Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Machines Announced

The second announcement of Valve's promised three announcements is live, following news of plans for SteamOS with details on Steam Machines, a "powerful new category of living-room hardware" they say is "on the horizon." Join the hardware beta now. Choose the model right for you in 2014. They describe plans for a variety of such machines coming from several partners to account for differing needs, and outline a Valve Prototype, saying they are shipping 300 of these free to Steam users to test. They outline how to qualify as a tester and also have a FAQ covering the topic. The FAQ indicates that some games will use "in-home streaming," saying Steam Machines can play: "The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming." Here's word on testing:

While these products are still in development, we need your help. As always, we believe the best way to ensure that the right products are getting made is to let people try them out and then make changes as we go. We have designed a high-performance prototype thatís optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, itís also completely upgradable and open.

This year weíre shipping just 300 of these boxes to Steam users, free of charge, for testing. You can make yourself eligible to get one. How? Read on!

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

33. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:11 DangerDog

Really though, if you want to play your PC games in the living room just move your PC to it, form factors are so small now and you're hooking up HDMI which also carries audio and video to a receiver and a power cord, mouse and keyboard could be handled wireless.

It's not like you would have this huge mess of cables to deal with like before. If you don't want to move a PC from one room to another then just build a dedicated box, you're going to need one for SteamOS anyway and so you're only saving $50 off the cost of a build, Windows would still offer a better experience for a media center type device.

By the time Valve gets this thing going people are already going to be fixated with their preferred console or media streaming device and have little interest in a most likely expensive "Oyua".

Where is that Oculus Rift thing and when is it going to be released?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:11 Redmask

Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:00:
I still don't understand the Microsoft hate. I'm starting to be convinced that it's just fashionable Hipster trend to hate MS. Period.

You're fucking deluded. Microsoft has done nothing but shit on PC gaming for the past several years. They would have even shit canned DirectX long ago if it didn't serve a purpose for consoles.

I don't need a living room computer setup but I would definitely check out SteamOS on my desktop PC.

31. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:10 Kosumo

Steam Machine for the living room? That should help with my ironing. My clothes are gonna look so cresless! Curtain

30. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:05 ItBurn

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:54:
I best go buy a few more 100# bags of rice. I think I'll need to hedge tarvation from a crash than Windows becoming abandoned any time soon and well MS is seeing a close wall isn't really going to work this far along. But if that is the reason or not, it's an option, just one I doubt I'll use. I think I have more a niche for the NVidia Streaming Gamepad than this. I have the cables all in place to move my PC to the projector just behind it now... I do that rarely.

I don't know, I appreciate alternatives and Microsoft has been an extremely neglectful and at times hostile parent to gaming on the PC. I am glad someone is offering an alternative as customization and choice has always been the strength of the PC.

I still don't understand the Microsoft hate. I'm starting to be convinced that it's just fashionable Hipster trend to hate MS. Period. The whole Win8 thing is blown way out of proportion.

Step 1: Find the Desktop tile and load it.
Step 2: Install a 3rd party Start Menu if you're really that lazy.
Step 3: Reboot.

That's it! Looks and runs just like Win7. In fact, some of my games actually perform better. PC gamers who hate Windows because of those silly reasons are just annoying Hipsters to me. Get a job or something. lol

My hate for MS has nothing to do with Windows 8(well it added to it). They've been SCREWING PC gamers over for years. Constantly making terrible decisions, releasing horrible products and trying to kill PC gaming.

29. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:03 HorrorScope

The whole Win8 thing is blown way out of proportion.

That's it! Looks and runs just like Win7. In fact, some of my games actually perform better. PC gamers who hate Windows because of those silly reasons are just annoying Hipsters to me. Get a job or something. lol

That is true, son recd a laptop with it, loaded the desktop/starmenu freeware. Never looked back. Win7+

28. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:02 Verno

I still don't understand the Microsoft hate. I'm starting to be convinced that it's just fashionable Hipster trend to hate MS. Period. The whole Win8 thing is blown way out of proportion.

I know you were just trolling but I didn't even reference Windows 8 in my post. I guess you've forgotten the decade of neglect in terms of software support, half-baked initiatives like GFWL and so on. That's ok, some of us still remember that Microsofts main priority with regards to gaming is the Xbox, not the PC.

As for Windows 8 I am indifferent. It is a very minor upgrade from Windows 7 so I don't "hate" it or something but it doesn't do much to justify an upgrade nor does it seem to entice the masses to keep buying PCs instead of tablets.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

27. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:00 Steele Johnson

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:54:
I best go buy a few more 100# bags of rice. I think I'll need to hedge tarvation from a crash than Windows becoming abandoned any time soon and well MS is seeing a close wall isn't really going to work this far along. But if that is the reason or not, it's an option, just one I doubt I'll use. I think I have more a niche for the NVidia Streaming Gamepad than this. I have the cables all in place to move my PC to the projector just behind it now... I do that rarely.

I don't know, I appreciate alternatives and Microsoft has been an extremely neglectful and at times hostile parent to gaming on the PC. I am glad someone is offering an alternative as customization and choice has always been the strength of the PC.

26. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:58 Cutter

OMG, like whatever, Gabe. Just, like, bring on HL3 already. Okaw?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:54 Verno

24. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:53 Steele Johnson

wtf_man wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:40:
Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:38:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:35:
Announcement #3... HL3 will be a SteamOs / Steam Machine exclusive. Devil

Right, and no one will crack the game to work on Windows. lol

If we're talking native linux... that will be rather hard to do... it would call for a full community port.

Well if it's 100% native, I agree. But if that's the case, it wouldn't be hard to crack if for straight Linux, and you can easily run a Linux vm on a Windows machine.

23. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:50 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:43:
It is basically a hedging strategy from Valve in case Windows goes tits up or Microsoft tries to mandate a store.

22. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:48 Verno

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:45:
Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:37:
I don't know, if I can have one box in the family room to play games, use XBMC, run Netflix and etc then I'm going for it.

Don't we already have that? Right now we have unlimited choices pretty much of HW And SW we can setup.

Not in a seamless way, no. HTPC stuff is a bit of a mess. It took me significant scripting and stuff to get everything working fine with remote and KB/M. If I could just build for myself then it would be easier but family friendly solutions are difficult.

Maybe you're not much a of hardware guy or something but for me, running some cheap cables is pretty straight forward. Cheaper than buying additional system. Simpler than having my games located on two devices.

I have no problems running cables, most people do however.

21. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:47 Dmitri_M

That is pretty silly
Running some cheap cables is pretty straight forward. Cheaper than buying an additional system. Simpler than having my games located on two devices. I've been doing it for 10 years. You not catching on to something so simple make me wonder if you're not perhaps a little silly in the head?

20. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:45 HorrorScope

I don't know, if I can have one box in the family room to play games, use XBMC, run Netflix and etc then I'm going for it.

Don't we already have that? Right now we have unlimited choices pretty much of HW And SW we can setup.

I'm not against this, just not sure if it's a big deal.

19. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:43 Verno

I agree. More mouse hate.

Errr no, it will run any input peripheral you want. SteamOS will run just fine on a regular desktop anyway, it's not strictly for living room stuff. You can customize it, hack it, install whatever you want, it's a full blown Linux distro that will probably run standard debian packages or something. It is basically a hedging strategy from Valve in case Windows goes tits up or Microsoft tries to mandate a store.

There are obviously many people who buy prebuilt gaming rigs judging by all of the specialty companies out there, this is more for that target market IMO.

18. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:43 HorrorScope

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:36:
I also feel this is further chipping away at the PC + keyboard mouse gaming by a company that was founded and funded by people who still happen to control the majority of their games this way.

I agree. More mouse hate.

17. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:41 DangerDog

2014, which when going by Valve time means 2015 or later.

No price and no hardware specs, anything less than an Intel Iris Pro 5200 or equivilant would be a waste of time. I have no need for running PC games in a living room environment as a hybrid streaming console, I imagine most people that want to do this already have their PC in the living room or have some sort of arrangement to run the cables.

It is cool that this initiative seems to be giving Linux a little more limelight, I didn't realize that Nvidia was being assholes about driver support and suddenly they've had a change of heart and want to help the Linux community. That's the only fringe benefit that Linux desktop users will see, this whole steambox project isn't going to mainstream Linux for desktop use over windows, not anymore than an Android tablet does.

16. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:40 wtf_man

Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:38:

If we're talking native linux... that will be rather hard to do... it would call for a full community port.

15. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:38 Steele Johnson

14. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:38 jacobvandy

Bigger news IMO is that you can apply to be a beta tester for Valve's prototype hardware by completing a simple Steam badge. It takes like 5 minutes (requires a gamepad, though) and you have 30 days to do it. There will probably end up being at least a few hundred thousand people in the pool, though, so your chances of being one of those 300 is pretty small... On the bright side, that's 150 free XP for your Steam account.  

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo