Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Machines Announced

The second announcement of Valve's promised three announcements is live, following news of plans for SteamOS with details on Steam Machines, a "powerful new category of living-room hardware" they say is "on the horizon." Join the hardware beta now. Choose the model right for you in 2014. They describe plans for a variety of such machines coming from several partners to account for differing needs, and outline a Valve Prototype, saying they are shipping 300 of these free to Steam users to test. They outline how to qualify as a tester and also have a FAQ covering the topic. The FAQ indicates that some games will use "in-home streaming," saying Steam Machines can play: "The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming." Here's word on testing:

While these products are still in development, we need your help. As always, we believe the best way to ensure that the right products are getting made is to let people try them out and then make changes as we go. We have designed a high-performance prototype thatís optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, itís also completely upgradable and open.

This year weíre shipping just 300 of these boxes to Steam users, free of charge, for testing. You can make yourself eligible to get one. How? Read on!

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

13. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:37 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:35:
A living room PC is nice for party gaming and watching series or movies, but yeah, just plug your laptop or get a cheap PC... If you have a non-cheap PC, chances are you're a hardcore PC gamer and you'd rather do your serious gaming on a desk.

I don't know, if I can have one box in the family room to play games, use XBMC, run Netflix and etc then I'm going for it. I can absolutely see what they're going for here, a good form factor HTPC that runs their own OS so that if Microsoft shits the bed in the future or continues down their current road of stupidity then Valve has a backup plan. Just makes sense.

My comment goes for USB cables too. Cables can easily be fixed to run along skirting boards. That's what I've done. It really isn't hard and I didn't need to buy a Steam Machine.

That is pretty silly, very few people are going to run USB cables like that to facilitate something that would be more easily accomplished by something like this. It's fine to say you don't get it or whatever but to expect people to go to those lengths because you did isn't realistic.

Some of you seem to feel threatened by this and think it's going to replace your desktop and that's not the case. Steam continues to exist the exact same way it has this entire time, nothing changes, its literally text in their FAQ.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:36 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:33:
Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:28:
This may come as a shocking revelation to you but HDMI and other graphics cables are available in multiple lengths often of many many meters that will easily reach any TV.

You still need input nearby even with wireless. The long cord thing works fine for apartments mostly but it's a pain in houses, I know because I've done it.
My comment goes for USB cables too. Cables can easily be fixed to run along skirting boards. That's what I've done. It really isn't hard and I didn't need to buy a Steam Machine.

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:33:
As it says in the FAQ if you're not interested in this then just keep using Steam the same way you do. They think there is a growing market segment here, whether they are right or wrong is something only that time will answer.
I've had coworkers telling me all day that this is going to be the next Xbox. I'm kind of primed to be hard on this.

I also feel this is further chipping away at the PC + keyboard mouse gaming by a company that was founded and funded by people who still happen to control the majority of their games this way.

11. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:36 Steele Johnson

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:30:

But hey there are probably casuals that will just jump to conclusions and assume couch beats all. I guess.

Yeah, those casuals are already using consoles that support more games than Steam. lol

10. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:35 wtf_man

Announcement #3... HL3 will be a SteamOs / Steam Machine exclusive. Devil  

9. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:35 ItBurn

A living room PC is nice for party gaming and watching series or movies, but yeah, just plug your laptop or get a cheap PC... If you have a non-cheap PC, chances are you're a hardcore PC gamer and you'd rather do your serious gaming on a desk.  

8. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:33 Verno

This may come as a shocking revelation to you but HDMI and other graphics cables are available in multiple lengths often of many many meters that will easily reach any TV.

You still need input nearby even with wireless. The long cord thing works fine for apartments mostly but it's a pain in houses, I know because I've done it.

As it says in the FAQ if you're not interested in this then just keep using Steam the same way you do. They think there is a growing market segment here, whether they are right or wrong is something only that time will answer.

As much as Gabe hates MS, all he's doing is creating another Zune for games. lol

I don't think Gabe will make the shipping hardware brown so we're probably fine on that count.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:32 Steele Johnson

So..a box where I can sit on my couch and access my steam library and play them with a gamepad? My steam games are on my PC for a reason. Most I do not want to play sitting on a couch. And if I want to I plug in my Xbox for Windows controller and make do with that and hmdi to my projector.

Who will purchase this? Console gamers aren't going to migrate from the major brands for the same ports delayed by weeks/months. I see maybe a couple of 100 000 selling at best.

Not to mention, only games that use Steam. This is ridiculous. They should be working on the next Half-Life or something useful. The world doesn't need another OS. Geeze, you could even build your on Steam OS if you don't want to use Windows by using a Linux box and installing Steam. lol

6. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:30 HorrorScope

With the mega details they just released.... sigh. What's the news here? Didn't we know they were working on a Steam Box. Well this just reassures it, doesn't tell us power/features/cost.

Yeah I did living room gaming on the PC years ago, way ahead... it's more a novelty. I realized a desk with a good chair and being close to everything made for a better environment and it's still comfy. I don't relate my pc gaming exp. as painful in any way.

But hey there are probably casuals that will just jump to conclusions and assume couch beats all. I guess.

5. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:28 Dmitri_M

So..a box where I can sit on my couch and access my steam library and play them with a gamepad? My steam games are on my PC for a reason. Most I do not want to play sitting on a couch. And if I want to I plug in my Xbox for Windows controller and make do with that and hmdi to my projector.

Who will purchase this? Console gamers aren't going to migrate from the major brands for the same ports delayed by weeks/months. I see maybe a couple of 100 000 selling at best.

Yakubs wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:23:
This may be a shocking revelation for you but get this -- not all people have their gaming PC located within five feet of their TV.

4. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:27 Steele Johnson

I actually don't know any pc gamers who even want to play in their living room. And if they do, they probably know how to hook the darn thing up! If you're a 'real' pc gamer, you already have the screen size you need in your study or bedroom sitting on a desk where there's a keyboard and mouse.

This really is just another console OS that will need more apps to be useful. Don't we have too many of those already? Why are they wasting their money on this crap when they should be working on new games? You'll see come New Years 2015 that they'll make the "failed tech of the year" list. As much as Gabe hates MS, all he's doing is creating another Zune for games. lol

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2013, 15:33.

3. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:27 ItBurn

Yakubs wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:23:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:18:
This is basically what I'm thinking: http://i.imgur.com/O71Xrgx.gif

So I don't see any value for me. Perhaps it's all about making non-PC gamers think(falsely, because it IS PC gaming, but with less features, because of the limited OS) that this is easier than PC gaming?

This may be a shocking revelation for you but get this -- not all people have their gaming PC located within five feet of their TV.

This may be a shocking revelation for you but get this -- you can buy a normal PC and locate it within five feet from your TV.

My point is, why buy a Steam machine and have less applications that work on it rather than just installing windows on a machine. Saving the price of Windows I guess?

2. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:23 Yakubs

ItBurn wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:18:

So I don't see any value for me. Perhaps it's all about making non-PC gamers think(falsely, because it IS PC gaming, but with less features, because of the limited OS) that this is easier than PC gaming?

1. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:18 ItBurn

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo