Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SteamOS Announced

The countdown on the Steam Living Room page has concluded, and this page has details on SteamOS, "available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room," the promised announcement about Valve's future plans for Linux and Steam. This is the first of three planned announcements on the topic, so expect more to come in about 48 hours when the next countdown concludes. Here's word:

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

90. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:59 Kitkoan

goatman wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 17:50:
At the very least this should help the linux community with greater exposure to hardware issues and hopefully the continuation of better accelerated graphic improvements and driver adaptation.

I've got a spare box that should run this OS well and I will throw together a box to see how it performs.

When you buy a Linux machine, you don't get these issues. It's one of those really pro/con things of Linux.

People want to slap Linux on anything and expect it to work out of the box, but you don't get people expecting the same thing from other OS's. They fully expect to buy the OS with the system. In most cases, it does work but you get that rare kink.

You don't get reviews of people taking the new Linux laptop from System76, and using it to review either Windows or OSX because suddenly those systems wouldn't look so nice (really true for OSX) and thus not a fair review. But do a review of Linux like this and suddenly this is considered a fair review.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

89. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:51 Numinar

Is there still room for the "Portal 3 and Half Life 3 are the same game now and it's due out early next year and we called it Portal Life 6" announce?

That would sell systems. Hasn't been a good launch title for new hardware since Halo on the OGXbox.

88. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:50 TheEmissary

ItBurn wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:42:
Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:34:
Overon wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:13:
If it wasn't for games, I would probably be using GNU/Linux instead of Microsoft Windows. If more game ran natively on GNU/Linux I would not be using Microsoft Windows.

That describes almost every PC gamer. That's why I've never understood why MS has dropped the ball so badly on it and wasted so much time and money on console wars when they had the PC locked up and could have expanded the hell out of it. Yeah, if all games ran native under Linux we would have dumped Windows years ago.

No way. Linux can't be used by the general population. Even I have a hard time with it and refuse to waste my life learning it.

There are plenty of user friendly desktop environments and distributions that are just as easy to use as windows. The problem is people have a hard time knowing or finding the distribution right for them because of the sheer number of them. There are probably 500 different forks out in the wild.

The real problem with linux is quality control for lot of the drivers and some of the opensource projects. Other than that its no different than any other OS.

87. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:42 ItBurn

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:34:
If it wasn't for games, I would probably be using GNU/Linux instead of Microsoft Windows. If more game ran natively on GNU/Linux I would not be using Microsoft Windows.

That describes almost every PC gamer. That's why I've never understood why MS has dropped the ball so badly on it and wasted so much time and money on console wars when they had the PC locked up and could have expanded the hell out of it. Yeah, if all games ran native under Linux we would have dumped Windows years ago.

No way. Linux can't be used by the general population. Even I have a hard time with it and refuse to waste my life learning it.

86. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:39 Creston

Kitkoan wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:13:
Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:26:
There are around 3500 games on Steam. If what he says is true, that several hundred of them are already running on SteamOS natively

There are 300 Linux native games on Steam, this is why he says hundreds.

Ah... Well, then they still have the exact same problem: Why would I use Steam on Linux when I have 3000 more games on Windows? I guess maybe the streaming thing works marvelously well in their test setup.

85. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:34 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

84. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:16 Julio

I don't see that this gets me anything I need. But maybe it will make Microsoft sweat for 5 seconds or so.  

83. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:13 Overon

82. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:05 SpectralMeat

DanteUK wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 17:00:
PS: those complaining they don't want their gaming rig in the family room on the main TV all fall into two categories, Kids living at home and Married guys with a wife that actually wants to watch TV, not watch her husband play some stupid game. ( I fall into the later category )

I have a bunch of coop games on Steam I'd love to play on the TV with my kids or my wife.
Just because you can play your games on the TV doesn't mean that will be the only option to play your games, but it sure as shit would be a nice option if available.
If I bring my gaming PC to the living room then there will be the situation you've described, wife wants to watch TV and I want to shoot stuff.
Also don't want to re buy all the indy games on PSN I already own on Steam.

Steam: SpectralMeat

81. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:58 DangerDog

You'll probably have to build to their specs, I really doubt Valve is going to go overboard supporting every device and combination under the sun.  

80. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:56 Redmask

The biggest thing this shows to me is that Valve is concerned and really, really trying to lock you in. I'm already locked in, though. I'm not leaving the Steam store anytime soon. I've never used Origin, Microsoft's Store, and I tie my GoG to my Steam account.

No its not lock in, they could go totally proprietary and achieve the same thing. Valve is adapting Steam for a future where Microsoft might not exist in the consumer market. Desktop and laptop sales continue to plummet with no end in sight. In less than 3 years since decent tablets hit the market most of the people I know either don't have a PC anymore or have no plans to replace their current one when it kicks the bucket.

Valve has typically been ahead of the industry and if they're looking to the future and don't like what they see then there is cause for concern. This is low risk for them, they don't give up anything by doing it and have a lot of potential gain in the future if it goes the way they think. At the very least it puts them into a niche market where they aren't reliant on unknown variables controlled by competitors.

79. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:50 goatman

At the very least this should help the linux community with greater exposure to hardware issues and hopefully the continuation of better accelerated graphic improvements and driver adaptation.

I've got a spare box that should run this OS well and I will throw together a box to see how it performs.

78. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:40 Kitkoan

saluk wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 17:32:
I would imagine most of the improvements steamos can bring to the linux world will be applicable to whatever desktop linux you are using. This didn't happen with android (what linux benefits did that bring again?) but from what I gather, steamos is more linux than android is.

Android brought quite a few benefits to Linux.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/09/linux/

When Google started giving back Android code to Linux it jumped in code donations. Must have been at least some good code and benefits.

77. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:32 saluk

Irony: techies hate Windows 8 because it's dumbed down and designed for a touch screen that the vast majority don't have - but instead they like the idea of an OS dumbed down to basically only browse and play games on a TV with a controller!

Thanks, but I prefer my Linux with a proper desktop and open for every use I can think of.

PS: those complaining they don't want their gaming rig in the family room on the main TV all fall into two categories, Kids living at home and Married guys with a wife that actually wants to watch TV, not watch her husband play some stupid game. ( I fall into the later category )

I would imagine most of the improvements steamos can bring to the linux world will be applicable to whatever desktop linux you are using. This didn't happen with android (what linux benefits did that bring again?) but from what I gather, steamos is more linux than android is.

But we will have to see how open it truly is.

Consider me cautiously optimistic at this point - not for steamos itself but for what developments it may lead to.

76. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:30 Beamer

Jivaro wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 17:00:
RaZ0r! wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:55:
This is a great day in PC Gaming. To clear up some confusions:

1. Valve doesn't need a desktop Linux. There are plenty of those, and the current Steam client works fine on all of the Linux distros should you chose one. Also, their clients for Windows and Mac OS X are not going away.

2. SteamOS (which remember is Linux) will run NATIVE games, just as the current Steam client runs NATIVE games on Linux, Windows, and Mac. They don't need DirectX ported anywhere.

3. Valve has gotten many developers to already fast track releases to Linux. In just a little over a year I have 80 games out of my Steam library available for Linux. In the announcement: "Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014." This means Valve has big publishers on board.

4. Also announced: "Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming." This allows you to stream any game from any Mac or Windows PC running the normal Steam client in your home to your living room PC running SteamOS. This will allow you to play what non Linux native games you might have in the living room on SteamOS.

5. The biggest thing is this shows Microsoft (and all platforms really) that gaming can be moved off their platform. I think you might see a real reinvestment in gaming from Microsoft if they are interested in keeping Windows relevant to gamers, or they may just let it go because they are too busy chasing the iPad or phones or something.

Don't come in here with your logic and facts and stuff. I see right through you...trying to push your agenda on us. So...uh...yeah...stop it.

Well, is #3 really logic or facts? Every single product announced touts how they have lots of dev/pub support. Ouya bragged endlessly about the big name publishers that would support them. Where are those publishers now?

Believe it when you see it.

As for the rest of this, it's just another OS created to tie you to a store. That seems to be all anyone does anymore. Once Apple discovered how lucrative the app store was everyone wanted a piece. Android is designed to tie you to the Google Store. The Kindle is a forked version designed to tie you to Amazon. Windows 8's Metro Screen is designed to tie you to the Microsoft Store.

I don't really feel like another one of those. And I'm surprised so many people that criticize Microsoft for needlessly trying to tie you to a store are openly supporting Valve doing something even more unnecessary to try to get you to be all Steam all the time.

The biggest thing this shows to me is that Valve is concerned and really, really trying to lock you in. I'm already locked in, though. I'm not leaving the Steam store anytime soon. I've never used Origin, Microsoft's Store, and I tie my GoG to my Steam account.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

75. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:29 Luke

Don't we all just looove steam and Google its like putting a NAS dildo up your ass and press ON Wall  

74. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:21 Kitkoan

Irony: techies hate Windows 8 because it's dumbed down and designed for a touch screen that the vast majority don't have - but instead they like the idea of an OS dumbed down to basically only browse and play games on a TV with a controller!

I must have missed that part of SteamOS only running Stream.

The page does mention "Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want." which gives me the opposite impression though. I might default load Steam in Big Picture mode but most likely be able to turn that off all together and use it as a full blown Linux OS.

73. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:19 DangerDog

SirKnight wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:51:
O rly? http://www.winehq.org/

I'm sure linux users appreciate the effort of wine but it hardly makes for a convincing case for enough support to drop Windows, unfortunately.

Perhaps it's their lack of success that keeps the ire of Microsoft off their back.

AAA games released natively to SteamOS? Even if that were the case - which I really doubt (BF4 and GTAV on SteamOS, get real) I wouldn't care because this whole thing isn't about PC gaming, it's about creating a bridge from the PC to a pseudo linux powered console platform suitable for use in the living room.

72. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:16 Redmask

5. The biggest thing is this shows Microsoft (and all platforms really) that gaming can be moved off their platform. I think you might see a real reinvestment in gaming from Microsoft if they are interested in keeping Windows relevant to gamers, or they may just let it go because they are too busy chasing the iPad or phones or something.

Yep. God help them if Valve comes up with a real set of development APIs like DirectX that the consoles could implement too. I doubt it'll happen but this is a shot across the bow.

71. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:00 Jivaro

This is a great day in PC Gaming. To clear up some confusions:

1. Valve doesn't need a desktop Linux. There are plenty of those, and the current Steam client works fine on all of the Linux distros should you chose one. Also, their clients for Windows and Mac OS X are not going away.

2. SteamOS (which remember is Linux) will run NATIVE games, just as the current Steam client runs NATIVE games on Linux, Windows, and Mac. They don't need DirectX ported anywhere.

3. Valve has gotten many developers to already fast track releases to Linux. In just a little over a year I have 80 games out of my Steam library available for Linux. In the announcement: "Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014." This means Valve has big publishers on board.

4. Also announced: "Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming." This allows you to stream any game from any Mac or Windows PC running the normal Steam client in your home to your living room PC running SteamOS. This will allow you to play what non Linux native games you might have in the living room on SteamOS.

Don't come in here with your logic and facts and stuff. I see right through you...trying to push your agenda on us. So...uh...yeah...stop it.

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo