Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SteamOS Announced

The countdown on the Steam Living Room page has concluded, and this page has details on SteamOS, "available soon as a free operating system designed for the TV and the living room," the promised announcement about Valve's future plans for Linux and Steam. This is the first of three planned announcements on the topic, so expect more to come in about 48 hours when the next countdown concludes. Here's word:

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

110. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 25, 2013, 11:32 2nd_floor

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 00:18:
2nd_floor wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 11:40:
Today developers are pulling away from Windows even! The desktop for gaming is somewhat uncertain.

I'm sorry but this is uninformed nonsense. Perhaps you should look at the balance sheets of major gaming corporations. There is too much money to be made in the PC space.
I believe there is money to be made on PC too, but some companies are not making games period for PC, or not at full PC quality. GTA V, Destiny, Rage, Crysis 2,3. And some are making awesome PC games like Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Total War 2:Rome. But I think 5+ years ago, all companies were doing the PC. Not even actually: some Halo games were not released for PC in the early 2000s.

Why is GTA V not on PC (yet)? For sure it will sell on PC, why have they not announced or released it yet?

I don't know the finances of game developers, but I can see in the quality of the game, and sometimes no game at all for PC, that developers are putting more effort into the consoles than PC. Some, not all, but enough to think that something has changed. Hopefully with this next generation of consoles with more power, we will get high quality games on PC again. But why are some games not even coming out yet for PC?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

109. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 25, 2013, 00:18 Suppa7

2nd_floor wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 11:40:
Today developers are pulling away from Windows even! The desktop for gaming is somewhat uncertain.

I'm sorry but this is uninformed nonsense. Perhaps you should look at the balance sheets of major gaming corporations. There is too much money to be made in the PC space.

108. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 24, 2013, 20:05 Ladron3dfx

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/864978110213187558/

The SteamOS news will only cater to existing Steam subscribers who are heavily invested in the Steam service. Once console gamers and the general public learn of the restrictions of the service they will avoid it like the plague that it is.

I'm already visioning SteamOS exclusive games, that can only run on the SteamOS distro and not any other distro.

I do expect an announcement of a Valve developed game that will run only on the SteamOS, perhaps bundled with the SteamOS. Free? No, but at a discounted price.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2013, 20:13.

Steamworks

107. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 24, 2013, 11:40 2nd_floor

So Valve is going to take on Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo for the living room. To my knowledge this is a big risk. Microsoft and Sony loose billions of dollars ($8 bn combined) keeping their consoles in the living room, and because they have huge other businesses/products, they can afford this. Valve is hoping to take customers away from Xbox, PS and Wii? All of the games already come out for Xbox and PS, except upcoming Valve games maybe). I think risky!

Valve is hoping Steam alone can compete with Xbox and PS, and Steam until today does not run games as an OS. Do they have anything else they can throw at Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? If they can get 10s and 10s of developers writing games for SteamOS/Linux, maybe they'll have something to go on. Today developers are pulling away from Windows even! The desktop for gaming is somewhat uncertain.

Maybe they will pull off what Google/Android did in the mobile market, but risky I think.

I would stick to the desktop maybe, and Linux on the desktop might do well. Is Valve hoping to turn desktop gamers into living room ones? Risky stuff I think.

No mention of whether SteamOS will be open source. All this talk of Linux and "openness", yet nothing as far as source code. If they make any changes to the kernel or any other GPL code, they will have to release source code if requested.

There is also Ouya, which is Android, and Android is pretty big today.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2013, 12:08.

106. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 24, 2013, 09:20 John

Meh, sounds interesting but I'll just connect my PC to my TV if I want to play PC games on it.  
This space is available for rent

105. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 24, 2013, 03:51 InBlack

Prez wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 13:24:
He'll, since Valve cares more about the desktop PC than the morons at Microsoft they ought to design an OS for the PC too!

Havent read anything but the first page of the thread, but I have no doubt that this is coming.

I have a nifty blue line!

104. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 24, 2013, 00:37 HorrorScope

Hey if they can truly make something better great.

But I'm just not going over there until then. I mean, it's not like I'm struggling playing games in any way at the moment. Win7/8 core is solid.

But again, if they do make it better overall than Win7/8, great. We'll see, not holding breath.

103. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 24, 2013, 00:23 HorrorScope

noman wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:04:
If anyone of you have an unused PC somewhere, which can fit in a living room

I do have another pc, but it's to big for my living room.

But your point about running a hdmi to the big screen is spot on. If you want living room pc, have living room pc.... Well if it fits.

102. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 24, 2013, 00:17 HorrorScope

MajorD wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 14:00:
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

What if I use it in another room? Am I a bad boy?

101. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 23:46 Steele Johnson

Cool, now all you pc gamers can make your own console. lol

Remember, you can only play Steam games with this, so you know what more game devs are going to do, right? Ditch Steam, and then all you'll have is new TF2 hats. lol

Game devs are starting to make more money on phone and tablet games anyway. I'd be surprised if this does anything.

100. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 23:43 DangerDog

Kobalt wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 20:10:
If gaben seriously thinks any but the most hardcore will move to linux hes on some serious shit. If this is just something for hardcore pc gamers to have a sort of separate gaming pc in their living room, I see it doing as well as all the other attempts to control the living room from tech companies.

I'm more interested in the idea I see on non gaming sites that thinks valve sees the pc is dying which will eventually lead to a decline in pc gaming as more and more just buy tablets. If this turns out to be essentially a competitor to the mainstream consoles with set specs that developers can create games in mind for we might have something interesting. If this steambox can run ps4 and xbone pc ports for 500 or less I might even buy the thing

He's looking at the long game, many game companies are investing in linux and making their engines work on that OS. MS would have to completely kill off the desktop and by doing so would kill off the traditional PC with it.

They're pretty stupid at MS and anything is possible but only the truly weak minded content consuming idiots will be satisfied with nothing but a tablet and a walled garden to get content from.

What channel is "Ow my balls hurt" on again?

99. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 23:18 Silicon Avatar

I'll just wait and see how this turns out. If it's great, awesome. If not, whatever. I really just don't have an opinion on it.

I'd love to have some games - Fallout 4, HL3, LFD3, TF3, etc. When a corporation goes all out to announce their new OS or game selling scheme I just kind of go to sleep. Show me the games.

98. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 22:12 siapnar

When I first read SteamOS I assumed it was a bootable OS that is dedicated to playing just Steam games, optimizing your hardware output for games. Unfortunately it sounds like something I will absolutely never use, considering my PC monitor is a 42" TV, and my PS3 and comfiest chair are in my room.

Boourns

I have projectile dysfunction.

97. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 20:42 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:54:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:41:
Oh, come on. Just because it's had a long development cycle doesn't mean it won't be fantastic and amazing. Look at Duke Nukem 3D and A:CM... Oh, wait.

Duke Nukem 3D was a fantastic game. You must be talking about Duke Nukem (took) 4ever.

Oops, you're right. My bad.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

96. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 20:24 Slinkycatz

I see this as the streamlining of Linux.

You'll always have someone saying "I can't deal with anything complicated right now, the only thing I want is something that is simple and works."

So, if Valve can play Apple with Linux... good luck to them.

95. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 20:10 Kobalt

If gaben seriously thinks any but the most hardcore will move to linux hes on some serious shit. If this is just something for hardcore pc gamers to have a sort of separate gaming pc in their living room, I see it doing as well as all the other attempts to control the living room from tech companies.

I'm more interested in the idea I see on non gaming sites that thinks valve sees the pc is dying which will eventually lead to a decline in pc gaming as more and more just buy tablets. If this turns out to be essentially a competitor to the mainstream consoles with set specs that developers can create games in mind for we might have something interesting. If this steambox can run ps4 and xbone pc ports for 500 or less I might even buy the thing

94. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 19:59 Kitkoan

wtf_man wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 19:05:
Someone on Ars Technica posted this:
Linux is the future of gaming, so long as it is no longer called Linux, is locked down from outside control, and will stream stuff from the Steam Store (but no word of streaming games purchased through GoG or other vendors?

Let me put it this way: if and when Steam allows other storefronts without SteamOS, then I will believe the cries of "open source" were anything but marketing material.

I pretty much agree. This looks like their own "Walled Garden" that they were bitching of MS doing, on an OS base that is supposed to be "Open". Talk about ironic... and potentially hippocratical.

That said... a PS4 will already be in my living room... which is a huge step for me since I mostly hate consoles... or to be more accurate... gaming pads.

From the Steam page itself:
"Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want."

Kinda goes in the opposite direction of what your suggesting.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

93. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 19:40 Warskull

wtf_man wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 19:05:
Linux is the future of gaming, so long as it is no longer called Linux, is locked down from outside control, and will stream stuff from the Steam Store (but no word of streaming games purchased through GoG or other vendors?

Let me put it this way: if and when Steam allows other storefronts without SteamOS, then I will believe the cries of "open source" were anything but marketing material.

I pretty much agree. This looks like their own "Walled Garden" that they were bitching of MS doing, on an OS base that is supposed to be "Open". Talk about ironic... and potentially hippocratical.

That said... a PS4 will already be in my living room... which is a huge step for me since I mostly hate consoles... or to be more accurate... gaming pads.

Just because their implementation is a walled garden doesn't mean it is closed. Games that run on Steam OS will probably run on other Linux distros.

Linux is inherently more open due to being open source. Someone can always make a more open Steam OS alternative. A least part of their code will have to be open source.

The big thing is a move like this should improve overall developer support and driver support for Linux as a whole.

92. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 19:05 wtf_man

91. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 19:03 Mad Max RW

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:34:
Overon wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 18:13:
If it wasn't for games, I would probably be using GNU/Linux instead of Microsoft Windows. If more game ran natively on GNU/Linux I would not be using Microsoft Windows.

That describes almost every PC gamer. That's why I've never understood why MS has dropped the ball so badly on it and wasted so much time and money on console wars when they had the PC locked up and could have expanded the hell out of it. Yeah, if all games ran native under Linux we would have dumped Windows years ago.

Which is precisely why Valve is investing millions of dollars into this. If they had a real competitor it might force Microsoft to get their act together. Valve was ahead of the curve with digital distribution. Who knows, maybe they'll pull it off again.

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo