Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SteamOS Announced

The countdown on the Steam Living Room page has concluded, and this page has details on SteamOS, "available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room," the promised announcement about Valve's future plans for Linux and Steam. This is the first of three planned announcements on the topic, so expect more to come in about 48 hours when the next countdown concludes. Here's word:

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

10. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:36 Verno

This is really cool news, I'm all for any alternative to the increasingly frustrating mess that has become of the Microsoft ecosystem.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:35 Creston

:-applause-:

8. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:34 Cutter

Enh I don't see what the big whoop is. Console games don't need good monitors so a TV is fine. But if you have a 24" or 27" rock solid gaming monitor why would you want to play on a TV anyway? I dropped from a 42" to a 32" LED and I'm going to dump that and just run with a 27" monitor for everything. Now if they were doing a full OS that meant we didn't have to deal with MS ever again then I'd be excited.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:34 Jivaro

Redmask wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 13:33:
Holy shit, I guess go big or go home.

My thoughts exactly. Very curious and somewhat excited to see where this goes.

6. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:33 Redmask

Holy shit, I guess go big or go home.  

5. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:32 Rattlehead

Here's what's not going to be announced:

Half-Life 3

4. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:29 LittleMe

Awesome. Now they just need to fix the situation for closed source hardware drivers for Linux. Just make an icon on the desktop that when launched, installs it all automatically, or something like that!

Valve is in a good position to potentially make it happen. Specifically replacement for Windows for PC gaming! There's a long way to go from here though.

edit: yeah, "tv and living room" shows how they are interested more in the console-gaming experience. We saw Commodore try this and fail hard. Focus on PC gaming FIRST YOU IDIOTS.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

3. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:24 SpectralMeat

This sounds promising.
Will be interesting to use the stream feature. I don't have to build another gaming rig for the living room pc.
Oh and it is free!
In your face Microsoft!

Steam: SpectralMeat

2. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:24 BadIronTree

FINALLY  

1. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 13:24 Prez

He'll, since Valve cares more about the desktop PC than the morons at Microsoft they ought to design an OS for the PC too!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo