Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SteamOS Announced

The countdown on the Steam Living Room page has concluded, and this page has details on SteamOS, "available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room," the promised announcement about Valve's future plans for Linux and Steam. This is the first of three planned announcements on the topic, so expect more to come in about 48 hours when the next countdown concludes. Here's word:

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

30. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:40 SpectralMeat

ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:33:
ldonyo wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:29:
I brought Steam to my living room two years ago when I hooked my gaming PC to my home theater. It's been working fantastically ever since!

Exactly. Why deal with the several headaches of using this new OS if things already work great.
Because not everyone wants to bring their gaming PC to the living room

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:40 Verno

The streaming thing could be very promising if it works with minimal latency, also neatly solves many compatibility issues.

Exactly. Why deal with the several headaches of using this new OS if things already work great.

They're building for a very nebulous future where they might be welcome due to platform lock-in from owners with app stores and etc. It's not just about dealing with right now, this is bet hedging.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

28. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:33 ItBurn

ldonyo wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:29:
I brought Steam to my living room two years ago when I hooked my gaming PC to my home theater. It's been working fantastically ever since!

27. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:29 ldonyo

26. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:25 vrok

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:15:
vrok wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:00:
While in-house streaming of games is a cool feature, I don't see the point in TV/living room gaming in the first place. I spend all my entertainment money on my desktop PC for a reason. Why would I want to replace an optimal setup with sub-par stuff like a TV, sofa, gamepad and/or wireless keyboard/mouse?

What I really want from them is a desktop hardcore gaming Linux flavor.
Well, since SteamOS seems to be linux-based, and judging from the marketing, runs games better than windows, this announcement would be one giant nail in the windows-game-coffin.. IOW, if you want to make a game in the future, build it for SteamOS first.. Unless, well if you build a SteamOS* only game, it wont run on Windows-steam?

BTW: SteamOS, or for short: SOS. I'm sure rescue workers/orgs worldwide is thrilled to have the universal distress signal confused with a gaming platform
Call me pessimistic, but I think it's more probable that developers/publishers wouldn't care in the slightest about supporting SteamOS and simply tell you to stream it to SteamOS if you really want to play their game on it. Cater to the largest market with minimal effort and all that.

25. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:21 NegaDeath

Credit where its due for being ambitious but this does nothing for me. I'd rather they work on resolving long standing issues with the steam client.  

24. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:19 SpectralMeat

Windows 8 office webcam at the moment of SteamOS announcement:
http://youtu.be/SWtnwUPCX7A?t=7s

23. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:16 Tumbler

This is very exciting. I have a desktop pc that I"m not currently using. I look forward to wiping it and installing this on it.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

22. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:15 BicycleRepairMan

vrok wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:00:
While in-house streaming of games is a cool feature, I don't see the point in TV/living room gaming in the first place. I spend all my entertainment money on my desktop PC for a reason. Why would I want to replace an optimal setup with sub-par stuff like a TV, sofa, gamepad and/or wireless keyboard/mouse?

Well, since SteamOS seems to be linux-based, and judging from the marketing, runs games better than windows, this announcement would be one giant nail in the windows-game-coffin.. IOW, if you want to make a game in the future, build it for SteamOS first.. Unless, well if you build a SteamOS* only game, it wont run on Windows-steam?

BTW: SteamOS, or for short: SOS. I'm sure rescue workers/orgs worldwide is thrilled to have the universal distress signal confused with a gaming platform

21. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:05 BicycleRepairMan

"Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014"

HL3 CONFIRMED*

*(almost definitely not)

20. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:00 vrok

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2013, 14:06.

19. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:00 ItBurn

I have no idea why someone would use this. Why would I install and figure out this new OS that does a lot LESS, when I can already just use Steam on Windows? Plus, I own no Linux games.  

18. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:00 MajorD

It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Will the box (living room machine) be the next detailed 'planned announcement'? And what, Half-Life 3 'planned announcement' #3? 3 and 3, it makes sense, but yeah I know, wishful thinking.

17. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:51 Xil

its bascily the Vita TV but then for PC's

stream your windows/mac steam games to the thing to play them on your TV and install your linux steam games on them (as the OS is linux based) so no need to stream those.

16. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:46 nin

El Pit wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 13:43:
If they can make ALL windows games run on it, I will be very interested. If it's more like "turn your pc into a console and plug in a console controller", then I have to stay with Windows. But that's just my decision and opinion.

Depends on what the render is. openGl shouldn't be hard. But DX? I thought I'd heard of some hack workaround, but I admit I've not researched/tried it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:46 LittleMe

Yeah the focus needs to be on PC desktop gaming firstly since that's exactly what Steam is best at right now. Once they have the desktop PC gaming nailed then they can go for the casual living room gamer. Small steps...  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

14. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:43 El Pit

If they can make ALL windows games run on it, I will be very interested. If it's more like "turn your pc into a console and plug in a console controller", then I have to stay with Windows. But that's just my decision and opinion.

EDIT: Just read it. This won't be the case. To play Windows games, I will have to start one computer with windows and stream it to another pc running Steam OS. So, sorry, but not interested right now. This thing could and SHOULD evolve, though.

EDIT2: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There it is: a hideous console controller next to the cat in the picture. Keyboard and mouse or GO AWAY! Not only cats love mice, you know.

http://cdn3.store.steampowered.com/public/images/promo/livingroom/home_bg.jpg

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2013, 13:53.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

13. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:43 Techie714 ©

Nice! I'm excited  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

12. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:41 Jago

This may be a dumb question, but what hardware will it need to run?  

11. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:40 SpectralMeat

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 13:34:
Now if they were doing a full OS that meant we didn't have to deal with MS ever again then I'd be excited.
Maybe that is their second announcement
Seriously though, if this works out for them I don't see why they wouldn't release a full OS for the desktop.
My desktop PC at home is pretty much exclusively used for gaming and some web browsing, so a SteamOS type of deal would be awesome for that.

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo