Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stardock Lawsuits Settled

The lawsuits between Alexandra Miseta and Stardock Corporation have been settled out-of-court, reports Kotaku, saying the court has dismissed both cases with prejudice, so they cannot be reopened. Part of the settlement is a letter of apology from Ms. Miseta, who sued Stardock CEO Brad Wardell for sexual harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination shortly before Stardock sued her for deleting their analytics and marketing data before leaving the company without notice. Brad Wardell tells the site that no money changed hands in this, but that each side dropped their case contingent on the apology, which he says represents "vindication." Thanks nin.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 08:29 Burrito of Peace

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 22:56:
I said "might" - a word of nuance - the stuff you obviously don't comprehend.

Look, grab your joystick and go shoot the bad robot, adults are talking.

Get the fuck off my lawn, kid. I was playing Adventure and Zork on Microdata mainframes well before your father was spanking it to the Sears catalog.

The nuance is that the market doesn't give a damn about your attempt at literary pedantic attempts at back pedaling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 07:30 Sepharo

InBlack wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 06:40:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 05:26:
InBlack wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 05:10:
Well if someone claimed sexual harassement against you, and yet there was no harassement what would you call that?

Once again, where are you getting this from? Are you confused about what a settlement means?

No Im perfectly clear about what a settlement means. Are you clear on who stands to benefit most from having these two cases dismissed? Because that is where Im getting my 'lying bitch' from. Of course there is no way I can be sure of that, just like there is no way that you can be sure that Brad Wardell did sexually harass this woman. Im just thinking that this is the most likely explanation for the events that played out.

I interned at Stardock in 2007 and because it was my first time working in an office I distinctly remember being surprised at the way Brad talked about Alexandra (though I don't think she was in earshot at the time). I even remember remarking to friends outside of work something along the lines of, "Well I guess (borderline) sexual harassment is alive and well in the office workplace." Now having worked at 3 offices since then I see and hear stuff like that all the time, it's not rare and it no longer shocks me. It's rarer that it's done to such a degree that it prompts a lawsuit but little things here and there are likely in every workplace. These comments I overheard at Stardock were not in front of me or even in the same room, I shared an office with another developer but Brad was a loud talker and I frequently overheard conversations in the hall (or maybe it was a nearby office).

Brad is a great guy, I know he'll probably read this. I invite him to search my posting history here and see that I've only ever had nice positive things to say about Stardock and him. I appreciate him giving me the internship that jump-started started my career. But he does say inappropriate things and he's admitted this himself on more than one occasion. There's no need to whitewash the situation. I'll direct you to Miseta's letter and his response in case you've forgotten or have never seen them, the letters are a little less than half way down this page.

Here's a highlight from Brad's response to Alexandra:

I am an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar, and embarrassing person and I'm not inclined to change my behavior. If this is a problem, you will need to find another job.

It's not up to me to judge what is or is not considered sexual harassment. That's up to the person reporting it, possibly HR, and the court. But I do know when someone says something that's inappropriate for the workplace and I do know that I heard it from Brad's mouth about Alexandra. Stardock was a relaxed workplace, I was told to stop wearing a button up shirt and to start wearing a t-shirt. Brad (at least in 2007) was a president and CEO who was always among his employees. He played board games in the lunchroom with them, took us to a movie during the workday (Pirates 3 I believe ) and raised bees behind the building... But I don't believe a relaxed workplace excuses inappropriate comments bordering on sexual harassment.

37. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 07:29 Redmask

Given that he publicly admitted inappropriate behavior on a forum in several posts attempting to defend himself, Occam's Razor would seem to go the other way than you're thinking here.  

36. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 07:28 Julio

Morga wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 06:13:
She got away with her scandalous behaviour too easily.

Brad (allegedly since he's probably one of you guys) harassed her, she wiped out some data. They're even. Brad would have not have dropped the lawsuit if he didn't have some risk of losing against her.

If he doesn't have enough game to find his own women, and has to hit on his employees that's just sad. Almost every guy who manages employees of the gender they're interested in knows better.

35. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 06:40 InBlack

Sepharo wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 05:26:
Well if someone claimed sexual harassement against you, and yet there was no harassement what would you call that?

Once again, where are you getting this from? Are you confused about what a settlement means?

No Im perfectly clear about what a settlement means. Are you clear on who stands to benefit most from having these two cases dismissed? Because that is where Im getting my 'lying bitch' from. Of course there is no way I can be sure of that, just like there is no way that you can be sure that Brad Wardell did sexually harass this woman. Im just thinking that this is the most likely explanation for the events that played out.

I have a nifty blue line!

34. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 06:13 Morga

Sepharo wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 06:08:
Wardell decided to dismiss that lawsuit with prejudice in exchange for Miseta dismissing her lawsuit with prejudice and writing an apology letter that you can read at the Kotaku link in this news post.

Reading is tough. But I believe in you guys.

I know that Sepharo, but I disagree with this settlement. She got away with her scandalous behaviour too easily.

33. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 06:08 Sepharo

Morga wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 05:59:
She should've at least paid all damages for deleting the company's marketing and analytic data.

Wardell decided to dismiss that lawsuit with prejudice in exchange for Miseta dismissing her lawsuit with prejudice and writing an apology letter that you can read at the Kotaku link in this news post.

Reading is tough. But I believe in you guys.

32. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 05:59 Morga

Darks wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 19:56:
You said it dude, this is a case where she got fired and decided to lash out crying sexual harassment because she's a women and thinks that she can get away with it. Its a typical case of cry rape and prove you didn't do it when its supposed to be innocent until proven.

Yes, many innocent men's lives have been ruined by false abuse and rape allegations. False rape allegations without proof destroy innocent men's lives, careers and reputation.
An estimated 41% of rape allegations are false.

False rape and abuse allegations also make it more dangerous for business owners to hire women.

False accusations are also used during divorce by the ex-wife to gain advantages with divorce and sole-custody of the children and cut the father out of their lives.

The secret and corrupt family courts often consider men as guilty first with abuse accusations even without proof.

Stardock sued her for deleting their analytics and marketing data before leaving the company without notice

She should've at least paid all damages for deleting the company's marketing and analytic data. And also if there's no evidence of sexual harassment.

A famous false rape allegation case is Brian Banks:

Banks, 27, signed with the Falcons on Wednesday, giving him an opportunity he said he did not believe would be possible when he spent five years in prison and five years on probation following his conviction of rape and kidnapping charges a decade ago.
Gibson recanted her claim and offered to help Banks clear his name after he was out of prison. That helped lead to the conviction being overturned by a California court and Banks' record cleared on May 12, 2012.
"It's almost impossible to explain, the feeling of not having freedom, to be stripped away of your freedom, of your dignity, the respect you once had," he said. "To lose it all and watch the world pass you by as you sit inside a prison cell, knowing you shouldn't be there, knowing you're there because of another person's lies, to lose it all and then get it all back, it's a very humbling, spiritual feeling that you just don't want to take anything for granted.

Link

False rape and abuse accusers are punished very lightly.

The problem of sentencing disparities is compounded by an epidemic of false accusations:

205 (and growing) wrongly convicted people have been exonerated by DNA evidence since the beginning of the Innocence Project.

204 of the wrongly convicted were men.

Most of them were falsely imprisoned for rape.

Link

As we saw in the Duke Lacrosse rape case fiasco, false accusers are rarely prosecuted and when they are it is only as a misdemeanor (at most), while rape itself is vigorously prosecuted as a felony. The Duke false accuser, Crystal Gayle Mangum went on to commit assault, arson and finally murder before authorities made a good faith intervention.

One attorney speaking at premiere for the movie, After Innocence, estimates that there are between 20,000 and 100,000 wrongly convicted still in prison.

Valid research puts the estimated false rape reporting rate at 41%

Source: Link

Link

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2013, 06:06.

31. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 05:26 Sepharo

30. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 05:21 dj LiTh

Well if someone claimed sexual harassement against you, and yet there was no harassement what would you call that? Also why would she destroy Stardock's property if not to cover something up? Think of it this way, what would have happened to Ms. Miseta had she NOT claimed sexual harassement? We are all speculating here, and dealing with incomplete information but when in doubt just use Occam's razor, more often than not the simplest explnation is the one that happens to be true.

Except in this case there actually was sexual harassment proven by Brad's own fingers posting a retelling of what happend on various forums.

29. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 05:16 Dmitri_M

It's amazing how many Blues posters are personal friends with Brad Wardell.  

28. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 05:10 InBlack

Well if someone claimed sexual harassement against you, and yet there was no harassement what would you call that? Also why would she destroy Stardock's property if not to cover something up? Think of it this way, what would have happened to Ms. Miseta had she NOT claimed sexual harassement? We are all speculating here, and dealing with incomplete information but when in doubt just use Occam's razor, more often than not the simplest explnation is the one that happens to be true.  

27. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 04:24 Sepharo

InBlack wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 04:04:
so she steals and deletes analytics and marketing data (probably to cover up for her own failings) and then cries wolf to get some extra severance pay or at least as insurance against litigation. Which appears to have worked. At a risk of being called a chauvinist, fuck that lying bitch.

I don't see where people are getting the "lying" stuff from. Wardell admitted that he says inappropriate things in the office. Miseta agreed to call off her own lawsuit because there was no way she could win against Stardock's (unrelated in court) lawsuit. She wrote an apology letter that did not recant her claims of sexual harassment and did not admit willful destruction of Stardock property, it simply said she was sorry for the way things turned out. That apology letter was required by Stardock/Wardell for them to drop their lawsuit against her. "Dismissed with prejudice" in these lawsuits were a stipulation of the settlement negotiations not necessarily a determination of the judge(s).

26. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 25, 2013, 04:04 InBlack

so she steals and deletes analytics and marketing data (probably to cover up for her own failings) and then cries wolf to get some extra severance pay or at least as insurance against litigation. Which appears to have worked. At a risk of being called a chauvinist, fuck that lying bitch.  

25. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 23:08 Mashiki Amiketo

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 22:56:

Sorry that's sexually nuanced, and as such sexual harassment.

: /sarc

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 22:56 Silicon Avatar

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 20:15:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 19:59:
Get more women in the game industry and you might have more nuanced characters.

Right, because only women can write nuanced, intelligent and complex characters with depth. Way to play the gender retard card.

How about people just stop buying shitty games with cardboard cutouts for characters and instead buy games with the depth of storytelling one gets from a quality book?

Oh, yeah, that's because the majority of the market doesn't give a fuck. Ergo, a product is developed for the largest share of consumers who will buy it.

I said "might" - a word of nuance - the stuff you obviously don't comprehend.

23. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 21:32 Jivaro

That's why I referred to the outcome as simply "interesting". It isn't like he didn't harass her (he basically admitted that), but it isn't like she didn't knowingly fuck over the entire company because of his behavior. The outcome is the result of the court telling both children to go to their room. At least that's how it appears to me. The apology is more for Stardock's benefit I would imagine. They probably want to hire women in the future without the shroud of having been complacent in sexual harassment hanging over them. I can't blame them for that.

Whether you put sexual harassment on the same level as deleting company files (or vice versa) is a totally different discussion...and now a largely irrelevant one.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2013, 21:41.

22. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 21:28 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 21:23:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 21:10:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 20:04:
Sexual harassment is still sexual harassment and it is up to the individual to determine whether they consider it acceptable. Brad's behaviour was absolutely disgusting and I think she was completely justified in what she did.

Is there a consensus about what he did? Last I recall, it was more a he-said-she-said situation.

This is a guy who went onto forums to defend himself and started out with things like 'sure i make sex jokes at work but anyone will tell you thats just who i am'.

Yeah, that's not good.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

21. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 21:24 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 19:56:
Its a typical case of cry rape and prove you didn't do it when its supposed to be innocent until proven.

Well, while fake allegations are difficult to quantify, they hardly seem "typical." Consensus seems to be around 8%, which means a lot more women are being raped that falsely accusing of rape. Just sayin'

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 24, 2013, 21:23 Redmask

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 21:10:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 20:04:
Sexual harassment is still sexual harassment and it is up to the individual to determine whether they consider it acceptable. Brad's behaviour was absolutely disgusting and I think she was completely justified in what she did.

Is there a consensus about what he did? Last I recall, it was more a he-said-she-said situation.

This is a guy who went onto forums to defend himself and started out with things like 'sure i make sex jokes at work but anyone will tell you thats just who i am'.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo