Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SteamOS Announced

The countdown on the Steam Living Room page has concluded, and this page has details on SteamOS, "available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room," the promised announcement about Valve's future plans for Linux and Steam. This is the first of three planned announcements on the topic, so expect more to come in about 48 hours when the next countdown concludes. Here's word:

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

70. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:00 DanteUK

Played games on Linux for years, some native ( Quake3/ETQW/Doom3 ) some using Wine ( www.winehq.org ).
I remember when one of the Unreal Tournament demos was a liveCD with Linux+NVidia drivers and UT demo preinstalled, just slip in the disk, boot and play - that was more than 10 years ago I think.

Windows has got worse, Linux has got better.

I used to rant 10-15 years ago about developers using DirectX and locking themselves into MS. At the time OpenGL was better than DirectX, then eventually DirectX improved. Today OpenGL can still handle AAA titles and OpenAL and other standard libraries are available for the other things that DirectX "wraps to make dev's lives easier (lazier)".

So this announcement is not a surprise, just wonder what took them so long.

Irony: techies hate Windows 8 because it's dumbed down and designed for a touch screen that the vast majority don't have - but instead they like the idea of an OS dumbed down to basically only browse and play games on a TV with a controller!

Thanks, but I prefer my Linux with a proper desktop and open for every use I can think of.

PS: those complaining they don't want their gaming rig in the family room on the main TV all fall into two categories, Kids living at home and Married guys with a wife that actually wants to watch TV, not watch her husband play some stupid game. ( I fall into the later category )

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:55 RaZ0r!

This is a great day in PC Gaming. To clear up some confusions:

1. Valve doesn't need a desktop Linux. There are plenty of those, and the current Steam client works fine on all of the Linux distros should you chose one. Also, their clients for Windows and Mac OS X are not going away.

2. SteamOS (which remember is Linux) will run NATIVE games, just as the current Steam client runs NATIVE games on Linux, Windows, and Mac. They don't need DirectX ported anywhere.

3. Valve has gotten many developers to already fast track releases to Linux. In just a little over a year I have 80 games out of my Steam library available for Linux. In the announcement: "Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014." This means Valve has big publishers on board.

4. Also announced: "Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming." This allows you to stream any game from any Mac or Windows PC running the normal Steam client in your home to your living room PC running SteamOS. This will allow you to play what non Linux native games you might have in the living room on SteamOS.

5. The biggest thing is this shows Microsoft (and all platforms really) that gaming can be moved off their platform. I think you might see a real reinvestment in gaming from Microsoft if they are interested in keeping Windows relevant to gamers, or they may just let it go because they are too busy chasing the iPad or phones or something.

68. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:55 Loopy

Even if Valve made Half-Life 3 a flagship product for this platform, I don't see them making it an exclusive, or consolizing it. This is Valve. So far, this is not EA, and not Microsoft.

*crosses fingers*

67. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:54 SirKnight

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:04:
I hope Valve can do a better job at this then Nvidia did.

Actually, Valve isn't doing this on their own....

66. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:51 SirKnight

DangerDog wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:16:
Simon Says wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:05:
They need to have MASSIVE performance improvements over Windows for me to be even REMOTELY interested in this. And there remains to be seen if you can play windows/non-steam games on it without streaming.

Without these 2 features it's just a big MEH right now. Unless Microsoft goes all Apple on us with their next OS and Walls up everything.

It would have to be streamed, there's no way MS would just sit back and let them emulate DirectX 11.x on Linux

O rly? http://www.winehq.org/

65. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:48 Armengar

PC + long HDMI cable + wireless controller/mouse/kb is surely better than a streamed solution?  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

64. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:48 Kitkoan

Flo wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:40:
Will Steam Big Picture still crash randomly on it? I've put my alienware laptop next to my TV running big picture on it. I like playing games with the xbox controller on it but it's still not as smooth as a console (I'm looking at YOU ubisoft with your stupid U play interruptions). Anyway, it has to be 100% hassle free to succeed and I just can't imagine this with Linux. Prove me wrong!

The crashing could be your video card, but not sure.

As for you can't imagine this with Linux, why not?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

63. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:47 Undocumented Alien

People on Reddit calling it the "GabeCube".

Personally, I play most of my games with keyboard and mouse, so this doesn't appeal to me to much. I already have a Wii and PS3 that my kids use (and me from time to time) so I have the console thing going already x2.

I wish them luck, but I don't see anything great here.

62. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:40 Flo

Will Steam Big Picture still crash randomly on it? I've put my alienware laptop next to my TV running big picture on it. I like playing games with the xbox controller on it but it's still not as smooth as a console (I'm looking at YOU ubisoft with your stupid U play interruptions). Anyway, it has to be 100% hassle free to succeed and I just can't imagine this with Linux. Prove me wrong!  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

61. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:30 Prez

My desktop PC at home is pretty much exclusively used for gaming and some web browsing, so a SteamOS type of deal would be awesome for that.

Yep. Just make it so OpenOffice can run on it and some kind of DirectX emulator.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

60. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:26 Kitkoan

DangerDog wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:16:
It would have to be streamed, there's no way MS would just sit back and let them emulate DirectX 11.x on Linux

More likely they will push for OpenGL, and since it's more compatible with Android, OSX/iOS this shouldn't be too hard a push.

And unlike OSX, they will be able to make sure that their OS is running the newest stable versions of OpenGL to make sure games can fully utilize OpenGL.

59. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:22 Kitkoan

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:15:
The potential of this really depends on what else Valve is announcing. I imagine that the SteamBox will be one of the other announcements, undoubtedly running SteamOS, and that game sharing will be the last one.

If Valve can get hardware partners onboard then that means that Steam could pose a serious threat to the XB1 and PS4, as they'll be stuck on outdated hardware for the next eight years. It won't take long for SteamBox to support 4K gaming, which is something Microsoft and Sony can't compete with.

PS - It would be nice if Valve really pushed SteamOS as an alternative to Windows, as Microsoft has become far too complacent. Gaming is one of the biggest obstacles to overthrowing Windows and Valve has the potential to change that.

With Valve controlling the entire OS, this could be very impressive depending on what they do with it.

From what I saw on the Steam page, there isn't much information of the final product but the customizing part was an interesting note.

If this is a Linux OS with Steam built in and API's to help push it towards gaming, this could really help with gaming. And if it is still a full blown Linux OS, it would help itself even more as it would help to sell itself as more then just games.

As this could help Valve make more money with Steam games sold, they will have the money to invest in this, and are more likely to be able to work closely with companies like NVidia and Intel for better driver support in newer products.

It will be interesting to see if they plan to make this a Linux Distro or another console, albet open console.

58. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:16 DangerDog

Simon Says wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:05:
They need to have MASSIVE performance improvements over Windows for me to be even REMOTELY interested in this. And there remains to be seen if you can play windows/non-steam games on it without streaming.

Without these 2 features it's just a big MEH right now. Unless Microsoft goes all Apple on us with their next OS and Walls up everything.

It would have to be streamed, there's no way MS would just sit back and let them emulate DirectX 11.x on Linux - hell MS uses that to ply pressure on PC gamers to upgrade their own versions of OS never mind suing the crap out of someone else running it on Linux.

I just don't see the "jump for joy" moment in all this, you guys really want to see your PC game library designed exclusively for living room TV's with huge clunky fonts and console controller interfaces? Seems like we have to keep fighting for higher FOV settings and mouseable interfaces in games, this will only make it worse.

57. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:15 theyarecomingforyou

The potential of this really depends on what else Valve is announcing. I imagine that the SteamBox will be one of the other announcements, undoubtedly running SteamOS, and that game sharing will be the last one.

If Valve can get hardware partners onboard then that means that Steam could pose a serious threat to the XB1 and PS4, as they'll be stuck on outdated hardware for the next eight years. It won't take long for SteamBox to support 4K gaming, which is something Microsoft and Sony can't compete with.

PS - It would be nice if Valve really pushed SteamOS as an alternative to Windows, as Microsoft has become far too complacent. Gaming is one of the biggest obstacles to overthrowing Windows and Valve has the potential to change that.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

56. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:13 Kitkoan

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:26:
There are around 3500 games on Steam. If what he says is true, that several hundred of them are already running on SteamOS natively

There are 300 Linux native games on Steam, this is why he says hundreds.

55. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:05 Simon Says

54. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:59 DangerDog

DangerDog wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:22:
At the end of the day it's about having enough content to entice people to make the switch to your platform.

There are around 3500 games on Steam. If what he says is true, that several hundred of them are already running on SteamOS natively, then they undoubtedly have a team working on porting as many of them as possible.

Also, if you get an OS with 50 million users, devs/pubs are more likely to support you straight out of the box. I think it'll catch on pretty well.

Whether it will conquer the living room, eh, that remains to be seen. Nobody is going to fork over 1100 dollars for a Steam Box, and quite frankly, considering that a PS4 costs 400 bucks, I fail to see why a Steam Box needs to be so expensive anyway.

Those games are not optomized for TV gaming with a console controller, a hand full of linux PC indie games isn't inciting for console gamers in the slightest, nor Windows gamers I might add.

50 million Windows users of Steam does not translate into 50 million SteamOS users.

As a PC gamer I'm not interested in Living Room gaming, I want higher resolutions, higher textures and my preferred control setup is mouse and keyboard, xbox 360 controller for driving games and flight stick for flight simulators. People spending $600 on graphics cards won't be amused with input lag even if it's in the ms range.

Maybe in another two generations an Intel NUC will have enough graphic processing horsepower to be a viable gaming platform and be inexpensive enough, building even a low end $500 gaming rig to stream games to seems like a waste of time and money.

53. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:57 Leper

I can't imagine any situations where the context would lead to confusion about whether you're talking about the operating system or the general distress signal.

Scenario 1: A group of old college buddies gather at a remote mountain cabin for a weekend of drinking, hunting and gaming in the winter of 2018. SteamOS (commonly referred to as S.O.S.) is well established and now the choice of LAN gamers due to extensive networking features released by Valve earlier in the year. Despite climate change (or perhaps because of), a terrible storm not seen for decades is bearing down on the area... No, actually I believe you are correct.

52. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:54 El Pit

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:41:
Oh, come on. Just because it's had a long development cycle doesn't mean it won't be fantastic and amazing. Look at Duke Nukem 3D and A:CM... Oh, wait.

Duke Nukem 3D was a fantastic game. You must be talking about Duke Nukem (took) 4ever.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

51. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:45 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:22:
At the end of the day it's about having enough content to entice people to make the switch to your platform.

There are around 3500 games on Steam. If what he says is true, that several hundred of them are already running on SteamOS natively, then they undoubtedly have a team working on porting as many of them as possible.

Also, if you get an OS with 50 million users, devs/pubs are more likely to support you straight out of the box. I think it'll catch on pretty well.

Whether it will conquer the living room, eh, that remains to be seen. Nobody is going to fork over 1100 dollars for a Steam Box, and quite frankly, considering that a PS4 costs 400 bucks, I fail to see why a Steam Box needs to be so expensive anyway.

1. You can put together a decent gaming machine for $500. $1100 gets you a pretty premium set up.

2. Steam games are $20, $10, $5, free. PS4 games are $60, $40, etc.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo