Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 1, 2013, 16:22 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 13:25:
And who determines what's hateful? You? The rest of the liberal thought police?

Liberals stole my babies! Wahhh! I'm starting to think you are just one in disguise trying to hurt conservatives by making them look bad. Clever girl!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 1, 2013, 13:25 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 08:53:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 01:44:

Nobody would ever say that though. Is there anybody who would argue that anonymity is only used for good?
You set up a strawman and made a point against it.

Anonymity is a very important aspect of discourse.
Just ask Silence Dogood... Actually, Richard Saunders... Er, Anthony Afterwit... I mean, Polly Baker... Benjamin Franklin.

I'm not going to support any attempts to curtail it. Anyone operating a forum for discussion can run it however they wish of course. Which leads me to the rest of your post which seemed to be more about censorship/banning which isn't really the same discussion. I'm very much against that as well but an operator can censor without removing anonymous/aliased posting.

Almost like taking a quote out of context and setting up your own point against it. I'm talking about curtailing hateful internet speech, trolling and other stupidity on private forums and websites. I notice a lot of it hides in offtopic religious and political rhetoric and that people will often register multiple places to spread it. I think anonymity allows them to do it more frequently and aggressively. As for censorship, we do it everywhere in society already, we're just less honest with ourselves about what we're doing.

What is your argument here, that government will use that against the people somehow? I hadn't really considered that but I'm not sure how it pertains to discourse on private websites. I understand the importance of anonymity in civil discourse between citizens and its government, particularly with how it pertains to voting but I think that's a slightly different topic and that the ship sailed on that with the advent of big identity farms like FB.

And who determines what's hateful? You? The rest of the liberal thought police?

43. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 28, 2013, 08:53 Redmask

Sepharo wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 01:44:

Nobody would ever say that though. Is there anybody who would argue that anonymity is only used for good?

Just ask Silence Dogood... Actually, Richard Saunders... Er, Anthony Afterwit... I mean, Polly Baker... Benjamin Franklin.

I'm not going to support any attempts to curtail it. Anyone operating a forum for discussion can run it however they wish of course. Which leads me to the rest of your post which seemed to be more about censorship/banning which isn't really the same discussion. I'm very much against that as well but an operator can censor without removing anonymous/aliased posting.

Almost like taking a quote out of context and setting up your own point against it. I'm talking about curtailing hateful internet speech, trolling and other stupidity on private forums and websites. I notice a lot of it hides in offtopic religious and political rhetoric and that people will often register multiple places to spread it. I think anonymity allows them to do it more frequently and aggressively. As for censorship, we do it everywhere in society already, we're just less honest with ourselves about what we're doing.

What is your argument here, that government will use that against the people somehow? I hadn't really considered that but I'm not sure how it pertains to discourse on private websites. I understand the importance of anonymity in civil discourse between citizens and its government, particularly with how it pertains to voting but I think that's a slightly different topic and that the ship sailed on that with the advent of big identity farms like FB.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2013, 09:30.

42. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 28, 2013, 01:44 Sepharo

41. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 23:43 Redmask

I don't know, I was just glossing over his and several other posts at once. Points stand with or without that quote snipe.  

40. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 22:28 Sepharo

Redmask wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 07:05:
InBlack wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 06:29:
I for one can live with with semi-anonymous trolls, if that means that the internet remains censorship free. Thick skin and all that, I mean seriously if internet trolls get your panties in a bunch, then how the fuck do you even walk out of your door to face Real Life every single day?

So I have to disagree with you that anonymity on the internet is purely a force of good.

Where the hell did he say that?

39. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 17:35 BobBob

Thick skin and all that, I mean seriously if internet trolls get your panties in a bunch, then how the fuck do you even walk out of your door to face Real Life every single day?

A real person is likely to get punched in the face.

38. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 15:45 Redmask

Issues with your big mouth whining about liberals inappropriately everywhere tend to have a cause and effect too.  

37. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 15:13 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 09:16:
fill young impressionable children's heads with politically correct liberal bullshit.

You never learn with the agenda bullshit.

Issues in society tend to have a cause and effect. There are reasons people are so "entitled" feeling these days just as one example.

When people discuss topics, examples from political ideologies are often used as reasons why things have changed or what is different.

36. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 14:01 Verno

See? Totally unrepentant, he will never change.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

35. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 13:42 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 09:16:
fill young impressionable children's heads with politically correct liberal bullshit.

Nope just stating why personal responsibility is lost these days. I see it in action almost daily. And it's directly responsible for alot of the whole entitlement mentality as well.

34. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 11:23 Creston

I for one can live with with semi-anonymous trolls, if that means that the internet remains censorship free. Thick skin and all that, I mean seriously if internet trolls get your panties in a bunch, then how the fuck do you even walk out of your door to face Real Life every single day?

In real life, I'm armed!

33. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 09:16 Verno

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2013, 09:25.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

32. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 08:53 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 07:05:

In Real Life people are called to account for their words by society and you have an identity that gets your actions and words attached to it. On the internet you register another user name with a different email and move on. This is why many people who would otherwise do nothing in real life will sit there on the internet saying the most disgusting shit imaginable.

So I have to disagree with you that anonymity on the internet is purely a force of good. There are many positive sides to it but there are some pretty large negative ones as well, we see it on here all the time with several political themed authors who do nothing but spin their bizarre personal obsessions and who incessantly call everyone else names. Having a thick skin is great and all but maybe some people should have a smaller mouth. There are people who come here to do nothing but act out, those people should be fucking banned. Instead I give them a taste of their own medicice because if they're allowed to exist and the rest of us have to tolerate their incessant bullshit every day then by god I won't let them have a good time doing it

In real life half the time people aren't held accountable either. That's what happens when you stop teaching personal responsibility as being important, and fill young impressionable children's heads with politically correct liberal bullshit.

Everyone puts forth their own twist on things, that's what discussion and forums are there for, to Discuss. It really does suck that there are people who want others banned or censored for having a difference of opinion. And that is the very definition of censorship.

31. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 07:05 Redmask

In Real Life people are called to account for their words by society and you have an identity that gets your actions and words attached to it. On the internet you register another user name with a different email and move on. This is why many people who would otherwise do nothing in real life will sit there on the internet saying the most disgusting shit imaginable.

So I have to disagree with you that anonymity on the internet is purely a force of good. There are many positive sides to it but there are some pretty large negative ones as well, we see it on here all the time with several political themed authors who do nothing but spin their bizarre personal obsessions and who incessantly call everyone else names. Having a thick skin is great and all but maybe some people should have a smaller mouth. There are people who come here to do nothing but act out, those people should be fucking banned. Instead I give them a taste of their own medicice because if they're allowed to exist and the rest of us have to tolerate their incessant bullshit every day then by god I won't let them have a good time doing it

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2013, 07:16.

30. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 06:29 InBlack

One old parable comes to mind, whether you believe in hell or just a horrible real version of it that seems to be what we are heading for on this damn planet: The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 22:06 Quboid

Warskull wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 21:01:
Morga wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 20:38:
Kotaku is a corrupt feminist gamer website, owned by Gawker Media which also operates the feminist Jezebel.

Or perhaps Gawker is just a lazy site that hires low quality writers and has their sites churn out crappy click bait.

All of gawkers sites are shitty in unique ways. Kotaku dedicates way too much effort and article space to sexy cosplay to be feminist. They are only "feminist" when stirring up controversy might get them some clicks.

Gawker just write what gets clicks and they don't appear to care about anything else. Didn't they post that ridiculous date-with-gamer article on their gaming site? It wasn't fit to be on any site but they have more appropriate ones. They troll for money, which pretty much makes them whores in the classic meaning of the word.

- Quboid

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 21:29 BobBob

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 20:41:
Blue's house, his rules. I've always respected it even though I haven't always agreed with it.

I got banned here once for excessive trolling. I deserved it. I pleaded with Blue to let me back and he did. I love this site and the community. Blue himself is great and deserves a lot of respect. I realize I tread the fence quite often. I'm just a highly opinionated person. I'm sure I even seem anti-gamer. It's not the case. I hate consoles, MMOs, and basically anything that creates brainless, basement dwelling, obese zombies. I really like FPS games or anything that requires developing skill. I believe if a game or hobby interferes with a person's ability to personally grow, physical health, or the ability to make real-life friends, it has to go -- I'm looking at you MMOs.

... /end rambling

27. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 21:01 Warskull

Kotaku is a corrupt feminist gamer website, owned by Gawker Media which also operates the feminist Jezebel.

Or perhaps Gawker is just a lazy site that hires low quality writers and has their sites churn out crappy click bait.

All of gawkers sites are shitty in unique ways. Kotaku dedicates way too much effort and article space to sexy cosplay to be feminist. They are only "feminist" when stirring up controversy might get them some clicks.

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 26, 2013, 20:44 nin

Looking at your post history, you clearly have issues.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo