Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics

There's an NVIDIA Interview on PC PowerPlay Magazine titled "The Sky Isnít Falling," as it hears from NVIDIA's Tony Tamasi about graphics cards, who tells them: "Itís no longer possible for a console to be a better or more capable graphics platform than the PC." Surprisingly, he says one of the reasons for this is that the console giants don't have the cash to compete in this area:

By the time of the Xbox 360 and PS3, the consoles were on par with the PC. If you look inside those boxes, theyíre both powered by graphics technology by AMD or NVIDIA, because by that time all the graphics innovation was being done by PC graphics companies. NVIDIA spends 1.5 billion US dollars per year on research and development in graphics, every year, and in the course of a consoleís lifecycle weíll spend over 10 billion dollars into graphics research. Sony and Microsoft simply canít afford to spend that kind of money. They just donít have the investment capacity to match the PC guys; we can do it thanks to economy of scale, as we sell hundreds of millions of chips, year after year.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

13. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 11:19 ldonyo

nin wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:05:
So says the company who's chips aren't powering the newest consoles. Coincidence?

My thought as well. It rings of sour grapes and marbles taken home in spite.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 11:08 Shataan

Agreed. I can`t remember a console game yet that looked better than its PC counterpart. But boyos they sure put on a great marketing effort to sucker peeps into believing it. ;p  

11. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 11:01 Ludomancer

I don't recall any point in time when consoles threatened the quality of PCs, and I regularly play both.  

10. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 11:00 Techie714 ©

btallas wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:15:
Tell us something we don't know. The only time a console even comes close to PC graphics is the beginning of a new console generation. This upcoming new generation will probably be on par with PC graphics from a year or so ago.

This!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

9. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:52 avianflu

He's right of course.

But it isnt in the interest of any company that is in any way connected to the game industry to actually say that out loud -- and to the press no less.

8. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:45 Quinn

NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:21:
I find these kind of statements to be pointless because the average PC is running Intel integrated crap, not high end Nvidia or AMD cards.

...? It's time for the semantic yawn! Should he have said "high end gaming PC" to make his case instead? :\ No idea how your train of thought didn't derail before it manifested itself into your comment.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

7. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:40 ForgedReality

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:38:
While what Nvidia says is true, in reality the best GPU isn't gonna mean shit if you need 1000 artists employed for 3 to 5 years to make a big AAA title.

What's limiting graphics isn't the GPU, it's the cost, time and manpower needed to make that superior looking gfx...

There is no ecomony of scale when it comes to modeling or texturing.

It's this but I think more so that PC games are all ported from consoles these days, so there's no real improvement since it was all written for 8 year old hardware.

6. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:39 ForgedReality

NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:21:
I find these kind of statements to be pointless because the average PC is running Intel integrated crap, not high end Nvidia or AMD cards.

They're talking about capability, not what the average PC sold to 60 year olds can do. That is a completely different market. Gamers have gaming PCs, not Dells.

MajorD wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:11:
Unless significant noticable advancement are made in the PC graphics chips during each console life cycle, people aren't really going to care. I really didn't see any huge WOW factor between the two during the last life cycle (360 & PS3).

Did you ever stop to ask why that is? Games are currently built for consoles. They don't come CLOSE to what a PC can do. Nobody is writing code for PC, so the top of the line is never seen until the next generation of consoles, and by then it's the last generation on PC, and nobody can really max out their hardware. Blame the distributors.

5. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:38 eRe4s3r

While what Nvidia says is true, in reality the best GPU isn't gonna mean shit if you need 1000 artists employed for 3 to 5 years to make a big AAA title.

What's limiting graphics isn't the GPU, it's the cost, time and manpower needed to make that superior looking gfx...

There is no ecomony of scale when it comes to modeling or texturing.

4. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:21 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:15 btallas

Tell us something we don't know. The only time a console even comes close to PC graphics is the beginning of a new console generation. This upcoming new generation will probably be on par with PC graphics from a year or so ago.  

2. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:11 MajorD

Unless significant noticable advancement are made in the PC graphics chips during each console life cycle, people aren't really going to care. I really didn't see any huge WOW factor between the two during the last life cycle (360 & PS3).

1. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 10:05 nin

So says the company who's chips aren't powering the newest consoles. Coincidence?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo