Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Machines Announced

The second announcement of Valve's promised three announcements is live, following news of plans for SteamOS with details on Steam Machines, a "powerful new category of living-room hardware" they say is "on the horizon." Join the hardware beta now. Choose the model right for you in 2014. They describe plans for a variety of such machines coming from several partners to account for differing needs, and outline a Valve Prototype, saying they are shipping 300 of these free to Steam users to test. They outline how to qualify as a tester and also have a FAQ covering the topic. The FAQ indicates that some games will use "in-home streaming," saying Steam Machines can play: "The nearly 3,000 games on Steam. Hundreds already running natively on the SteamOS, with more to come. The rest will work seamlessly via in-home streaming." Here's word on testing:

While these products are still in development, we need your help. As always, we believe the best way to ensure that the right products are getting made is to let people try them out and then make changes as we go. We have designed a high-performance prototype thatís optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, itís also completely upgradable and open.

This year weíre shipping just 300 of these boxes to Steam users, free of charge, for testing. You can make yourself eligible to get one. How? Read on!

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

73. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 19:48 Jivaro

dubfanatic wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 19:42:
Hey guys, hardcore PC gamer and Blue's News commenter here. For various reasons, I'm incapable of understanding the perspectives of others. Also, I have a huge sense of self-importance, even though my life's greatest achievement was being named Taco Bell #4853 Employee of the Month for June 2010. Due to these two things, and that I don't have a use case for Steam OS, I feel correct in making the blanket statement that Valve is wasting their time developing this. Since I have no idea how corporations delegate tasks and assign resources, I believe that this effort is taking development time away from a game that I want to play. Finally, because PC gaming is the only thing I actually enjoy in my pathetic farce of a life, I am absolutely livid about this.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! Please note I have absolutely no interest in debating any of my positions.

I got all the way to the end before I realized you were being sarcastic...it sounded so normal all the way up until you said you didn't want to debate it...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 19:42 dubfanatic

Hey guys, hardcore PC gamer and Blue's News commenter here. For various reasons, I'm incapable of understanding the perspectives of others. Also, I have a huge sense of self-importance, even though my life's greatest achievement was being named Taco Bell #4853 Employee of the Month for June 2010. Due to these two things, and that I don't have a use case for Steam OS, I feel correct in making the blanket statement that Valve is wasting their time developing this. Since I have no idea how corporations delegate tasks and assign resources, I believe that this effort is taking development time away from a game that I want to play. Finally, because PC gaming is the only thing I actually enjoy in my pathetic farce of a life, I am absolutely livid about this.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! Please note I have absolutely no interest in debating any of my positions.

71. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 19:28 Deathbishop

I love how some on here immediately dismiss something once the words 'couch' and 'tv' enter the conversation, because damn you if you remove the PC gamer from the holy mecca of the desk and monitor.

This is about choices and that's a good thing. My kid loves to play games on my PC but she'd rather do it on the tv then sit at a monitor. And no, I'm not dragging my PC back and forth from desk to right next to the TV.

70. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 19:14 Redmask

noman wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 18:33:
I disagree completely. Building a lite gaming OS would be one thing but creating a heavily restricted environment designed to push a digital store and DRM technology is not the same. This is more akin to a console, and I'd rather have my Windows PC connect to an HDTV, where Steam, Origin, Uplay, and more importantly GoG, Kickstarter and HumbleBundle acquired games all work on even grounds.

No it's not, it's a completely open platform. It's a Linux distribution that will have fully available source and be completely open to change, go read up on it on the web site. Steam is just the app that will load first in the window manager. It is the exact opposite of a closed console.

69. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:52 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:29:
All the threes. It's so obvious the game they're announcing on Friday is Half-Life 3, or Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

A trifecta of announcements. 300 chosen to beta test. "Nearly 3,000 games on Steam." Three reasons they went with Linux.

Valve, you're so clever. I love you.

Hahahaha. Great observation. Guess we find out tomorrow.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

68. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:48 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:46:
Just dropping this here...

http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg

Heh.

67. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:33 noman

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 18:20:
Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:54:
I don't know, I appreciate alternatives and Microsoft has been an extremely neglectful and at times hostile parent to gaming on the PC. I am glad someone is offering an alternative as customization and choice has always been the strength of the PC.

What Vern said.

I disagree completely. Building a lite gaming OS would be one thing but creating a heavily restricted environment designed to push a digital store and DRM technology is not the same. This is more akin to a console, and I'd rather have my Windows PC connect to an HDTV, where Steam, Origin, Uplay, and more importantly GoG, Kickstarter and HumbleBundle acquired games all work on even grounds.

66. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:28 yuastnav

Drayth wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 18:05:
Ricochet: Source

This. THIS. *crosses fingers*

65. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:28 noman

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:46:
Wow, this is coming along more quickly than I would have thought. Well, the hardware is pretty easy, but an O/S is not something you just whip up.

SteamOS is basically Ubuntu Linux distro with some tweaks. AMD and nVidia have half-way decent drivers on linux for a while. The rest of all the functions Valve talk about are mostly application level stuff that could easily be integrated in Steam client. They already have Steam running on Linux.

It's not that as if they are modifying major parts of an OS kernel, let alone writing one from scratch.

64. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:20 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:54:
I don't know, I appreciate alternatives and Microsoft has been an extremely neglectful and at times hostile parent to gaming on the PC. I am glad someone is offering an alternative as customization and choice has always been the strength of the PC.

What Vern said.

63. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:13 jdreyer

wtf_man wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:35:
Announcement #3... HL3 will be a SteamOs / Steam Machine exclusive. Devil

Not exclusive, but free on Steam OS?

62. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 18:05 Drayth

Ricochet: Source  

61. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:54 ForgedReality

Just letting you guys know that today there were three updates released. One for Half-Life: Source, one for Half-Life 2, and one for Half-Life: Source Beta. Among the list of changes is "Added support for Linux and Mac OS X operating systems" for HL:S, and "Improved threaded performance on Linux and Mac OS X" in the case of HL2.

Is there still any question as to what Friday's announcement includes?

60. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:49 DangerDog

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:40:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:31:

4chan? Okay, if that's really someone from Valve, what is said most likely isn't a stretch to the imagination but I think they would get a lot more support if they were doing something on the desktop and not the living room. Saying that you can run anything you want on SteamOS or transform it into a desktop environment (maybe or maybe not) isn't quite the Windows replacement everyone dreams of having.

Pretty sure that's not the goal. The goal is to create an amazing gaming platform. Not to replace the PC and all that it can do. Along with that goal comes driving the market forward and getting distributors to re-think their current strategies in terms of PC gamers instead of assuming it's a dead market. Hopefully. If it ever gains ground.

So far I'm not convinced, they tease about input solutions so hopefully it isn't just the rumored console game controller with biometric feedback, are we back to arguing about which is better mouse and keyboard vs console controller yet?

59. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:46 jdreyer

Wow, this is coming along more quickly than I would have thought. Well, the hardware is pretty easy, but an O/S is not something you just whip up.  

58. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:44 MajorD

Okay, so I am 1 for 1 with this announcement following the initial/first announcement. If I end up being correct with 2 for 2, then the next announcement will be Half-Life 3. If not HL3, then some type of tracking peripheral.

57. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:41 ForgedReality

PHJF wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:40:
No it's clearly a new Orange box with three threes in it:

Half-Life 3
Left 4 Dead 3
Portal 3

If this were true, I would easily buy three of them on launch day and give you one.

56. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:40 ForgedReality

DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:31:

4chan? Okay, if that's really someone from Valve, what is said most likely isn't a stretch to the imagination but I think they would get a lot more support if they were doing something on the desktop and not the living room. Saying that you can run anything you want on SteamOS or transform it into a desktop environment (maybe or maybe not) isn't quite the Windows replacement everyone dreams of having.

Pretty sure that's not the goal. The goal is to create an amazing gaming platform. Not to replace the PC and all that it can do. Along with that goal comes driving the market forward and getting distributors to re-think their current strategies in terms of PC gamers instead of assuming it's a dead market. Hopefully. If it ever gains ground.

55. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:40 PHJF

No it's clearly a new Orange box with three threes in it:

Half-Life 3
Left 4 Dead 3
Portal 3

Steam + PSN: PHJF

54. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:31 DangerDog

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo