Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well push finally came to shove, and I will be getting the parts for a new PC today. After reading about the mild to nonexistent performance improvements and surprising heat problems in the fourth-gen Intel CPUs I indeed opted for a previous-gen 3570 CPU and sprung a little extra for an ASUS Sabertooth motherboard. For a long time now I've been determined to have an SSD boot drive in my next build, so I am doing that, which should be fun, and should combine with that motherboard to make for surprisingly quick boot times.

Rigged Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Max Dirt Bike 3.
Junk Yard Stunts.
Stories: Coca-Cola Apologizes for Offensive Bottle Cap. Better retard than never.
Beanie Babies Creator Charged with Tax Evasion. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: Arctic melt season over, leaving behind more ice than recent years.
Explosive dispersal: Microbes hitch a ride on volcanic eruptions.
Proof of alien life: You need a lot more evidence than this.
Media: Clueless Gamer: Conan Reviews "Grand Theft Auto V".
Everyday Products You've Been Using Wrong.
Neil deGrasse Tyson Explains How Gravity Affects Time.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2013, 09:53 Verno

I haven't had a chance to play it yet but a buddy was telling me that the new Amnesia game was made by a different team and was a bit dumbed down.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 16:19 Jivaro

Totally onboard with that.

edit: I should note that I haven't tried the sequel to Amnesia yet, which is why I didn't really comment on those games. I promised myself I wouldn't buy it until I completely finished the first game...something I haven't quite done yet. (embarrassingly enough)

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2013, 16:28.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 16:06 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 15:23:

I'm totally on board with everything you said and understand what they're trying to accomplish. What I'm looking to avoid however is something like Dear Esther. The Amnesia sequel is getting awfully close to that.

Quantic Dream's games have had a lot of quick time style events and button pressing / gestures to advance the game, where Frictional hasn't had stuff like that but they've had more puzzle oriented game play. As those two developers have released more games they've cut down on both but they haven't replaced it with anything else. What I'd really like to see is a combination of the two aspects some actually challenging puzzles beyond pulling levers and some gestures that are more natural and less button sequences. I love the drawer and door opening in Frictional's games (which they've been reducing unfortunately) but pulling that off on console controller's is a little more difficult. When I talk about simplification I don't want to restrict that just to the player's agility with the controls but to whether the game is challenging on a puzzle aspect. "What do I need to do to accomplish my goal?" I'd like that to be more than, push this button or talk to this person.

But yes the cinema style story and experience combined with the ability to make choices and affect the story line are primarily what I go for.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 15:52 PHJF

Damn you people and your SSDs, I'm ordering my own.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

58. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 15:23 Jivaro

Edit: I hear ya Sepharo, but follow me on this. This post got much longer then I intended...I promise there is a point here...lol...

I think Quantic Dream is trying to use the video game medium in a way that is unique to the industry. It only works when the story is REALLY good, but so far that has been the case. I certainly wouldn't want all of my games to play the way their games do, but as long as they keep up the quality of their stories I am going to keep buying them.

As an example: Heavy Rain using the PlayStation Move was more than an interesting experiment, it was one of the most unique gaming experiences of the past console generation. This wasn't a game targeted at the stereotypical console gamer. This was a story using the unique attributes of the console platform to convey a story that is meant to be every bit as enveloping as a movie or book, perhaps more so because of the interactivity. As such, streamlining the controls so that their audience doesn't have to take their attention away from the story to control the game is essential. In a sense they are willfully saying "story first, the gameplay is something you shouldn't even think about". I am personally interested to see where they take that theory next, but not just because I liked Heavy Rain. I will come back to this in a minute.

Someone else on the same platform who has had a lot of critical acclaim for great storytelling is Naughty Dog, but they do it a bit differently. They have great stories, but they will make story concessions for the sake of gameplay in the same way that Hollywood will compromise on details for the sake of a flashy explosion. Naughty Dog has found a balance that really works for their target audience. That is a great thing. I have loved their last 4 games. But...

Here comes the "personal interest bit". My wife isn't a gamer and she has fibromyalgia. She doesn't game because every game she has tried that didn't set off her condition was just not interesting. She doesn't want to play games aimed at a 10 year old and she has about as much interest in the Sims as I do. (none) A Naughty Dog game sounds great to her, but using their current design approach it will never be something she can enjoy no matter how cool the premise sounds to her because of her condition. What Quantic Dream managed to do with Heavy Rain was connect with a non-gamer through a great story and despite her physical limitations she was able to fully enjoy the game as a whole. The controls, using the gamepad or the Move, were not something she ever had to even think about. (after the first hour of course) I don't think all video games need to do this, or even most of them, but I do think that it a great thing that someone has and that more someones probably will.

My point is that we can use words like "simplification", and I have in the past, but the developers have to recognize who their target audience is and decide what that audience wants from the control scheme. If the story is meant to be the draw the controls can't be a limitation, they have to be part of the experience in a way that you almost forget they are there. For all the jokes we long time gamers make about console gaming *dumbing* things down, the Wii using motion gaming as a gimmick, Bioware deciding that no one should be able to jump, etc....there are some very real success stories that came out of this past generation and many of them have everything to do with making gaming more attractive to more people and doing it in ways that actually improve the experience. If they actually improve the quality of the storytelling while making the games more inclusive, I just can't look at that with any kind of negative slant.

57. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 14:16 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 14:06:
I am very much looking forward to Two Souls. I have always been a huge fan of Quantic Dream. I own and enjoyed all of their previous games...even The Indigo Prophecy.

Same here. Though I liked the name Fahrenheit better

Though I do worry about the simplification of their games.

They're a lot like Frictional Games (Penumbra, Amnesia) where it seems that the more success they have and the more mainstream their games get the less "gameplay" there is.

56. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 14:06 Jivaro

nin wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 03:35:

Congrats on the house! That's no small feat, especially in this day and age.

Thanks man

I am very much looking forward to Two Souls. I have always been a huge fan of Quantic Dream. I own and enjoyed all of their previous games...even The Indigo Prophecy.

55. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 08:24 SpectralMeat

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 12:53:
I have the same problem. One of the last 2 months windows or driver (nvidia?) updates broke stand-by entirely for me (freezes/bsod on resume)

Looking online it seems a lot of people have this same issue.
This fixed my problem with the BSOD right after wake from sleep:

Solution for BSOD after wakeup:

Go to "Device Manager" > Expand "Disk drives" > Right click your hard disk drive or SSD > Click "Properties" > Choose "Policies" > Uncheck "Enable write caching on the device" > Click "OK"

do the same for any storage device on your PC -if necessary-

Steam: SpectralMeat

54. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 06:07 Julio

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 20:44:
Reading from the US it is offensive, but isn't French still the main language in Canada?

French is an 'official' language, but it's spoken most often by only 20% of the population. It's pretty unlikely that the explanation by Coke is true, as where the product was distributed was Western Canada where 1% of the population or less speak French. They'd be more credible if the whole phrase was in French.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 03:35 nin

Just think - when my launch PS4 burns through the floor, you might have a nice revision model that runs cool and doesn't burn down your house.

I'm waiting on Last of Us for either a GOTY all DLC edition, $15, or a PS4 high def version. Injustice is fun, but I'm a total button mashing noob, who doesn't dare attempt to play online.

I've got a ton of videos I need to watch on Beyond, to figure out what the deal is, but like you said, the holidays will be here (way too) soon and I suspect that one will wait for a $20 sale (or maybe another PS4 remaster).

Congrats on the house! That's no small feat, especially in this day and age.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

52. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 02:32 Jivaro

I am really jealous of you Nin. I wanted to pre-order a PS4...actually I did pre-order one. Had to cancel it. Buying a house+upcoming holidays+daughter in college has effectively frozen my game spending for at least the next 5 months.

I haven't even played The Last of Us or Injustice or Ni No Kuni yet...and Beyond: Two Souls is coming on the 8th.....

Arg.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 02:23 1badmf

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 01:38:
Cool think I will order Watch Dogs for one of the current gen systems......IF I get bored with GTA O.

but baby will be here....so I might disappear for a while....

why one of the consoles? just get it for pc. that's the only reason i'm not gettin a nextgen box at launch. watchdogs is the only launch title i'm lusting after.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 01:38 xXBatmanXx

Cool think I will order Watch Dogs for one of the current gen systems......IF I get bored with GTA O.

but baby will be here....so I might disappear for a while....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

49. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 00:24 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 00:07:
Did we know Nov 14th is PS4 release date? Best Buy updated their site with a page talking about midnight release stores.

And Nov 22 for Xbone.

Amazon shows mine for delivery on the 15th.

(If amazon is correct) Games are out a few days early, on the 12th (got AC4 and WatchDogs coming).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

48. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 00:07 xXBatmanXx

Did we know Nov 14th is PS4 release date? Best Buy updated their site with a page talking about midnight release stores.

And Nov 22 for Xbone.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 21:29 HorrorScope

Those without a SSD but with a lot of ram, look into PrimoCache. It's like a Ramdisk, but it manages everything, not just things you load to it. System ram even faster than SSD.

Setup/Review: Primo

46. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 20:44 xXBatmanXx

Julio wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 18:32:
On the Coke story, the retard word is just like the n word. Once widely accepted, now not classy to use. Guess I'll be drinking Pepsi.

The medical field still uses it, and people take offense when medics, firefighters, and police use it on scene. For some reason they seem to think that saying "M-R" is better. I dunno. It is only partially offensive in the article. Reading from the US it is offensive, but isn't French still the main language in Canada?

45. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 20:40 xXBatmanXx

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 14:43:
If anyone has resolved their issue with white screen background, let me know. Firefox is completely updated and cookies and cache was cleared.

The page loads with black background then flashes to white when text loads.

Wel, on a related note, I get links that the color matches the background on multiple computers. Anyone else have this issue also?

44. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 18:32 Julio

On the Coke story, the retard word is just like the n word. Once widely accepted, now not classy to use. Guess I'll be drinking Pepsi.  

43. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 16:12 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 15:24:
I kinda wish I'd bought another SSD earlier in the year before there was a shortage of chips, causing the price to rise. They were getting down and under the $0.70/GB(I did see a few times the cost w/rebates as low as .40/GB) cost with rebates at more than one time. And to think, that it wasn't all that long ago we were looking at .50/MB heh.

That's the one beautiful thing about PCs is that the prices will always come back down. So long as you're not in a rush and have to buy something immediately if you can wait a while it'll always get cheaper again. Just look at RAM prices over the years, goes up and down like a yo-yo.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo