Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 12:02 Flatline

Prez wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 11:50:
Verno wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 10:21:
Time is right for more active comment system moderation, youtube comments in particular were so awful I just stopped even looking.

I'm all for freedom of speech but many comments on forums around the web are just awful. I found her mention of mysoginy in a game about lawless gangsters to be ridiculous and stupid (it's sort of like warning that the game will have violence and cursing too. NO SHIT!) , but some of the shit that some people said about Carolyn Petit in the comments was just so low class it makes me wonder have humans lost the ability to empathize. And yeah, it's amazing that youtube still has comments active considering the toxic shit people write in their routinely. I'm for limiting speech on the web if the majority of it is vitriolic and hateful.

I've been known to troll and flame a little, but usually I aim it at folks that seem to be able to take and give. But even I don't go so low as some of the stuff on youtube and other sites. I don't mind a little bit of comment moderation. Even in the wild-west days of IRC back in the late 90's, while there were no rules, we *did* self-moderate.

I love freedom of speech and I love privacy, but let's be honest- these are privately run websites and self-policing at the community level can co-exist with freedom of speech and privacy. The thing about the internet is that you can always just go start a blog or go somewhere else if you want to spew hate and filth. It's not like we're running out of web pages.

Basically, the hands-off shit is not freedom, it's anarchy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 11:50 Prez

Verno wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 10:21:
Time is right for more active comment system moderation, youtube comments in particular were so awful I just stopped even looking.

I'm all for freedom of speech but many comments on forums around the web are just awful. I found her mention of mysoginy in a game about lawless gangsters to be ridiculous and stupid (it's sort of like warning that the game will have violence and cursing too. NO SHIT!) , but some of the shit that some people said about Carolyn Petit in the comments was just so low class it makes me wonder have humans lost the ability to empathize. And yeah, it's amazing that youtube still has comments active considering the toxic shit people write in there routinely. I'm for limiting speech on the web if the majority of it is vitriolic and hateful.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2013, 11:58.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. HBO Sep 26, 2013, 11:34 Cynips

They seem clueless as to http://hbonordic.com/ an online subscriptions-based streaming service. Sure, you notice their comparative lack of consumer service compared to Netflix, but they're there and learning.  
listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 10:34 KS

Well I hope not here -- I love ripping on new MMORPGs and their 3-power "action MMO" design.  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 10:21 Verno

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo