Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well it seems like only three months ago we were ringing in the summer here in the northern hemisphere, but here we are on the first day of fall, as the autumnal equinox will come today at 4:44 pm EDT. And following a recent trend, it seems like mother nature is paying extra-close attention to the calendar, as the local forecast calls for the coolest overnight temperatures since May. So there: Happy autumn to those of us above the equator, happy spring to those below the equator, and to those right along the equator, well, the best I can do is suggest sunscreen and air conditioning.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pirates S.O.S.
Stories: Hemsworth Jokes About Marvel Dominance.
Science: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science.
Cows cleared of charges in salmonella epidemic; new suspects named.
Media: Neil deGrasse Tyson: There Is No Speed of Dark.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 17:32 PropheT

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:56:
Quite honestly, if anything, video games are (in general and on the whole) good for a modern, developing mind.

Maybe that's true, but is there evidence to support that, either?

When talking about violent games, it's hard to say. There really haven't been unbiased independent studies done to any degree that a conclusion can be made. It's why I dislike the article pointing at Bushman's report and using that as their only example of their headline; it's a report that's been rebuffed far and wide by everyone but people who are using it as a hammer to drive a point that they reached before they really looked at the facts...something Bushman's been doing for years without the research you'd expect to back up a crusade like that, and it's one that only gets credence because of his profession even though his conclusions are often seemingly met before any research is done to corroborate them.

Gamers react to pieces like this not by saying, like she does, that since I didn't do it then it can't be true. It's that pointing to a game like World of Warcraft, that's been used in articles like the one in the Daily Mirror recently about violent games, you're looking at a population sampling larger than dozens of entire countries and then extrapolating results based on a handful of individuals. They point at WoW because Breivik is a nutbag mass-murderer, and use the game for blame, when the population of the game is larger than the population of the country he was from and there's no evidence whatsoever of WoW players being more violent than anyone else.

To make a short story long, there's not enough evidence to make a specific determination but there's enough anecdotal evidence that you can draw some educated assumptions. It's nothing like climate change, in research, conclusion, or even response. Not that anyone here didn't already know that, I guess.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 17:11 PHJF

SLI VRAM is not cumulative.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 16:33 Cutter

Holy shitsnacks that was just absolutely painful watching that Packers game. So far I've been getting crushed today in my picks. My ass is starting to get sore right about now.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 16:31 Cutter

WaltC wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:29:
Quboid wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 13:47:
Being sceptical for cash isn't science, it's politics and TV ratings. It seems bizarre that anyone would think the big money is in confirming global warming. Those poor oil mining companies and manufacturing industries, getting bullied by those rich and powerful hippies.

LittleMe has it right. The money is generally coming from lunatic governments investing in all kinds of "green" technologies that run through hundreds of billions of dollars before going bankrupt. It's an excuse for the same governments to raise taxes (again!) on the backs of the middle class and the rich, who are the only ones paying income taxes at the moment. (According to the IRS, the top 5% of incomes--ie, the richest people in the country--pay ~42% of all the income taxes collected by the IRS.)

"Denier" is definitely not a scientific term. It's a religious term used because for the people who use the word to accuse others it's not about science at all--it's about faith and belief and emotion. To them, if you don't "believe in Global Warming" of a kind that man can control, then you are a "denier." The science on Global Warming aka Climate Change is as far from being settled as it can be. On that point, it's the Global Warmers who are the real "deniers"...;)

Are you stoned? First off no government likes raising taxes because it's unpopular, and the only way gubments remain in power is by doing popular things. Second, its industry - the polluters that are constantly spending a fortune to discredit global warming, and its obviously working with the less intelligent and educated people on this planet as it always does. Third every scientist and organization out there worth there salt all agree that AGW is reality. It's merely a question of degrees on how good or bad it is, but the consensus is it's bad and it can be stopped. Fourth green energy works, just look at places like Holland. The only people telling you, again, that is doesn't is industry - like big oil. Gee, why on earth would they do that?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 15:45 Quboid

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 15:36:
I have SLI'd 1gb 460's myself, right now only two things that make me wish i had a newer card is Skyrim and Shogun2/R2tw, but thats mostly because of the insane amount of graphics mods i like in my skyrim. In each case the SLI gpu's are fast enough, but the 1gb memory isnt nearly enough. Think i'll hold out for the generation after 700/titan and get atleast 4gb of vram (prolly 6gb) when i do upgrade. Oh and i'm on a 2500k o/c'd to 4.8ghz (can hit 5ghz on air no problem but 4.8 seems to be the sweet spot for my cpu/heat dissipation

If you have 2 cards with 1GB VRAM each, do you have a total of 1GB or 2GB? Does each card need a full copy of the texture data or can they get by with 50% each?

- Quboid

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 15:36 dj LiTh

I have SLI'd 1gb 460's myself, right now only two things that make me wish i had a newer card is Skyrim and Shogun2/R2tw, but thats mostly because of the insane amount of graphics mods i like in my skyrim. In each case the SLI gpu's are fast enough, but the 1gb memory isnt nearly enough. Think i'll hold out for the generation after 700/titan and get atleast 4gb of vram (prolly 6gb) when i do upgrade. Oh and i'm on a 2500k o/c'd to 4.8ghz (can hit 5ghz on air no problem but 4.8 seems to be the sweet spot for my cpu/heat dissipation  

15. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 15:05 NewMaxx

Quboid wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:26:
Nice. What graphics card is with that?

I went with 16GB on my recent upgrade but I'm not sure there's much benefit over 8GB. I have a Geforce 660 2GB, tempted to go SLI - probably better bang:buck than a single 780 or suchlike.

SLI is great. I had 2 8800 GTS 512's, 2 460's, and now 2 760's. Lot of roughness around the edges in that first generation listed, the rest have been stellar. Games that have absolutely no support for it (in-game or from the driver) still manage 70-75% utilization with AFR2, although most titles see 85%, and optimized games (like the Batman games, Skyrim, etc.) see 90-95%. I only have two monitors for it since it's always been wonky with three, though. Also, you definitely need a good CPU to take advantage. My 2500k @ 4.6 has no real issue with the 760's, but my Q6600 @ 3.2 holds back my old 460's and even lagged the 8800's at times.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 14:59 Killer Kane

What a bunch of "deniers"  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 14:56 NewMaxx

PropheT wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:40:
I don't know how she figured video game violence studies are conclusive or even that there's a consensus on it when the only source study she mentioned is the same stupid Bushman study that has holes in it that have been repeatedly pointed out for the last twelve years (read A&M's Chris Ferguson's breakdown of it, for example).

There's a big f'n difference between denying the research that's there and saying there's no established proof of a link.

Quite honestly, if anything, video games are (in general and on the whole) good for a modern, developing mind. Consider the fact that birth rates are ultra low in the developed world. This has many causes, but the reality is the same: when you're not fighting wars that take out 10-20% of your male population (see WWI/WWII, even Napoleonic, American Civil Wars) you don't need the manpower. People live longer, yes, but even in Classical Greece and Rome they demanded 15-20 years from soldiers who came of age at 16.

My point is, of course, that warfare today is largely a matter of virtual control, such as found with drones. Hell, even modern fighter jets and tanks have HUDs out of a video game. There's a reason America's Army was popular. It's a natural step in the evolution of warfare: the individual is taken further afield from the battle. This requires abstract thinking, even though it also means that violence has less direct impact. Keegan's The Face of Battle touches on this concept briefly.

Does that imply a link of causation between playing video games and increased physical violence? I suppose in the sense of losing some inhibitions, perhaps, but any look at mankind's history shows that violence is kind of something we embrace. Abstracting it is not the same as seeing it or doing it. A religious friend of mine recently told me he quit games because to God, "thinking" is the equivalent of "doing." It's not...never was, never will be. Games like The Line are always there to pull us back from the brink, and most people are cognizant of the fact that people do not respawn.

12. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 14:56 Quboid

Require SLI? No. But there are some games which don't run on highest settings. I'd like to turn up Arma 3's view distance and object detail distance and turn on higher AA. I don't know if it has SLI support yet, it would surprise me if it didn't but I'd expect it will soon.  

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 14:50 PHJF

I already have a GTX 760. In fact this whole stupid comprehensive upgrade occurred when the GTX 760 I purchased did absolutely nothing to improve my Borderlands 2 framerate.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 14:40 PropheT

I don't know how she figured video game violence studies are conclusive or even that there's a consensus on it when the only source study she mentioned is the same stupid Bushman study that has holes in it that have been repeatedly pointed out for the last twelve years (read A&M's Chris Ferguson's breakdown of it, for example).

There's a big f'n difference between denying the research that's there and saying there's no established proof of a link.

9. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 14:31 The Half Elf

Quboid wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:26:

I went with 16GB on my recent upgrade but I'm not sure there's much benefit over 8GB. I have a Geforce 660 2GB, tempted to go SLI - probably better bang:buck than a single 780 or suchlike.

Again with my last upgrade my 560ti 1GB handles anything you can throw at it. With exception of Star Citizen, is there anything else coming out in the next 3 years that might even require SLI?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 14:29 WaltC

Quboid wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 13:47:
Being sceptical for cash isn't science, it's politics and TV ratings. It seems bizarre that anyone would think the big money is in confirming global warming. Those poor oil mining companies and manufacturing industries, getting bullied by those rich and powerful hippies.

LittleMe has it right. The money is generally coming from lunatic governments investing in all kinds of "green" technologies that run through hundreds of billions of dollars before going bankrupt. It's an excuse for the same governments to raise taxes (again!) on the backs of the middle class and the rich, who are the only ones paying income taxes at the moment. (According to the IRS, the top 5% of incomes--ie, the richest people in the country--pay ~42% of all the income taxes collected by the IRS.)

"Denier" is definitely not a scientific term. It's a religious term used because for the people who use the word to accuse others it's not about science at all--it's about faith and belief and emotion. To them, if you don't "believe in Global Warming" of a kind that man can control, then you are a "denier." The science on Global Warming aka Climate Change is as far from being settled as it can be. On that point, it's the Global Warmers who are the real "deniers"...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

7. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 14:26 Quboid

- Quboid

6. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 14:24 PHJF

All right, Blue. Hot on your heels.

1 x G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

1 x ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

1 x Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Desktop Kit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250KW

5. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 13:47 Quboid

- Quboid

4. Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 13:34 LittleMe

The word deniers isn't scientific and neither is the article. The word deniers is used to associate them with holocaust deniers. It's also a sort of character assassination. Being skeptical IS science.

A big reason why there is so much consensus on anthropogenic global warming is because there is a LOT of money to say so. As in many, many billions every year. What happens to your scientific career if you come out skeptical about AGW? Your career is probably finished.

I guess personally I feel there is some AGW, but the issue has been blown way out of proportion and the greedy powers-that-be are scurrying to scam the world population on the most expensive con-job ever on AGW. There are much bigger issues looming over us, in my opinion.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

3. 4:44:44:44 PM EDT? Sep 22, 2013, 13:17 Ant

Is it exactly all 4s?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 13:09 Cutter

Well it's looking to be 18C/64F here on average over the next 2 weeks which is just slightly above seasonal from the looks of it, but yeah it's dropping off at night. Still, all intelligent and right-thinking people know fall is the best season of them all.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo