Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 20:41 Cutter

Prez wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 19:42:

I've got no issue with mild comment moderation, but there's plenty of sites that remove comments that are not offensive. And I don't tend to post there.

From what I've seen here, Blue only removes spam, offensive shit, and flame-baiting off topic crap like political garbage in unrelated gaming threads. And as far as I'm concerned I hope he keeps it up.

Blue's house, his rules. I've always respected it even though I haven't always agreed with it.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Think about it..... Sep 26, 2013, 20:40 Cutter

Scud wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 15:27:
Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 12:51:
If you walk into my place of business and I don't want to serve you I don't have to. Period. I can kick your ass out the door anytime I like. That's my right. People get to do what they want with the stuff they own. Don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

Well strictly speaking, no, I don't think it's legal to refuse service to someone on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, sexuality. Proving it of course is another matter all together, but if they can then you could be in for a real shitstorm.

No, discrimination is not legal, but reserving the right to refuse service doesn't qualify as such - though technically it could be construed that way when you think about it. But nope, you don't have to give a reason. I've refused service to people over the years for numerous reasons.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 20:38 Morga

Kotaku is a corrupt feminist gamer website, owned by Gawker Media which also operates the feminist Jezebel.  

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 19:42 Prez

I've got no issue with mild comment moderation, but there's plenty of sites that remove comments that are not offensive. And I don't tend to post there.

From what I've seen here, Blue only removes spam, offensive shit, and flame-baiting off topic crap like political garbage in unrelated gaming threads. And as far as I'm concerned I hope he keeps it up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: HBO Sep 26, 2013, 19:23 4D-Boxing

Cynips wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 11:34:
They seem clueless as to http://hbonordic.com/ an online subscriptions-based streaming service. Sure, you notice their comparative lack of consumer service compared to Netflix, but they're there and learning.

Thanks for the link. Hope they learn quick! Here (Canada) i have to pay for the movie network package to get HBO. I only want hbo to watch boxing. Since Showtine scored the best boxers and promoters, all the good fights are now on there channel so bye bye hbo for me. Showtime is packaged the cheaper superchannels (yes bad movies) but at least i save $15 per month.

Having hbo was almost like buying ppv fights since i have little interest in the shows. Yes, my lady loves Game of Thrones etc but she read the books which are even more hardcore and knows how it ends though the show did modify certain details. hbo would make more money here by banning this practice. Everyone i know dumped the movie network package cause like me they don't remember the last time they watched a movie of theirs.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 18:57 BobBob

It's a bit more complicated than that. Google.  

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 18:48 Redmask

BobBob wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 18:37:
What gender is that exactly?

What followed was as depressing a flood of vicious and hateful comments as you'll ever see, mostly of course directed at Petit because of her gender.

Emphasis mine.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 18:37 BobBob

From the article:

What followed was as depressing a flood of vicious and hateful comments as you'll ever see, mostly of course directed at Petit because of her gender.

What gender is that exactly?

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 18:24 Julio

Every day, freedoms are eroded - North Korea is closer than you think!

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 17:23 Prez

BobBob wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 15:30:
People who cry free speech need to read the First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html

Unless the moderator, company, or host is a member of Congress, there is no violation of the First Amendment.

I wasn't talking about Constitutionally-protected free speech, which as you say does not apply in privately hosted web forums. Nor am I in support of any kind of legislation against speech such as you see in the UK. The limitations on speech in web forums is at the discretion of the moderators, and on Blues the tone is generally pretty civil compared to the wild west of the internet like Youtube and Gamespot, so it can work. I am generally in support of the concept of freedom of speech on the internet - meaning everyone should be allowed to have their say - but only to the point that we're not allowing comments that call reviewers "fat doritos-munching cunts" (like Petit was) . I'm the first to say that some people need thicker skins when they get their panties in a twist over nothing, but that is WAY beyond the pale and completely unnecessary.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week Sep 26, 2013, 16:38 Clever Caviar

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 12:46:
Picard: "I understand what you've done here, Q, but I think the lesson could've been learned without the loss of 18 members of my crew."

Creston wrote, some time later:
"18 members, I might add, whose names I did not know, and were all of Yeoman rank!"

set replicators to red, pyjama level!

edit: let's spell folks' names correctly...

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 16:24 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 12:46:
Picard: "I understand what you've done here, Q, but I think the lesson could've been learned without the loss of 18 members of my crew."

"18 members, I might add, whose names I did not know, and were all of Yeoman rank!"

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 15:30 BobBob

People who cry free speech need to read the First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html

Unless the moderator, company, or host is a member of Congress, there is no violation of the First Amendment.

12. Re: Think about it..... Sep 26, 2013, 15:27 Scud

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 12:51:
If you walk into my place of business and I don't want to serve you I don't have to. Period. I can kick your ass out the door anytime I like. That's my right. People get to do what they want with the stuff they own. Don't like it, take your business elsewhere.
Well strictly speaking, no, I don't think it's legal to refuse service to someone on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, sexuality. Proving it of course is another matter all together, but if they can then you could be in for a real shitstorm.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 13:34 jdreyer

Wherein the rest of the world catches up with Blues News, 15 years later.

Other sites that have good comment sections: Anandtech, MaxPC, io9, balloon-juice, and slashfilm. The occasional flamewar erupts, but for the most part the discourse is interesting and often educational

Andrew Sullivan doesn't have a comment section, but he publishes prodigiously emails both supportive and critical of articles and opinions on the site.

Even here on Blues when a conversation goes off the rails (like when politics erupts on a non policial story), it stays fairly civil. I appreciate that.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: Think about it..... Sep 26, 2013, 12:51 Cutter

Shataan wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 12:42:
I understand totally about there being many distasteful comments. But these are not the real worry. Does anyone really feel that totalitarian control over public speech is the real answer????

If so, you better take off your blinders and look at other Countries around the world that do have totalitarian speech laws. Yeah the 1s where if you say something supposedly unacceptable, you are tortured and worse yet, you just disappear.

It all starts with someone complaining cause they don`t like what someone says. I truly shudder to think what the world I am leaving to my kids will be like. 1984 springs easilly to mind.

The Governement is not pro active, they are reactive. Be freaking careful what you ask for. And remember well that YOUR Country can EASILLY turn into something like China, N Korea, Russia etc etc etc.... all ya gotta do is start the ball rolling. Heck, the ball is already rolling by the looks of things.

How does a private company moderating their property equate to big brother? Start a blog and criticize away in that case, no one's stopping you. Go to other sites - like their competitors - and complain about them. I'm sure they'd love that. Protected speech isn't being stifled in any way here because its never applied in the first place. If you walk into my place of business and I don't want to serve you I don't have to. Period. I can kick your ass out the door anytime I like. That's my right. People get to do what they want with the stuff they own. Don't like it, take your business elsewhere.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 12:46 Cutter

A) Implement an ignore function. Most sites it's work to put people on ignore. All they need to do is make it easy like an MMO with a context click. Problem solved. Otherwise people will just sign up with another email and get right back at it. Trying to moderate the billions of people on the planet is a fool's errand.

B) Grow a thicker skin. Sticks and stones as it were.

Q: "That was a difficult admission. Another man would have been humiliated to say those words. Another man would have rather died than ask for help."

Q: "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires, both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

8. Think about it..... Sep 26, 2013, 12:42 Shataan

I understand totally about there being many distasteful comments. But these are not the real worry. Does anyone really feel that totalitarian control over public speech is the real answer????

If so, you better take off your blinders and look at other Countries around the world that do have totalitarian speech laws. Yeah the 1s where if you say something supposedly unacceptable, you are tortured and worse yet, you just disappear.

It all starts with someone complaining cause they don`t like what someone says. I truly shudder to think what the world I am leaving to my kids will be like. 1984 springs easilly to mind.

The Governement is not pro active, they are reactive. Be freaking careful what you ask for. And remember well that YOUR Country can EASILLY turn into something like China, N Korea, Russia etc etc etc.... all ya gotta do is start the ball rolling. Heck, the ball is already rolling by the looks of things.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 12:31 LittleMe

Flatline wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 12:02:
Basically, the hands-off shit is not freedom, it's anarchy.

It's would be irresponsible, not anarchy. In anarchy, people will act more responsibly because Big Brother isn't going to come to their rescue when they act irresponsibly.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 12:26 LittleMe

Prez wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 11:50:
I'm for limiting speech on the web if the majority of it is vitriolic and hateful.

It depends on how it's done. Freedom of speech is a freedom from government censorship or prohibition, not private. For example, YouTube has every right to moderate comments there. My fear is that ambitious politicians might start another war on the Internet, this time on comments they deem 'hateful' or whatever. That would be an insane response to insanity where nothing would improve but instead get worse.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo