Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well it seems like only three months ago we were ringing in the summer here in the northern hemisphere, but here we are on the first day of fall, as the autumnal equinox will come today at 4:44 pm EDT. And following a recent trend, it seems like mother nature is paying extra-close attention to the calendar, as the local forecast calls for the coolest overnight temperatures since May. So there: Happy autumn to those of us above the equator, happy spring to those below the equator, and to those right along the equator, well, the best I can do is suggest sunscreen and air conditioning.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pirates S.O.S.
Stories: Hemsworth Jokes About Marvel Dominance.
Science: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science.
Cows cleared of charges in salmonella epidemic; new suspects named.
Media: Neil deGrasse Tyson: There Is No Speed of Dark.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2013, 10:31 Mr. Tact

The Giants losing to Cam Newton having a good day I can understand. Losing 38-0, is much more than just that. My Cowboys have managed to get to a 2-1 division lead, but I don't think they look particularly good. Andy Reid apparently doing a fantastic job in KC.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2013, 10:26 Jivaro

I think the 49ers are having a bit of a reality check. Winning in the NFL, even against the worst teams, is hard. With V. Davis out and the running game not really producing I imagine it is REALLY hard. In the last two games the defense has basically said "Run CK, I dare ya." and he hasn't been making them pay.

I think they will get it together but I think the Seahawks are showing a hell of a lot more heart, determination, and preparation then the 49ers right now. As a 49er fan, that really hurts to admit..lol.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2013, 04:39 dj LiTh

Prez wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 00:13:
Holy shitsnacks that was just absolutely painful watching that Packers game.

Try being a Giants Fan. Exhausted The Packers are easily the best 1-2 team in the league and if they don't make a big turnaround I'd be surprised.

49ers fans would disagree with that statement

38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2013, 00:13 Prez

Holy shitsnacks that was just absolutely painful watching that Packers game.

Try being a Giants Fan. Exhausted The Packers are easily the best 1-2 team in the league and if they don't make a big turnaround I'd be surprised.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 22:07 The Half Elf

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 19:50:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:31:
Again with my last upgrade my 560ti 1GB handles anything you can throw at it. With exception of Star Citizen, is there anything else coming out in the next 3 years that might even require SLI?

ARMA 3.

The entire ARMA series wouldn't run better if ya threw a dozen Cray super computers at it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 22:06 Rigs

*looks at Giants score and cringes*

*quickly stuffs Giants hat under pillow*

Didn't you guys say I would have fun doing this picking thing? So far the only thing it's given me is indigestion...

5 out of 14, btw...did anyone have a good weekend?

-=Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

35. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 21:24 jdreyer

LittleMe wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 13:34:
The word deniers isn't scientific and neither is the article. The word deniers is used to associate them with holocaust deniers. It's also a sort of character assassination. Being skeptical IS science.

A big reason why there is so much consensus on anthropogenic global warming is because there is a LOT of money to say so. As in many, many billions every year. What happens to your scientific career if you come out skeptical about AGW? Your career is probably finished.

I guess personally I feel there is some AGW, but the issue has been blown way out of proportion and the greedy powers-that-be are scurrying to scam the world population on the most expensive con-job ever on AGW. There are much bigger issues looming over us, in my opinion.

Being skeptical IS science, but you don't see people denying the theory of gravity. That's about where we are with AGW. Almost no one with any knowledge of it denies it, and those that do are inevitably funded by industries whose interests lie in denying it.

As for the money, you're either trolling or ignorant. Exxon, just one company in one industry that relies on the status quo, made 44 billion dollars in profit last year. Total solar industry revenues (not profit) in the US is only 20 billion. Exxon could buy every single solar cell sold in the US twice over if it wanted. It's not even comparable. Petroleum has 20 trillion dollars in assets deployed world wide. It is the largest, most dominant industry on the planet. And this isn't to mention every other industry that needs to maintain the status quo: gas, coal, plastics, aviation, automotive, farming, pharmaceuticals, etc. etc.

Out of proportion? If anything scientists have been too cautious. They have consistently UNDER-estimated the rate at which change would occur. This should be terrifying. Scientists are the guys in the back seat telling us to slow down because there's a hairpin curve coming up, and the guy in the driver's seat decides to hit the accelerator and turn up the radio. And other passengers in the car say "I don't believe in hairpin curves. Just get me to the burger shop so I can stuff my face."

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 20:06 jdreyer

PropheT wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:40:
I don't know how she figured video game violence studies are conclusive or even that there's a consensus on it when the only source study she mentioned is the same stupid Bushman study that has holes in it that have been repeatedly pointed out for the last twelve years (read A&M's Chris Ferguson's breakdown of it, for example).

There's a big f'n difference between denying the research that's there and saying there's no established proof of a link.

Yeah, one of these things is not like the other.
- Global warming has been studied by 1000s of scientists, video game violence much, much less.
- Global warming is having demonstrable effects on the environment: rising sea levels, glacial and sea ice melt off, rising global temps, an increase in extreme weather events. Whereas during the increase in popularity of violent video games, violent crime rates have plummeted.
- Global warming is and will affect billions of people's lives, and could possibly result in millions of deaths through starvation and weather events. Assuming violent video games causes increased aggression, we've not seen that have an effect on billions or even millions of people.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 20:04 Mr. Tact

Eight wrong for me so far, however on all but one of those the majority of picks were also wrong. So.. it will be interesting to see if anyone actually managed a good week.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 20:01 dj LiTh

I got 10 picks wrong this week lol, and i started from week 2, not lookin good for me this year. But my Colts won, so i'm happy  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 19:54 Cutter

Oh man, I made virtually every wrong pick there is this week. I knew it was going to be a tough week for picks but this is ridiculous.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

30. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 19:50 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:31:
Again with my last upgrade my 560ti 1GB handles anything you can throw at it. With exception of Star Citizen, is there anything else coming out in the next 3 years that might even require SLI?

ARMA 3.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 19:50 Mr. Tact

Giants lose 38-0 to the Panthers? WTH? Confused  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 19:48 dj LiTh

Quboid wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 15:45:
dj LiTh wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 15:36:
I have SLI'd 1gb 460's myself, right now only two things that make me wish i had a newer card is Skyrim and Shogun2/R2tw, but thats mostly because of the insane amount of graphics mods i like in my skyrim. In each case the SLI gpu's are fast enough, but the 1gb memory isnt nearly enough. Think i'll hold out for the generation after 700/titan and get atleast 4gb of vram (prolly 6gb) when i do upgrade. Oh and i'm on a 2500k o/c'd to 4.8ghz (can hit 5ghz on air no problem but 4.8 seems to be the sweet spot for my cpu/heat dissipation

If you have 2 cards with 1GB VRAM each, do you have a total of 1GB or 2GB? Does each card need a full copy of the texture data or can they get by with 50% each?

As PHJF said its not cumulative, so if you have two 1gb cards then you have a total of 1gb of vram. Its why on my next vid card purchase i'm going crazy on the vram as i think textures are going to be getting a lot bigger real quick in the coming years.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 19:26 WarPig

Yeah, a tough week for the football picks, but I have to ask... who the hell picked the Jags? Huh  

GO SEAHAWKS!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 19:20 NewMaxx

PropheT wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 17:32:
Maybe that's true, but is there evidence to support that, either?

To make a short story long, there's not enough evidence to make a specific determination but there's enough anecdotal evidence that you can draw some educated assumptions. It's nothing like climate change, in research, conclusion, or even response. Not that anyone here didn't already know that, I guess.

Actually, there's plenty of material out there. It just doesn't make the news and in many cases actually requires you to be faculty, alumni, or student (I am all three). I suggest reading ScienceDaily regularly but it only gets some of it. I won't link specific examples...well just one I found within 5 seconds of looking, here, which suggests it is inconclusive, but also here that disproves the negative (effectively as you say there is no link). However I never said violent video games are good, I said video games in general. Which is true - it helps in many places, such as spatial concepts, and increasingly social arenas (ironically). Violent games are fairly a different medium and I admit my post was leaning towards warfare...but my point was that it is a viable alternative to traditional warfare where PTSD has become commonplace.

Wanted to add that articles like this are interesting to me since my focus is on AI and robotics. I mentioned before on here that when I did a study with human-like robots, people liked them up to a degree...but when they became "too human," they hated it and became aggressive.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2013, 19:28.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 19:14 Mr. Tact

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 18:19:
.......I hate football.....
Yeah... I'm not going to be in first place after this week, looking like an 8-8 week....

24. Re: Global Warming, Video Game Violence Deniers Roll Dice With Science. Sep 22, 2013, 18:56 Beamer

WaltC wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:29:
(According to the IRS, the top 5% of incomes--ie, the richest people in the country--pay ~42% of all the income taxes collected by the IRS.)

This always strikes me as such backwards thinking.

The top 5% pays 42% of income tax. Who cares? What's more important than what portion of income tax they pay is what portion of income they earn.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 18:19 xXBatmanXx

.......I hate football.....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 17:37 Agent.X7

Please don't post up stories as "science" when they are written by some hack who also reports on Cyrus and Cher, Transgender Prom Queens, and other drivel. My cat can do better "science."  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo