Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had some discomfort in my mouth that was getting worse, so I went to the dentist yesterday to check it out, and ended up with a root canal for my troubles. The doctor asked if I had any health changes or something that might help understand why a tooth that looks fine on an X-Ray taken in January would have decayed so much, but we could come up with no explanation, other than this supports my mom's contention that amid all the positive traits I inherited from her I also got some pretty bad teeth. Anyway, I'm glad I decided to take care of this before it became an emergency, as the discomfort is minimal, so I think I can stop taking the painkillers already (on a related note, apologies for the two stories that were each posted twice here last night).

Comfortable Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Jewelanche 2.
Sift Heads Cartels: Act 2.
Links: Indie bookstores on the rise.
10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Thanks nin.
14 Things You Probably Never Knew About Pee-wee's Big Adventure.
Stories: 10-Inch Pacu, Testicle-Eating Fish, Caught In Passaic, New Jersey.
Man Attempts to Pay Water Bill with Crack Cocaine: Deputies.
Science: Real-Time Strategy Game Training: Emergence of a Cognitive Flexibility Trait.
Scientists create never-before-seen form of matter.
First mind-controlled bionic leg a 'groundbreaking' advance.
Follow-up: Deep sea ecosystem may take decades to recover from Deepwater Horizon spill.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 Creston

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 03:04:
"Battlecruiser will be the best game you ever play, and be bug free," said Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Hehe.

Oh God, you totally went there...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 Creston

Blue wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 23:02:
Sorry about the problems, hopefully they will be addressed soon enough.

No worries. Thanks for looking into it!

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2013, 10:57 Mr. Tact

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 16:39:
Scare tactics are fun.
Yeah, that's me -- trying to unreasonably scare people. Stop people from using acetaminophen and get them using the pain killer I make. Oh, I guess I better invent that soon...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2013, 03:30 El Pit

Blue, I hope you're alright, because those double postings and wrong date (NO NEED TO APOLOGISE!) give me the feeling that you're really sick. Get well soon, Blue.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2013, 03:04 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 20:16:
maleitch wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 18:05:
Cute. Now that the enviro scare mongers have been proven wrong yet again concerning the local effects of the Deepwater Horizon spill they resort to a new tact to ramp up manufactured crisis and funding by coming out with this "deep sea ecosystem" crap.

Idiot eviro-fascists and their supporters who make these childish claims should suffer a class action lawsuit when they never come to fruition.

"The tremendous biodiversity of meiofauna in the deep­sea area of the Gulf of Mexico we studied has been reduced dramatically,” said Jeff Baguley, Ph.D., University of Nevada"

Yeah, what does some idiot with a Ph.D. know? Tell us about your credentials, we're all ears. Please, educate us.

"Battlecruiser will be the best game you ever play, and be bug free," said Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Hehe.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 23:02  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 19:01:
Blue, I was still getting the white space issue, I installed an ad-blocker and it went away - so your thoughts on the issue are true.

Ads I show active on the page.
Facebook Social Plugins
Google +1
Google Analytics
Intergi (*assuming it is this one)

Yeah, I was told today that they are actively working on addressing this and the ads that have been popping out on mouseover. Sorry about the problems, hopefully they will be addressed soon enough.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 20:16 Cutter

Cute. Now that the enviro scare mongers have been proven wrong yet again concerning the local effects of the Deepwater Horizon spill they resort to a new tact to ramp up manufactured crisis and funding by coming out with this "deep sea ecosystem" crap.

Idiot eviro-fascists and their supporters who make these childish claims should suffer a class action lawsuit when they never come to fruition.

"The tremendous biodiversity of meiofauna in the deep­sea area of the Gulf of Mexico we studied has been reduced dramatically,” said Jeff Baguley, Ph.D., University of Nevada"

Yeah, what does some idiot with a Ph.D. know? Tell us about your credentials, we're all ears. Please, educate us.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 20:15 Bhruic

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 12:48:
So...guys, X-Rebirth is on for $37.50 on GMG, promokey: GMG25-J4B0D-FLH8M

Thanks, used the code and have my pre-order!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 19:01 xXBatmanXx

Blue, I was still getting the white space issue, I installed an ad-blocker and it went away - so your thoughts on the issue are true.

Ads I show active on the page.
Facebook Social Plugins
Google +1
Google Analytics
Intergi (*assuming it is this one)

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 18:55 nin

Redmask wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 18:51:

What are you going on about? This was part of a study performed by the NOAA and several different universities.

It's seriously time for a house cleaning...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 18:51 Redmask

What are you going on about? This was part of a study performed by the NOAA and several different universities.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 18:05 maleitch

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 17:26 DrSquick

Thanks for posting the full podcast, very interesting how fine of a line it is between the "maximum recommended dose" and the level at which liver damage occurs. It's only a couple pills too much.

One thing that was driving me bonkers with that podcast though was the background music... It seemed so out of place to have deep bassy background music with doctors talking in the foreground.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 17:09 Hoop

If you don't look after your teeth & gums then read this, it's a good incentive to start.
http://goo.gl/a8gV0L
On another note our mild Winter has turnned into a gloomy succession of September Spring Storms. Shitballs!

Um .. Behind you...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 16:39 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 13:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 10:07:
Never take more than the recommended dosage of acetaminophen. EVER.

That holds true for most medicines, to be honest. Quite a few of them are actually toxic to your body.

As for acetaminophen, some girl in Holland committed suicide somewhere in the 90s by swallowing a bunch of paracetamol (which is basically the same thing.) painkillers.

According to the news story at the time, it took her over a week to die, and it was agony for her the whole way through... Don't OD on these things.

Scare tactics are fun.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 16:32 Cutter

Testicle eating fish? Sounds like my ex! BOOM!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 15:37 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 14:14:
No one is saying the drug needs to be pulled. But more stringent dosing instructions need to be put on all versions of the medication.

I don't want it pulled. It's by far the best drug (for me) against pain and fever. Then again, if they pulled it here it wouldn't matter, as I have my parents send me an over-the-counter version from Holland.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 15:25 BobBob

I have never had a cavity.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 14:14 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 13:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 10:07:
Never take more than the recommended dosage of acetaminophen. EVER.

That holds true for most medicines, to be honest. Quite a few of them are actually toxic to your body.
That is certainly accurate. But the small amount over the recommended dose being able to cause major problems with an over the counter drug that the vast majority of people believe is "safe". Actually, the more concerning thing was the children and infant versions. It turns out that the infant version is for non-intuitive reasons more concentrated than the children's version. The idea being it's so difficult to get an infant to swallow the drug, you don't want to have to make them swallow a lot to be effective. And this fact is unknown by most people including many doctors. The dosage instructions for both are "See your doctor."

No one is saying the drug needs to be pulled. But more stringent dosing instructions need to be put on all versions of the medication.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 14:12 DrSquick

Thanks! I usually hate pre-ordering games, but I loved X3:TC so much that I can't pass it up for $37.  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo