Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SteamOS Announced

The countdown on the Steam Living Room page has concluded, and this page has details on SteamOS, "available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room," the promised announcement about Valve's future plans for Linux and Steam. This is the first of three planned announcements on the topic, so expect more to come in about 48 hours when the next countdown concludes. Here's word:

As weve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, weve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

50. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:41 jdreyer

nin wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:11:
Akelm88 wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:08:
Imagine if the 3rd announcement was Half Life 3 exclusive to SteamOS. That's my personal nightmare........crazy, yes.....but Valve is fearless if they are anything.

I wondered that as well, but then I remembered I've lost all interest in HL.

Oh, come on. Just because it's had a long development cycle doesn't mean it won't be fantastic and amazing. Look at Duke Nukem 3D and A:CM... Oh, wait.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:35 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:21:
Credit where its due for being ambitious but this does nothing for me. I'd rather they work on resolving long standing issues with the steam client.

Sorry, not "fun" or "exciting" like making a new OS.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

48. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:26 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:22:
At the end of the day it's about having enough content to entice people to make the switch to your platform.

There are around 3500 games on Steam. If what he says is true, that several hundred of them are already running on SteamOS natively, then they undoubtedly have a team working on porting as many of them as possible.

Also, if you get an OS with 50 million users, devs/pubs are more likely to support you straight out of the box. I think it'll catch on pretty well.

Whether it will conquer the living room, eh, that remains to be seen. Nobody is going to fork over 1100 dollars for a Steam Box, and quite frankly, considering that a PS4 costs 400 bucks, I fail to see why a Steam Box needs to be so expensive anyway.

47. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:22 DangerDog

Gabe really took offense to Microsoft plopping an app store in his backyard with Windows 8. I think he overreacted since so many developers seem to be shunning the MS app store and users of desktop PC aren't handing over their cash by the wheelbarrow full.

This just doesn't bode well unless he can get up on stage and jump around while shouting "developers, developers, developers, DEVELOPERS!". At the end of the day it's about having enough content to entice people to make the switch to your platform. The "Living Room" is already staked out by players that are way too big for Valve to compete against. If this were a small dongle that you plugged into a spare HDMI connector that allowed you to stream you PC games to it along with everything from Youtube video and your own personal library of movies, music and pictures then they would get a substantial portion of Steam users to buy into it.

I'm not too keen on the idea of running a reskinned gimped version of Linux on a purpose built gaming rig in the living room, I would rather they put forth effort in getting desktop Linux distro up to speed for gaming.

This seems like a race to the bottom in terms of lowering the bar for PC gamers, I fully expect HL3 to be designed around a console gamepad with a default FOV of 65.

46. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:21 Ryan Lange

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:15:
BTW: SteamOS, or for short: SOS. I'm sure rescue workers/orgs worldwide is thrilled to have the universal distress signal confused with a gaming platform

I can't imagine any situations where the context would lead to confusion about whether you're talking about the operating system or the general distress signal.

45. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:16 Akelm88

true 'dat. Its lost a lot of momentum. Most of us are like put up or shut up with the series.....  

44. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:16 Ryan Lange

Jago wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 13:41:
This may be a dumb question, but what hardware will it need to run?

Whatever hardware is required to run the games you want to play, I assume.

43. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:11 nin

Akelm88 wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:08:
Imagine if the 3rd announcement was Half Life 3 exclusive to SteamOS. That's my personal nightmare........crazy, yes.....but Valve is fearless if they are anything.

I wondered that as well, but then I remembered I've lost all interest in HL.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:08 Akelm88

41. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:04 SpectralMeat

ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:49:
There are massive challenges to streaming PC games. The Nvidia Shield tried and there's image quality and latency issues. If you're not talking about Streaming, then I don't see what the immediate advantage of SteamOS is.
Well there's potential anyways.
I hope Valve can do a better job at this then Nvidia did.
If the PS4 and Vita combo can do this, I have faith in Valve that they can pull this off also.
Not like it will cost me an arm and leg to try this feature anyways

Steam: SpectralMeat

40. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:04 noman

Minuit wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:58:
Nothing like that. SteamOS _is_ the living-room device. You are already running Steam on your gaming PC and that is going to stream the video and audio to the SteamOS box.

I'll believe that Valve can do this with acceptable quality when I see it, but that's the idea.

SteamOS is a linux distribution based off of Ubuntu 12.04. If anyone of you have an unused PC somewhere, which can fit in a living room, then plug in the HDMI cable and have a gaming HTPC. You can even run Steam in big-picture mode to have Steam working perfectly.

And instead of streaming games from another PC running Windows (for games that don't play nice on Linux yet) over to SteamOS, you can run such games natively on that Windows HTPC.

39. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:58 ItBurn

TheEmissary wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:53:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:00:
I have no idea why someone would use this. Why would I install and figure out this new OS that does a lot LESS, when I can already just use Steam on Windows? Plus, I own no Linux games.

This OS isn't meant for power users on normal gaming PCs. Their strategy is exactly the same as Google's strategy with releasing a free OS and allowing third party vendors to package it how they see fit. This is likely Valve's attempt to do the same for the console/embedded hardware.

This if it works will create a open console ecosystem that Ouya only dreamed about. The ability to build your own device for HTPC/embedded gaming (console).

Good read. Lots of "ifs" and "maybes" though.

38. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:58 Minuit

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:43:
we need to dl steamOS and install it as a sort of dual-boot thing with windows, and then what, stream it to some living-room device like an appletv or buy a steambox or something like that?

Nothing like that. SteamOS _is_ the living-room device. You are already running Steam on your gaming PC and that is going to stream the video and audio to the SteamOS box.

I'll believe that Valve can do this with acceptable quality when I see it, but that's the idea.

37. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:53 TheEmissary

ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:00:
I have no idea why someone would use this. Why would I install and figure out this new OS that does a lot LESS, when I can already just use Steam on Windows? Plus, I own no Linux games.

This OS isn't meant for power users on normal gaming PCs. Their strategy is exactly the same as Google's strategy with releasing a free OS and allowing third party vendors to package it how they see fit. This is likely Valve's attempt to do the same for the console/embedded hardware.

This if it works will create a open console ecosystem that Ouya only dreamed about. The ability to build your own device for HTPC/embedded gaming (console).

36. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:52 ItBurn

Verno wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:50:
NKD wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:46:
Unless I can play my entire Steam catalog on it, no thanks. And even then it seems a bit silly when I could just run a normal OS with Steam.

I don't know, I actually run very little desktop software outside of work these days. I'm also totally fine with compatibility taking time, Steam itself took forever to get the game offerings it currently does and Windows gaming was pretty annoying before it.

I can understand the "future" argument. But damn Valve is terrible at explaining the things they release.

35. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:50 Verno

NKD wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:46:
Unless I can play my entire Steam catalog on it, no thanks. And even then it seems a bit silly when I could just run a normal OS with Steam.

I don't know, I actually run very little desktop software outside of work these days. I'm also totally fine with compatibility taking time, Steam itself took forever to get the game offerings it currently does and Windows gaming was pretty annoying before it.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

34. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:49 Tumbler

GTA V just got delivered to my house...cough cough...not feeling so well...cough...beter go home early!  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

33. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:49 ItBurn

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:40:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:33:
ldonyo wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:29:
I brought Steam to my living room two years ago when I hooked my gaming PC to my home theater. It's been working fantastically ever since!

Exactly. Why deal with the several headaches of using this new OS if things already work great.
Because not everyone wants to bring their gaming PC to the living room

There are massive challenges to streaming PC games. The Nvidia Shield tried and there's image quality and latency issues. If you're not talking about Streaming, then I don't see what the immediate advantage of SteamOS is.

32. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:46 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

31. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 14:43 BicycleRepairMan

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical myself, I admit, I'm not sure how this is going to work.. so we need to dl steamOS and install it as a sort of dual-boot thing with windows, and then what, stream it to some living-room device like an appletv or buy a steambox or something like that? Whats the benefits? Huge performance increases? Will SteamOS, (once I've booted in it) be able to run all my steam windows-only games? if not, its doomed to fail..
vrok wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:25:
Call me pessimistic, but I think it's more probable that developers/publishers wouldn't care in the slightest about supporting SteamOS and simply tell you to stream it to SteamOS if you really want to play their game on it. Cater to the largest market with minimal effort and all that.

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo