Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Machines Announced

The second announcement of Valve's promised three announcements is live, following news of plans for SteamOS with details on Steam Machines, a "powerful new category of living-room hardware" they say is "on the horizon." Join the hardware beta now. Choose the model right for you in 2014. They describe plans for a variety of such machines coming from several partners to account for differing needs, and outline a Valve Prototype, saying they are shipping 300 of these free to Steam users to test. They outline how to qualify as a tester and also have a FAQ covering the topic. The FAQ indicates that some games will use "in-home streaming," saying Steam Machines can play: "The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming." Here's word on testing:

While these products are still in development, we need your help. As always, we believe the best way to ensure that the right products are getting made is to let people try them out and then make changes as we go. We have designed a high-performance prototype thatís optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, itís also completely upgradable and open.

This year weíre shipping just 300 of these boxes to Steam users, free of charge, for testing. You can make yourself eligible to get one. How? Read on!

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

53. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:29 ForgedReality

All the threes. It's so obvious the game they're announcing on Friday is Half-Life 3, or Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

A trifecta of announcements. 300 chosen to beta test. "Nearly 3,000 games on Steam." Three reasons they went with Linux.

Valve, you're so clever. I love you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:22 Fibrocyte

All the crying and naysaying in this thread is hilarious (but par for the Bluesnews course).

51. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:21 ForgedReality

Jivaro wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:46:
Just dropping this here...

http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg

HL3 bundled with new GTX 880's? I was planning on buying one anyway. Bonus!

50. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:16 2nd_floor

zombiefan wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:00:
What a huge clusterfuck and a waste of resources. We could have been playing Half-Life 4 by now...

Fuck you Valve.

Oh dear, haha, too funny.

49. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:15 2nd_floor

PHJF wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:57:
Man alive is this some boring shit outta Valve.

Haha.

48. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:05 ForgedReality

zombiefan wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:00:
What a huge clusterfuck and a waste of resources. We could have been playing Half-Life 4 by now...

Fuck you Valve.

Well just be thankful that HL3 will be coming out with Source 2.

47. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:04 Redmask

Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:39:
If you can't back it up with solid examples, then you're just another lazy Hipster.

You failed to provide a single example of something they've done for PC gmaing so I think you're actually the lazy hipster here. Maybe you can do a little dance on a board room with your Surface tablet.

Games for Windows Live. A piece of shit that they not only failed to improve but are now shuttering entirely, I'm not sure what is worse. Their new aim for gaming on the Windows platform is an Xbox app and the Windows store. Using their publishing wing to keep titles on the consoles and completely failing to leverage the PC platform. The few exceptions are mostly experiments or tie-ins. They also try use financial muscle to keep DLC content often tied to a console or timed exclusive.

More to the point, what have they done for PC gaming? DirectX is about all I can think of and I strongly suspect it would be done like dinner if it didn't serve a purpose for their console efforts. They basically provide an operating system and nothing else. Acting like people owe them anything when you're paying money for it is fucking stupid and people have every right to criticize them for their various mistakes and at times purposeful shitting on PC gamers.

46. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:00 zombiefan

Fuck you Valve.

45. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:57 PHJF

Man alive is this some boring shit outta Valve.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

44. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:51 Carcifier

If no consoles had ever existed, and Microsoft and Sony announced the Xbox1 & PS4 as the first ever consoles, you guys would shit all over it saying "What do we need those for, they're not as powerful as a PC. I already have a better gaming PC. There aren't as many games available as there are for my PC. It uses a gamepad? My keyboard and mouse is better than that. etc, etc."

Just like when Steam was released and everyone shit on it.

I'm glad there are others releasing alternatives. Look at the mess Microsoft tried to stuff down our throats. If Sony didn't release the PS4, it would have landed the way it was originally announced to.

43. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:46 Drayth

On top of looking symbolic of representing something that involves the first two announcements, O+O looks like a pair of glasses... just sayin'

42. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:46 Jivaro

Just dropping this here...

http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg

41. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:43 Steele Johnson

Frijoles wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:17:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:11:
Where is that Oculus Rift thing and when is it going to be released?

2014, as they've always said. Slender supports it now. It's awesome, in a shit-your-pants sort of way.

That's a very good point. Let's say Oculus Rift eventually becomes stand-alone, which most likely it will. Do all the anti-MS hipsters expect MS to help prevent people from switching to that platform too? lol

40. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:39 Steele Johnson

Redmask wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:11:
Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:00:
I still don't understand the Microsoft hate. I'm starting to be convinced that it's just fashionable Hipster trend to hate MS. Period.

You're fucking deluded. Microsoft has done nothing but shit on PC gaming for the past several years. They would have even shit canned DirectX long ago if it didn't serve a purpose for consoles.

I don't need a living room computer setup but I would definitely check out SteamOS on my desktop PC.

If you can't back it up with solid examples, then you're just another lazy Hipster.

39. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:38 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:54:
I best go buy a few more 100# bags of rice. I think I'll need to hedge tarvation from a crash than Windows becoming abandoned any time soon and well MS is seeing a close wall isn't really going to work this far along. But if that is the reason or not, it's an option, just one I doubt I'll use. I think I have more a niche for the NVidia Streaming Gamepad than this. I have the cables all in place to move my PC to the projector just behind it now... I do that rarely.

I don't know, I appreciate alternatives and Microsoft has been an extremely neglectful and at times hostile parent to gaming on the PC. I am glad someone is offering an alternative as customization and choice has always been the strength of the PC.

Right, I'm not relying on MS to do anything to make games better other than supply a very stable O/S, they finally have. If they done this a long time ago, Apple PC's would have had a resurgence. And I'm relying on Direct X improvements. That be about it.

Now my PC'ing isn't all about the O/S or games even. There is a lot of great software out there for all kinds or subjects and reasons. Really for me now, I'm to the point I need an O/S that is 100% compatible with windows and better to make the move. Linux not saying is bad at all but is it good enough to make up for the loss of software? For home use... I'm concluding no. Steam will have a huge software disadvantage as well... Not seeing what will make it better than Win 7, let alone taking an available software hit.

38. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:37 Steele Johnson

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:02:
Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:00:
I still don't understand the Microsoft hate. I'm starting to be convinced that it's just fashionable Hipster trend to hate MS. Period. The whole Win8 thing is blown way out of proportion.

I know you were just trolling but I didn't even reference Windows 8 in my post. I guess you've forgotten the decade of neglect in terms of software support, half-baked initiatives like GFWL and so on. That's ok, some of us still remember that Microsofts main priority with regards to gaming is the Xbox, not the PC.

As for Windows 8 I am indifferent. It is a very minor upgrade from Windows 7 so I don't "hate" it or something but it doesn't do much to justify an upgrade nor does it seem to entice the masses to keep buying PCs instead of tablets.

I wasn't trolling. PC gamers who constantly blame MS for all their woes are the trolls. GFW didn't affect me at all in any way. I still installed and played all pc games the same way I've been doing it for the past 20 years. I don't know what "and so on" means. Sounds like you're making a lame attempt to make them seem worse, like the lazy Hipster would do. I think you forget that MS provides some of the best development tooling there is when compared to other OS vendors. Trust me, I program on almost all platforms and MS by far (light years) has the best tools for development. How is that neglect to support games and application development? MS can't advocate which platform to use for gaming. Sure, they're in the console business, but they still provide the tools for any game dev to build on Windows. Also, it's not MS's initiative to prevent people from preferring tablets over desktop pcs. That's like saying a washboard vendor should innovate to prevent people from switching to washing machines. Tablets are simply more convenient to the average consumer, that's why they're on that path (in fact, I believe their path is better than both Google and Apple's, but that's another story). I do agree that MS needs to step up their game when it comes to innovation in technology in general, but so doesn't all the other big tech companies. Anyhow, I've opened up the same boring argument again when it's really just a Hipster fashion trend that hopefully will die soon.

37. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:22 ForgedReality

You guys don't mind having to go back to shitty OpenGL? Direct3D has always been better in terms of support and graphical innovation. On some occasions, OGL has run better, but only because it doesn't support nearly the amount of shit that DirectX does. I can't imagine SteamBox looking or playing as spectacularly as my Win7 box with PhysX and everything.  

36. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:20 DangerDog

ItBurn wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:05:
My hate for MS has nothing to do with Windows 8(well it added to it). They've been SCREWING PC gamers over for years. Constantly making terrible decisions, releasing horrible products and trying to kill PC gaming.

How is Gabe making things better for traditional desktop PC gamers with this device? If you extrapolate his goals out to their ultimate best case scenario that he would like to achieve, what would that look like?

He would like people to stop using Windows and switch over to his Linux based console environment, not unlike Sony does with a PS4 or Google with their rumored console device - or even Microsoft with their Xbox.

35. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:17 Frijoles

DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:11:
Where is that Oculus Rift thing and when is it going to be released?

2014, as they've always said. Slender supports it now. It's awesome, in a shit-your-pants sort of way.

34. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:16 Frijoles

I like the idea and will probably buy one. I have a lot of smaller almost flash-like indie games in Steam that work well with a controller. I wouldn't mind playing them with my kids. And I'm not going to run a wire across my house, even if the wife would let me. Guess it just depends on the prices.  

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo