool wing commander are greater then anything X or independence war could ever hope to achieve.

31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 12:41 Graham

Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 00:17:

Hey, I love space sims as much as the next guy but Roberts has given me a real snakeoil salesman vibe that's only gotten worse.

Can you go into detail as to why you feel this way? What has he done, specifically, that is giving you a "real snakeoil salesman vibe"?

30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 11:47 Optional Nickname!

Quboid wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 11:35:
Star Citizen without the MMO/persistent stuff is just an inferior X Rebirth.

Time will tell, but X Rebirth is inferior already by being crippled with SteamDRM and Star Citizen isn't.

29. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 11:35 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 09:00:
Quboid wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 08:34:
Some people spending thousands of dollars on a game that isn't playable. This has all the hallmarks of a bubble and bubbles burst.

I don't mean that if this bombs it will be the end of crowd funding or even the end of big $10M+ projects but a lot of people will be older and wiser. Something shiny by someone well known will still get attention because we're essentially just magpies with wallets but even magpies learn. I guess. I don't know, I didn't think through that metaphor. But in general I think people would become more cautious. Such is the nature of new markets.

I have mixed feelings about this product, on the one hand I cant wait to get my hands on a gorgeous space simulation that has all the hallmarks of the best sandbox games and the best campaigns out there. On the other the whole MMO/persistent universe pitch feels like a horrible, terrible money grab of the worst fucking kind. Even if its nothing of the sort, it will still take away valuable resources, time and money from the story/single player experience and most importantly the design decisions regarding missions/quests/NPC interactions will have to be designed completely differently to acomodate that. You see if this had remained a single player sandbox type game, no one. And I mean NO ONE but the most hardcore fanatics would have bought into these 1000$+ ships bullshit....after all, what good is a virtual e-peen pissing contest if no one else can see your virtual cock?

From what I've seen, which in actual terms of how good the games actually are isn't much, Star Citizen without the MMO/persistent stuff is just an inferior X Rebirth. There's plenty of room for 2 space sims on the PC (ironically Egosoft don't feel the need to bang on about being a PC developer) but the online stuff might be good and make the game more interesting. Or it may indeed be a horrible cash grab.

- Quboid

28. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 11:18 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 23:54:
Limit Theory looks interesting, made by one guy so it might be a long time coming.

Heh. I bet Josh has released his game long before Elite or Star Citizen (the full version) see the light of day. That guy is a coding machine.

27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 11:16 Creston

I'm beginning to wonder if these numbers are actually true or not. Every week (basically), he adds another million bucks? Since the average pledge is 70 dollars, that means that every week they convince 15000 new people to sign up for the game, week after week after week? When no other kickstarter gets more than 60-70K backers?

I'm skeptical. I think he's just using investor money to make the game, and keeps saying that they keep getting more funding so he can stop people from worrying about investors fucking shit up.

Even so, it shouldn't have much of an effect on development itself, and I still hope that it'll be as awesome as he makes it out to be.

26. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 09:32 FU

"It wouldn't be the right for me NOT to separate a fool from his money."
read that in a finance book

25. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 09:00 InBlack

Quboid wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 08:34:
Some people spending thousands of dollars on a game that isn't playable. This has all the hallmarks of a bubble and bubbles burst.

I don't mean that if this bombs it will be the end of crowd funding or even the end of big $10M+ projects but a lot of people will be older and wiser. Something shiny by someone well known will still get attention because we're essentially just magpies with wallets but even magpies learn. I guess. I don't know, I didn't think through that metaphor. But in general I think people would become more cautious. Such is the nature of new markets.

I have mixed feelings about this product, on the one hand I cant wait to get my hands on a gorgeous space simulation that has all the hallmarks of the best sandbox games and the best campaigns out there. On the other the whole MMO/persistent universe pitch feels like a horrible, terrible money grab of the worst fucking kind. Even if its nothing of the sort, it will still take away valuable resources, time and money from the story/single player experience and most importantly the design decisions regarding missions/quests/NPC interactions will have to be designed completely differently to acomodate that. You see if this had remained a single player sandbox type game, no one. And I mean NO ONE but the most hardcore fanatics would have bought into these 1000$+ ships bullshit....after all, what good is a virtual e-peen pissing contest if no one else can see your virtual cock?

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2013, 09:08.

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 08:34 Quboid

- Quboid

23. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 08:02 Dmitri_M

datachasm wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 06:52:
bah...

what me worry? this guy made: wing commander, starlancer, & freelancer! consider these r&d for SC... freelancer hints at much more depth that was incomplete due to publisher intervention, which is gone with SC. hopefully Roberts will not become a George Lucas.

they are using cryengine3, as he pointed our in the last video they have crysis 3 functionality right out of the box. i believe the last video he alluded to the art assets being the largest amount of work facing them prior to the ks.

so i imagine most the design is done (what was left out of freelancer along with what has been dreamed up in the last 10 years), the engine is done and is a proven platform for FPS with vehicles.

cant wait!

Now get out there boy and buy another $5000 ship!

22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 06:52 datachasm

bah...

what me worry? this guy made: wing commander, starlancer, & freelancer! consider these r&d for SC... freelancer hints at much more depth that was incomplete due to publisher intervention, which is gone with SC. hopefully Roberts will not become a George Lucas.

they are using cryengine3, as he pointed our in the last video they have crysis 3 functionality right out of the box. i believe the last video he alluded to the art assets being the largest amount of work facing them prior to the ks.

so i imagine most the design is done (what was left out of freelancer along with what has been dreamed up in the last 10 years), the engine is done and is a proven platform for FPS with vehicles.

cant wait!

21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 27, 2013, 04:42 InBlack

Hookers and blow. Mark. My. Words!  

I have a nifty blue line!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo